Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Chubbles wrote:[/b]

SWEET! How about a link to that store mr. fourthy?

http://myworld.ebay.com/ultimatecomicsonline/

I just bought the Mark Gruenwald Hawkeye mini, the Chuck Dixon Hawkeye mini and Larry Hama's Kitty Pryde: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. so the really awesome stuff is gone, but I'm sure you can find something. ;)

Hey Lee, do you really expect to get that much for the Morrison Batman run? If so I'm putting my issues up tonight when I get home.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Punchy wrote:I hate you.

You idiothole!

that's Mr. Idiothole to you! :evil:

I'll be posting my review in a bit. I actually read this about five times. It's easy when it reads as easy as a Dr. Suess book. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Ultimate Comics: Avengers #1
That. Was. Awesome.
It took 2 issues of Loeb's Ultimates to get me out of the Ultimate Universe and only one of Millar and Pacheco's to get me back. I don't know what happened in the Ultimates after I dropped it and I guess there was a flood after Ultimatum but that stuff does not not matter, it felt like I just came off reading the first 2 Millar penned Ultimates when Cap came smashing through that window on his motorcycle. This thing was bad ass moment after bad ass moment and what a great ending. Unlike last weeks train wreck of a pick that gave no reason to come back to the next issue this one shows exactly how to start a comic, which has always been Millar's strength (hopefully this stays on time and ends as strong). The art was great, Pacheco definitely channeled Hitch's Ultimates work and maybe even matches it with wide screen panels to give this the same big action movie feel, after seeing how cocky and bad ass Cap is riding through windows, jumping off helicopters, the last page is just a perfect visual of how unbelievably shocked he is after getting his ass handed to him and hearing the words whispered in his ear... or he was just shocked that with just one swing Mark Millar could make the Ultimate Universe relevant again.

STORY - 10

ART 9

OVERALL 9.5

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Ultimate Avengers #1

I'm not quite sure what makes this book any different than any other superhero book that's out right now. At least the good ones. Yes, I thought this was as enjoyable as all other good team comics, but it wasn't awe inspiring either.

I've got to say I'm actually tickeled to finally read something that Millar wrote. After the disaster that he just finished in Fantastic Four, I did not have high hopes for this, or at least my enjoyment of it.

The art was extremely well done. But I hate Hawkeye's costume. I mean, hate it! Stupid outfit if you ask me. I totally understand that feel of a popcorn summer blockbuster movie. Millar and crew give that in spades. But like 99% of those big blockbusters, there's not really a lot of substance, either. NOt that that is a bad thing.

Story: 5
Art: 9
My Score: 5.5
Last edited by Starlord on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Not enough Blade.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Greg wrote:Not enough Blade.

Just having him on the back cover was excessive use of Blade. :wink:

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just having him on the back cover was excessive use of Blade. :wink:

The nerve. :x
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:53 pm

Greg wrote:The nerve. :x

I just can't get behind a vampire that can survive direct exposure to sunlight. :smt102

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Greg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:58 pm

amlah6 wrote:I just can't get behind a vampire that can survive direct exposure to sunlight. :smt102

He's a half-breed, dammit! :x
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:19 am

Ultimate Comics Avengers #1

So is it safe to say that Mark Millar is back in form here? I'd say so. Sure we really only get 2 of our "avengers" in action as Tony does his impression of the late 80's 616 tony but it's still a blast. Fury returns home to an almost breaking 4th wall comment that really sets up the issue for me.

There was nothing here for me to hate in this issue, Loeb made me hate Ultimate Hawkeye and here comes Millar making me love the character again. Clint's a lovable dick here as he and Cap take out two armed helicopters and get a few more hints into what's happened since a certain event.

The introduction of Red Skull was a great opening mystery and sets up a lot for the over all tone of the series. Millar's scripts must read like a good michael bay movie with just how much action and exposition he manages to attach.

Oh and let me not forget one of my favorite artists I've been following since he was the co penciller on busiek's avengers Carlos Pacheco. Out of left field his art has changed so much that it's unrecognizable from his old style. It lends itself so much to the script that it's not even funny

Over all grade: Ultimate comics Avengers #1 you get an 8
Script: 7
Art: 10

Best line: "What kind of girl gets stopped by a bomb?" :-D

Seriously, at the end of the day this was a fun comic with great writing. I'm only changing my score because it sadly wasn't perfect. But to tear it apart is rather childish.
Last edited by doombug on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:26 am

starlord wrote:Ultimate Avengers #1

I'm not quite sure what makes this book any different than any other superhero book that's out right now. At least the good ones. Yes, I thought this was as enjoyable as all other good team comics, but it wasn't awe inspiring either.

I've got to say I'm actually tickeled to finally read something that Millar wrote. After the disaster that he just finished in Fantastic Four, I did not have high hopes for this, or at least my enjoyment of it.

The art was extremely well done. But I hate Hawkeye's costume. I mean, hate it! Stupid outfit if you ask me. I totally understand that feel of a popcorn summer blockbuster movie. Millar and crew give that in spades. But like 99% of those big blockbusters, there's not really a lot of substance, either. NOt that that is a bad thing.

Story: 3
Art: 9
My Score: 5.5

I'm sorry, but this review is bullshit, so it's not the best thing ever, and you give the story a 3/10? You say it's as good as all the other good team books, and it's only a 3/10? Does not compute. Most books are not awe-inspiring, to fault a book for not reinventing the wheel is a flawed expectation.

I think you are biased against Millar and also Marvel as a whole, you gave Doom Patrol a 4/10 for story! You gave Blackest Night a 9.5/10 for story! Was the gulf between that book and this so large?

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 am

I liked the book a lot. I haven't been keeping up with the Ultimates since Millar and Hitch left(I could smell Ultimates 3 for the turd it was). The characters all felt very much like they did when Millar was writing them. I read some of what Loeb had done to Fury and I didn't like it. I prefer Nick to be a like able bad ass not complete a douche bag. He can be cold blooded but that's only something he should bring out on occasion. So props to Millar for that. Also the action scenes were very well done.

The art was gorgeous but being a huge Carlos Pacheo fan I expected no less. He did change up his style a bit to try and be a bit more Hitch-like but I'm fine with that. I loved the way he drew Captain America's outfit. I hate the chinstrap myself. They need to get Hawkeye out of that god ugly costume as soon as possible. It's too 1990's.

Story 8
Art 9

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Ultimate Comics Avengers #1 I give an F!

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 am

an F for Fantastic, an F for Fun, and F for about Fing time ultimates got back to what they should be.

i love this issue, the art was awesome, (can this guy do monthiles? please say he can)

and I can't wait to see where this story line is going or who will round out the team.

after Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum this was sorely needed to give the Ultimate universe so much needed oof.

way to go Miller

overall: 9.5

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:59 am

Awesome issue. This is what a fun book should be. I wasn't looking for too much substance here so I wasn't let down with the story. Millar takes what Loeb tries to do and makes it work. I'm a big Ultimate Clint fan I'm glad to see he survived Ultimatum and hopefully will take on a bigger role now. That Red Skull re-design is fucking badass. He looks fucking scary! I do think they play up the Tony alcohol thing a bit much but still that was a good scene with him at the strip club. The cliffhanger was great and I am so glad the Ultimate U is relevant again outside of spiderman.

As for the art, WOW. Pacheco bought his A+ game for this issue. Cap on the bike was absolutely gorgeous. This is one of the prettiest looking books I've seen in a damn long time. I'm not sure how fast Pacheco works but I really, really hope him and Millar stay on the same page here and get this thing out on time. It'd be a shame for a book with this much potential to let delays de-rail it.

Story 8
Art 11!
Overall 9.5

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:58 pm

OMG! MILLAR AND PACECHEBLOW NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR THIZ!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I had a good time with it. The art was solid, but the writing was a little weak. Then again, this is a set up issue and I'm anticipating the next issue.

8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand