Saturday, December 16, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "In this issue: an Outhouser will DIE!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Is Apple Evil?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 am

From - http://atlanticwire.theatlantic.com/rea ... php?id=664

Aug 10 2009, 5:26pm by Benjamin F. Carlson

Is Apple Evil?

The company's obsessive perfectionism has won it popularity--and a few detractors.
It's a race to the bottom for the favor of tech-pundits: which much-adored company, Apple or Google, should we fall out of love with sooner?

Tipping the scales against Apple is Jason Calacanis, founder of Weblogs and Maholo. His argument hit the Web on Saturday, immediately igniting a blogospheric explosion. Here's a precis of his case, which focuses mostly on the company's tendency to exert extremely fine-grained control over its products:

1. Destroying MP3 innovation through anti-competitive practices

2. Monopolistic practices in telecommunications

3. Draconian App store policies that are, frankly, insulting

4. Being a horrible hypocrite by banning other browsers on the iPhone

5. Blocking the Google Voice Application on the iPhone

The blowback was passionate and striking. MG Siegler at TechCrunch articulated the strongest rebuttal, arguing that Apple's intense finickiness and obsessive control over its products is exactly what makes the company good.

While Calacanis certainly has some valid points, I would argue that some of his points simply reinforce what makes Apple, Apple. By controlling the ecosystem surrounding their products, Apple ensures a great user experience for the majority of users...If Apple stops making products that are great, it will start to decline. If someone else comes along with a better product, Apple will decline. It's that simple

But more than a few voices seconded the idea that Apple had gone from being a counter-cultural, anti-corporate warrior to a profit seeking would-be monopolist like any other. As Dion Almaer writes:

It feels like we are at the start of a real sea change. A bunch of people reached out to say "I am kinda feeling that too."...We are being far too easy on Apple. Jason is right, we should be outraged!

Has public opinion begun to flip, such that Microsoft--the perennial bete noire of tech commentators--is now the underdog, while Apple has become a lumbering villain, and Google a greedy monopolist?

Hmmm... sounds like another group out there...

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 am

They did just make it a hassle just to get a DICTIONARY approved for the app store.

Tilt

Mad Hatter

Postby Tilt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:10 am

I loved my Apple 2e...things went downhill when they stopped putting out Eamon games. :evil:

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 am

I think Apple should be careful. As they get more popular, they are getting more protective of their products and although I get protecting your lead...sometimes these types of companies do it at the cost of innovation. Part of what hurt MS was these activities, it made people and governments look at them in a bad light and kept them from moving forward which ultimately is making them fall behind on ideas from Apple, Google, Facebook, etc.

I haven't liked Apples app store policies or the crap with killing google voice app or even them letting ATT allow blockage of sites so people have to buy services from ATT to get what you should be getting for free with Internet access.

I'm looking forward to the apple tablet, but if it is run from the app store; I wont get it.

cyphon

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cyphon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 am

I'm all about google. They put out great products that are, for the most part, free. They are dedicated to innovation and coming out with neat cool products. That's good in my book.

leave a comment with facebook