Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:12 pm

House of J wrote:Punchy is trying to trick you into going off-topic.

Shut it ebay boy!

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm sorry, but this review is bullshit, so it's not the best thing ever, and you give the story a 3/10? You say it's as good as all the other good team books, and it's only a 3/10? Does not compute. Most books are not awe-inspiring, to fault a book for not reinventing the wheel is a flawed expectation.

I think you are biased against Millar and also Marvel as a whole, you gave Doom Patrol a 4/10 for story! You gave Blackest Night a 9.5/10 for story! Was the gulf between that book and this so large?

Dude, none of the team books are great right now, with the exception of Dark Avengers... Doom Patrol had a bad story, but at least it had a story. There was nothing here, nothing man. No character development, no connection to past events... just Cap and Hawkeye being badasses and it was awesome, but there is no story at all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:Dude, none of the team books are great right now, with the exception of Dark Avengers... Doom Patrol had a bad story, but at least it had a story. There was nothing here, nothing man. No character development, no connection to past events... just Cap and Hawkeye being badasses and it was awesome, but there is no story at all.

There are plenty of good team-books, New Avengers, The Initiative, Thunderbolts, Secret Warriors, Agents Of Atlas, Uncanny X-men, Green Lantern Corps.

I doubt the story was a 3/10. And you shouldn't just judge a comic on what happens, you may as well just read the spoilers on wikipedia then, if the fight-scene was awesome... then the book is awesome too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:Dude, none of the team books are great right now, with the exception of Dark Avengers... Doom Patrol had a bad story, but at least it had a story. There was nothing here, nothing man. No character development, no connection to past events... just Cap and Hawkeye being badasses and it was awesome, but there is no story at all.

I was shocked when people started giving this book 9.5s and 10s. I would score almost any issue of Ultimates 1 or 2 at 7.5-10, there's no way this could get as high a score from me as that.

I'm a little relieved you and Chris read the same book I did.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Punchy wrote:There are plenty of good team-books, New Avengers, The Initiative, Thunderbolts, Secret Warriors, Agents Of Atlas, Uncanny X-men, Green Lantern Corps.

I doubt the story was a 3/10. And you shouldn't just judge a comic on what happens, you may as well just read the spoilers on wikipedia then, if the fight-scene was awesome... then the book is awesome too.

I think by "awesome" he meant "okay".

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Punchy wrote:I doubt the story was a 3/10.

In your opinion.

And you shouldn't just judge a comic on what happens, you may as well just read the spoilers on wikipedia then, if the fight-scene was awesome... then the book is awesome too.

This is the stupidest thing I've seen you post in at least the past two days. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Chris wrote:This is the stupidest thing I've seen you post in at least the past two days. :lol:

Why? There are plenty of comics which are nothing but fights, yet they are great, one of Fourthman's favourites, Planetary, #23 was pretty much just action, but it was amazing. Miracleman #15 was just an action scene. Or pretty much all shonen fight manga.

A comic is more than just plot, it is a synthesis of words and pictures, and a well-choreographed fight scene can be a thing of beauty. If you're only reading for the plot, then why bother with the comic, you can save money and keep up online.
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Old Man wrote:Another of those damned if ya do, damned if ya don't deals. Order 20, then eat 16 of them. Order 3, then have people bitch because it isn't available.

That's why I always tell my LCS if I am adding a title or wanting to try one issue of a new series.

that's not the deal at all, I could sell the damn things, Chew #3 was my location's third best seller last week. It is hanging with the big boys. Some times, the owner and I disagree on what to do with hot books.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Why? There are plenty of comics which are nothing but fights, yet they are great, one of Fourthman's favourites, Planetary, #23 was pretty much just action, but it was amazing. Miracleman #15 was just an action scene.

Why don't you just go ahead and post your review so we can spend the weekend savaging it?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:that's not the deal at all, I could sell the damn things, Chew #3 was my location's third best seller last week. It is hanging with the big boys. Some times, the owner and I disagree on what to do with hot books.

Should I go buy the #2s left over or something?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm

House of J wrote:Why don't you just go ahead and post your review so we can spend the weekend savaging it?

I haven't got my books yet, spent today moving furniture out of old people's homes.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Punchy wrote:I haven't got my books yet, spent today moving furniture out of old people's homes.

That's a very heartless form of thievery.

I hope the bobbies catch you.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

House of J wrote:That's a very heartless form of thievery.

My Grandad was changing homes! I wasn't nicking stuff.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:Why? There are plenty of comics which are nothing but fights, yet they are great, one of Fourthman's favourites, Planetary, #23 was pretty much just action, but it was amazing. Miracleman #15 was just an action scene. Or pretty much all shonen fight manga.

A comic is more than just plot, it is a synthesis of words and pictures, and a well-choreographed fight scene can be a thing of beauty. If you're only reading for the plot, then why bother with the comic, you can save money and keep up online.

The fact that you're comparing Cap and Hawkeye spending an entire issue fighting a bunch of retarded AIM lackeys to Planetary #23 or Miracleman #15 is enough to prove my point. :lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Chris wrote:The fact that you're comparing Cap and Hawkeye spending an entire issue fighting a bunch of retarded AIM lackeys to Planetary #23 or Miracleman #15 is enough to prove my point. :lol:

If I am to understand correctly, he hasn't even read the book!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand