Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Punchy wrote:But if they are well-written now, then that's all that matters.

That remains to be seen. I may very well be singing a different tune once more issues are out, but right now Ultimate Avengers is just average, at best.

And to be honest, I didn't even bother giving Ult. Spidey a shot. The art is fugly to me. :(

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Punchy wrote:No, I'm asking for just a few ideas.

Well, I did give the ones I had while reading it when I posted my review. I said I thought the issue would have been better served with added pages, another subplot involving other Ultimates, and [I implied] greater complexity. It needed that extra-punch to grab those of us who either still remember the recent crap with displeasure or even completely avoided it due to distaste for the Loeb issues.

Ultimatum just ended, for Pete's sake, it was not well-received by critics or anyone I ever talked to or heard from. One cannot just pretend it never happened. Why it was left to Jeph Loeb after U3 is baffling, but it was.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Chris wrote:That remains to be seen. I may very well be singing a different tune once more issues are out, but right now Ultimate Avengers is just average, at best.

And to be honest, I didn't even bother giving Ult. Spidey a shot. The art is fugly to me. :(

I really like LaFuente.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I would've given some clarity to the state of the Ultimate universe.

This issue reads to me as if Millar assumes everyone reading his book has kept up to date with things.

I dropped Ultimates 3 after the first issue, and didn't read any of Ultimatum or it's tie-ins. I have no clue what's been going on other than that a bunch of heroes died.

This book just picks up at a seemingly random point, and fills up 80% of the pages with an uninteresting action scene.

Part of what made The Ultimates 1 & 2 good was that they started off well. The first one introduced you to the world, and the second shows you where everyone was after the events of Ultimates 1, and set up the new 'season'..

This did none of that, outside of the Hawkeye/Fury part at the beginning.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Punchy wrote:I really like LaFuente.

I know alot of people do. I feel like I'm reading the kiddy version of Spider-Man. Marvel Age or whatever it's called.

I don't like it at all.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Punchy wrote:I really like LaFuente.

Art can be a matter of individual taste, of course, but an artist who just doesn't click with you can ruin an otherwise enjoyable reading experience.

At least there, you can say it IS a departure, or new imagining of this character and his cast I guess. I didn't buy it though, I can't afford too many other $3.99 books I won't follow.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Chris wrote:I would've given some clarity to the state of the Ultimate universe.

This issue reads to me as if Millar assumes everyone reading his book has kept up to date with things.

I dropped Ultimates 3 after the first issue, and didn't read any of Ultimatum or it's tie-ins. I have no clue what's been going on other than that a bunch of heroes died.

This book just picks up at a seemingly random point, and fills up 80% of the pages with an uninteresting action scene.

Part of what made The Ultimates 1 & 2 good was that they started off well. The first one introduced you to the world, and the second shows you where everyone was after the events of Ultimates 1, and set up the new 'season'..

That's kind of what I was saying too, and why 48thrills' (I think?) comment initially spurred me to post in this thread.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Chris wrote:I know alot of people do. I feel like I'm reading the kiddy version of Spider-Man. Marvel Age or whatever it's called.

I don't like it at all.

When I flipped through it, I couldn't avoid giving Spidey a goofy "voice" in my head to go along with his appearance.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Chris wrote:I would've given some clarity to the state of the Ultimate universe.

You should have read Ultimatum! It was amazing! :P

Chris wrote:I know alot of people do. I feel like I'm reading the kiddy version of Spider-Man. Marvel Age or whatever it's called.

I don't like it at all.

Do you not feel that the book should have a youthful feel? It's meant to be for new readers after all.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

so Ultimate Comics Avengers #1
My review is in, will quote and link when live...

I have no idea how to score this one.

Story-wise this is almost non-existent, but it is pretty cool high adrenaline fun. Art-wise, Pacheco handles the action superbly, but there are some awkward poses here and there and Posner should not be coloring Pacheco, when you see Cap at the end, I laughed. He looked like he had been to a make up session with a four year old, not like he had been beaten and bruised.

Story 6
Art 6
Overall 6
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Do you not feel that the book should have a youthful feel? It's meant to be for new readers after all.

Err.. wait.. got mixed up about what we're talking about.

New readers doesn't necessarily have to mean crap art.

Bagley had a youthful feel without looking like it was drawn for 12 year olds. At the end of the day, yeah, art is subjective, but 95% of the people buying the book will be outside of that youthful demographic.

I just don't like the style - I dunno..
Last edited by Chris on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Chris wrote:I get that. That doesn't excuse mediocre writing, though.

The Ultimates 1 accomplished that and did a better job of it.

I was referring to Ultimate Spider-Man.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Punchy wrote:I was referring to Ultimate Spider-Man.

Yeah, I edited. Got mixed up.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Chris wrote:Err.. wait.. got mixed up about what we're talking about.

New readers doesn't necessarily have to mean crap art.

Bagley had a youthful feel without looking like it was drawn for 12 year olds. At the end of the day, yeah, art is subjective, but 95% of the people buying the book will be outside of that youthful demographic.

I just don't like the style - I dunno..

Hopefully the art will bring more young readers to the book?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Chris wrote:Yeah, I edited. Got mixed up.

Punchy is trying to trick you into going off-topic.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand