Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 am

Punchy wrote:Sounds better than Final Crisis already.

Shut up! It was awesome!

This'll be better though
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:57 am

King Impulse wrote:Shut up! It was awesome!

This'll be better though

Ultimatum was better than Final Crisis!

I don't actually think that but I'm saying it anyway!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 676 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Punchy wrote:I hate you.

You idiothole!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Ultimatum was better than Final Crisis!

I don't actually think that but I'm saying it anyway!

You scared me for a second.

So how long is this current arc of Daredevil? So I can get the parts before this one possibly?

We could always visit Adventure Comics #3 when it's my pick :-D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:You scared me for a second.

So how long is this current arc of Daredevil? So I can get the parts before this one possibly?

We could always visit Adventure Comics #3 when it's my pick :-D

There have been 4 parts of 'Return of the King' so far, #500 is the last chapter. You may also want to get the 'Lady Bullseye' story, which is in trade I think.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 pm

With it being an anniversary issue, I don't see it being impenatrable to new readers.

I see it this way, you can pay $5 for a great Daredevil story, or $3 for a mediocre at best, Batgirl story. Next week is really light on pickable stuff.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 pm

From the moment Captain America appears, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1 is pure nerd boner. Cap on a motorcyle exploding out of a building and jumping into a helicopter is such a wonderful Captain America-y thing for Captain America to do I couldn't help but love this comic. Mark Millar is at his best when he treats his comics like action movies and nothing really says action quite like Hawkeye and Captain America fighting A.I.M. in helicopters above the city of Chicago. It's the perfect antidote for the absurdity that the Ultimate Universe has become in recent years and it reads the same regardless of whether you abandoned ship after Ultimates 2 or if you suffered through to the end of Ultimatum. While the twist ending has been out there on the internet for a few weeks, I can't help but be excited to see where the story is going and how the characters on the back of the wrap-around cover will factor into it.

Carlos Pacheco's return to a book with Avengers in the title is long overdue. With his work on Avengers Forever he will always be one of my favorite Avengers artists and his work in this issue is superb. His layouts are exceptional and you can feel the motion in the action sequences. I might even like the way he's drawing Ultimate Cap's costume better than the way Hitch originally designed it. On top of that Justin Ponsor's colors jump off of the page.

Story: 9
Art: 9.5
Overall: 9.25
Last edited by ****** on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:15 pm

This is coming in my BOC, so I should be getting it Monday and post a review shortly after. I'll be avoiding this thread until then so none of you bastiches spoil the book for me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:55 pm

McKegan wrote:This is coming in my BOC, so I should be getting it Monday and post a review shortly after. I'll be avoiding this thread until then so none of you bastiches spoil the book for me.

Bruce willis was dead.

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:11 pm

King Impulse wrote:I will be getting this week's, even though I'm trade waiting, I haven't done a review in a few weeks and feel I should what with it being my pick next week.

Oh, about that pick, I'll get it out of the way early

DAREDEVIL # 500

If you have sand in your vagina over the price, don't moan to me, just don't buy it.

I'll probably wait until my BOC arrives to review it, but awesome choice. 8)

[center]Image
Daredevil #500
as selected by King Impulse[/center]
WRITER: Ed Brubaker & Ann Nocenti :shock:
PENCILS: David Aja & Michael Lark

THE STORY:
This is it! The 500th issue of DAREDEVIL! What is the Kingpin's true plan? What do he and Lady Bullseye have in common? What will Matt Murdock do to make things right again? And just how will Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark leave this story for the next creative team to pick it up? Don’t miss the twists and surprises that will have everybody talking! An all-star anniversary issue featuring new stories by Ann Nocenti, David Aja, and others! New and Reprint/Rated T …$4.99

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 pm

two things...
1. My EIC completely destroyed my brain, but it turns out I was assigned this book, so it will be my normal quote and score, should work it for this evening....

2. This is all I will say about EBAY this week... I thought it was known, but evidently not, I will give any outhouser free domestic shipping on any comic in the store. I will work out a discount for anyone overseas (but will have to forgo the patented indestructible box)...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 184 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Looking forward to reading this later tonight. :-D

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 pm

sweet! I actually just got this comic, will have a review up in the next couple of days

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:sweet! I actually just got this comic, will have a review up in the next couple of days

Days? Do it now! :x

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:two things...
1. My EIC completely destroyed my brain, but it turns out I was assigned this book, so it will be my normal quote and score, should work it for this evening....

2. This is all I will say about EBAY this week... I thought it was known, but evidently not, I will give any outhouser free domestic shipping on any comic in the store. I will work out a discount for anyone overseas (but will have to forgo the patented indestructible box)...

SWEET! How about a link to that store mr. fourthy?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand