Advertisement

Review Group Week 184 - DAREDEVIL #500

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

amlah6 wrote:Fuck floppies, I wish they would just go away. :x

Says the guy who runs a weekly floppy review group!

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 am

Punchy wrote:Says the guy who runs a weekly floppy review group!

That's the main reason I want the format to die! :evil:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 am

amlah6 wrote:That's the main reason I want the format to die! :evil:

You love them really.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:40 am

Ultimates mustered a 7??? that thing was stinkier than the place I'm typing this message from....[spoiler]Punchy's moms vagina.[/spoiler]
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 am

amlah6 wrote:I have this coming in my BOC at the end of the month, I'll do my review then.

Me too. It's going to be a long wait. :smt022

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:00 pm

amlah6 wrote:Ooohhh, I'll finally get to read some of Hickman's Marvel work. This cover makes me wish Alan Davis was drawing it instead of Eaglesham though...

[center]Image
Fantastic Four #570
as selected by Daringd[/center]
WRITER: Jonathan Hickman
PENCILS: Dale Eaglesham

Brand new creative team - Brave new comics experience! Be there as Marvel's newest exciting creator, Jonathan Hickman, teams up with superstar artist, Dale Eaglesham, to give you the Fantastic Four experience you've been waiting for! It's adventure, it's family, it's tough questions in dark times...See what happens when Reed Richards tries to SOLVE EVERYTHING. Rated A …$2.99

Yes! 8)

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Shiro
Attorney at Law

Postby Shiro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:19 pm

I'm up for this. I used to love Daredevil. :D

I posted a review for the Ultimates book in the previous thread.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Ultimates mustered a 7??? that thing was stinkier than the place I'm typing this message from....[spoiler]Punchy's moms vagina.[/spoiler]

no way, i've been in here all day and i haven't seen you yet

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Chubbles wrote:no way, i've been in here all day and i haven't seen you yet

It's pretty big.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Daredevil #500

I am not, nor have I ever been a Daredevil fan. It's not that I have anything against the character, but I am not a Marvel guy and there is nothing that ever particularly drew me to the story of Matt Murdock.

That said, I really liked this issue. I do not really have a clue about what has been going on in Daredevil's life for the past year or so, but there was enough in the summary page and in the issue so that I had the gist of what was happening. The story was very well put together, and it establishes a very interesting new status quo for the Man Without Fear. The preview for the List and the Ann Nocenti story were good as well, and I enjoyed the reprint of the Frank Millar issue.

The issue was strong in terms of art as well. The art in the main story is gritty and dark, which befits both the character and the story being told. Interestingly, the preview art from the List was much brighter, in contrast to the situation that Matt finds himself in as this mini begins. The art from David Aja in the "3 Jacks" story harkens back to a more classic comic style, and it perfectly fits the story being told. The Millar reprint shows him when his art was less stylized, and at what was likely the height of his career as both an artist and writer. The pinups in the middle of the issue are all great, and I was particularly surprised by Brian Bendis' piece.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, even as a less than casual fan of the character. It was certainly better than some of the other "milestone" books that have come out lately (I'm looking at you Captain America #600!).

Story: 9
Art: 9
Overall: 9

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 pm

I did flip through this at my store though. The art looked nice

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Daredevil #500: Marvel $4.99
•Return of the Kind Conclusion: Brubaker/Various
In May of this year the season finale of House MD aired. You could feel something was going to change by the end of the episode. Indeed something did it was a major change. Issue 500 of DD from the opening pages has the same feel; you know something isn’t going to be the same. WOW! Is all I have to say I had planned to give Diggle only one issue but due to the mind blowing ending I plan to be on board for the entire run. Daredevil has never been taken in this direction and it excites me. Now the art side of things are just as good as the story. Lark/Gaudiano own here as does the Klaus Janson page. Which Janson is doing the art for the upcoming Daredevil: The End which looks great. I am blow away by how Brubaker ended this run, I actually feel it was a better ending than the ending Bendis had on his run. Can’t wait for more loved it.
9.7/10
•The List Preview: Diggle/Tan
Now I won’t give this a score, but I will talk about it. It shows me that Diggle might have a few tricks up his sleeve. Tan’s art actually looks good for once which is a great thing. Full issue hits store 9/9/09 check it out should be awesome.
•Jacks: Nocenti/Aja
Great art, anything Aja does is gold. The story is pretty good as well, it seems like something out of the 80’s which isn’t a bad thing. I enjoyed it for what it was. And again Aja=WIN!
8.5/10
•Pin Up gallery: Various
Bendis? I remembered reading that he was a artist and let me just say I really liked his pin-up. Was it the best? No. I personally wish Rafael Grampa’s Pin-up would have been a variant cover for this issue I would of dropped at least $30 on it.

Overall very solid issue great ending to the main arc, whole new direction for once.
9.1/10
Last edited by Daringd on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Just a heads up for all the review group people, most of my reviews from here on out will probably not be on time. On occasion, I might be able to. School is getting ready to start, so I will go to my LCS less frequently. Just a heads up so I don't get kicked out

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 pm

This is pretty big on my read list tomorrow. :-D

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 am

amlah6 wrote:You and SuperginraiX are the only members that were active week 1 and now.

Really? Just the two of us, huh? That's awesome and sad at the same time.

Me back in 2006 wrote:There should probably be a spoiler warning, so here it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a long time since I've read an issue of Daredevil, and as I recall it wasn't because I was hating the title, more because I was hating money... or my lack thereof. You gotta drop things sometimes, and DD just wasn't at the top of my list of reads.

So I was kind of excited to grab a new issue and get started againg "on the ground floor." I knew going in that this issue was going to start tying up loose ends from Bendis's run, so "ground floor" is apparently level 5 or six already. The plot was cool, but very depressing. Matt's in pretty deep and by the end of the issue, his one and only life-line is no longer able to help him. The art does a great job of conveying the hopelessness of Matt's situation and is clean enough that you understand what's going on from panel to panel. There was only one scene where the flow got me confused and I had to go back and reread it to understand, and that was when DD #2 was staking out Foggy.

My main gripes would be on introducing the characters. Sure, I know that's Ben Urich but he's only mentioned by first name throughout (which is realistic, but not informative). At least Ben's defined well enough through the art that if you know who he is, you'll recognize him. Hammerhead is a little bit trickier. He's got a high forehead, but to me looks more like Sinestro than Hammerhead. I wasn't certain that WAS Hammer head until a few pages later when Matt finally uses his name in "inner dialogue." Similarly, I FAIRLY CERTAIN that the agent depicted is Agent Gyrich because of the green sunglasses, but he's never mentioned by name and could well be a nameless face we'll never see again. Anywas, the entire issue is done in a "realistic" style which means that the people aren't going to shout out their full names and list their significance (which is good, 'cause THAT would be annoying :)), still, you'd think there'd be a good way to tag these guys so you'd know the particulars. For new readers, that's a lot to ask that they know all these people or at least have a basic understanding of who's who.

Anyway, that's a minor quibble. The issue was enough to interest me into buying the NEXT issue. I just hope that the secret identity plotline will END someday. If any hero needs a sectet identity, this very issue shows that it would be Matt (and Peter... at least Matt's a lawyer and can somewhat defend himself). I just hope that when all's said and done he doesn't have to masquerade as his twin brother ;).

7.5 out of 10

Wordy as usual. :D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand