Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Chris wrote:The fact that you're comparing Cap and Hawkeye spending an entire issue fighting a bunch of retarded AIM lackeys to Planetary #23 or Miracleman #15 is enough to prove my point. :lol:

Why? Planetary #23 was just an extended fight scene, and a flashback to boot, no plot progression there. Yet it was awesome.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Punchy wrote:My Grandad was changing homes! I wasn't nicking stuff.

Too late, I already called my friend, the Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Punchy wrote:The way they tried to give the UU greater relevance was by killing off a bunch of characters that are unkillable in the MU, but people hated that.

Unless they go mature readers, tits and blood all over, what else can they do to separate it from 616?

Didn't mean to imply that if the stories were well-written that that fact alone wouldn't count for anything. It's just that the Ultimate Universe originally had such a strong feeling and uniqueness about it and it seems to be gone. To me, the Ultimate universe at it's onset was close to the perfect post-9/11 comic universe. I know it's not fair to judge so quickly post-Ultimatum, however.

As for ideas I might have? I'd have to think about it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

House of J wrote:Too late, I already called my friend, the Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard.

Is that Muppet Babies?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Punchy wrote:There are plenty of good team-books, New Avengers, The Initiative, Thunderbolts, Secret Warriors, Agents Of Atlas, Uncanny X-men, Green Lantern Corps.

I doubt the story was a 3/10. And you shouldn't just judge a comic on what happens, you may as well just read the spoilers on wikipedia then, if the fight-scene was awesome... then the book is awesome too.

No, not all. The action in Transformers is awesome, but it is not an Awesome movie. G.I. Joe had a couple of awesome moments but was a terrible movie.

And as far as wikipedia... this issue could have been a wikipedia entry, it was that lacking in story and character development.

Now, after six issues this may be part of an awesome story, but it is not awesome on its own. It is cool and badass but as a comic, it is not awesome. It almost completely ignores the train wreck Loeb caused, which to be honest, is one of the main reasons I want to read this. I want to see what GREAT story was needed to have Loeb shit upon all Bendis and Millar had created. Sure UFF and UXM needed gutting, but that could have been done with out wrecking the two good books.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Is that Muppet Babies?

Yep. I couldn't find a better picture of your head of law enforcement.

The Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard appeared in a sequence in the Muppet Babies episode "The Muppet Broadcasting Company." While Baby Bunsen and Baby Beaker pretend to be Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, the pair stumble upon a figure who Sherlock Bunsen assumes to be a burglar. The "thief" is, instead, the high ranking police official, having already solved the crime. The outraged inspector, having been felled, tickled, and blown bubbles at, orders the nearest constables to arrest the pair. At this point, Bunsen sagaciously decides not to listen to the next episode of the old-time radio series.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Punchy wrote:Why? There are plenty of comics which are nothing but fights, yet they are great, one of Fourthman's favourites, Planetary, #23 was pretty much just action, but it was amazing. Miracleman #15 was just an action scene. Or pretty much all shonen fight manga.

A comic is more than just plot, it is a synthesis of words and pictures, and a well-choreographed fight scene can be a thing of beauty. If you're only reading for the plot, then why bother with the comic, you can save money and keep up online.

and both of them are part of larger more complex stories. This comic could be as well, but it isn't on its own. Planetary 23 is awesome because of the 22 issues that came before it. This book IGNORES the last 10 books that had a direct impact on it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm

House of J wrote:Should I go buy the #2s left over or something?

no, they sell at ten bucks a pop. I would have rather just sold them in store and be selling more of Chew now. It was an issue that didn't need you reading the first issue, unlike three which is performing really well even though it is entirely dependent on the previous issue.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:38 pm

thefourthman wrote:no, they sell at ten bucks a pop. I would have rather just sold them in store and be selling more of Chew now. It was an issue that didn't need you reading the first issue, unlike three which is performing really well even though it is entirely dependent on the previous issue.

Ah, sure, I see what you're saying. I must've missed the beginning of that conversation.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

House of J wrote:Ah, sure, I see what you're saying. I must've missed the beginning of that conversation.

no, that's the first time I came out and said it... but it was far enough removed to keep me out of trouble. :D

I don't like talking about that end of the business on line.

a. cause I don't agree with it

and

b. I got in serious trouble once, about the book on ebay you questioned.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, not all. The action in Transformers is awesome, but it is not an Awesome movie. G.I. Joe had a couple of awesome moments but was a terrible movie.

And as far as wikipedia... this issue could have been a wikipedia entry, it was that lacking in story and character development.

Now, after six issues this may be part of an awesome story, but it is not awesome on its own. It is cool and badass but as a comic, it is not awesome. It almost completely ignores the train wreck Loeb caused, which to be honest, is one of the main reasons I want to read this. I want to see what GREAT story was needed to have Loeb shit upon all Bendis and Millar had created. Sure UFF and UXM needed gutting, but that could have been done with out wrecking the two good books.

So you'd prefer what? A bunch of chatter about the events of Ultimatum? As someone who read Ultimatum, I'd prefer they move on.

And I can't believe you're really comparing this to Transformers 2.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Punchy wrote:So you'd prefer what? A bunch of chatter about the events of Ultimatum? As someone who read Ultimatum, I'd prefer they move on.

And I can't believe you're really comparing this to Transformers 2.

I haven't seen Transformers 2, I am comparing it to the first one.

No, I would like an acknowledgement of it. I love action and think it is cool - but this book should be telling me why that other book HAD to happen. It doesn't even really acknowledge that it did. New York didn't exactly look like it did last time we saw it, but the FF are not in the BAxter... so how much time has passed? How's the world coping, hell Ultimates 2 had moments like that. I want the balance of both. Action for action's sake is never gonna win me over.

As Chris, HOJ and I are saying, this could be part of a big awesome story. It is not a big awesome story on its own.

AND WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE DAMN THING YET.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm

talk about being biased. Punchy hasn't even read the book yet and is comparing it to Planetary and Miracle Man! :twisted:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:I haven't seen Transformers 2, I am comparing it to the first one.

No, I would like an acknowledgement of it. I love action and think it is cool - but this book should be telling me why that other book HAD to happen. It doesn't even really acknowledge that it did. New York didn't exactly look like it did last time we saw it, but the FF are not in the BAxter... so how much time has passed? How's the world coping, hell Ultimates 2 had moments like that. I want the balance of both. Action for action's sake is never gonna win me over.

As Chris, HOJ and I are saying, this could be part of a big awesome story. It is not a big awesome story on its own.

AND WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE DAMN THING YET.

Where the first 2 pages not acknowledgement enough? It was crap, now move on.

You're a glutton for continuity punishment.

And I don't know, but I just think you're criticisms, even in general are off, there's nothing wrong with a big fight-scene, in any book.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:no, that's the first time I came out and said it... but it was far enough removed to keep me out of trouble. :D

I don't like talking about that end of the business on line.

a. cause I don't agree with it

and

b. I got in serious trouble once, about the book on ebay you questioned.

I know the book you refer to, I just want to clarify I'm not the one who got you in trouble!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand