Advertisement

Review Group Week 184 - DAREDEVIL #500

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Daredevil #500

Just finished this.

There really are no words to describe how awesome this was. Maybe one of the best DD issues in a looong time.

The Return of the King storyline capped what has become, surprisingly, one of the best runs on DD by a writer throughout the years. Brubaker now joins the Millers, Nocentis, and Bendises of the world. The run had it's snags here and there throughout, but this arc brought it all together, and #500 tied up all the loose ends that were left hanging.

Matt Murdock has lost everything. He's lost his job. He's lost his wife. He's lost his best friend. He's been manipulated into a corner, with no choice but to accept the Hand's offer to him. And thus, when Andy Diggle begins his run on the book, the status quo will be one of the most interesting in the character's history:

Daredevil leading The Hand, with Black Tarantula and White Tiger as moles within the organization watching his back. As a huge Daredevil fan, that just leaves me giddy with excitement!

Speaking of Diggle.. the preview of his run has me excited. From what little we saw, it was well-written, and the new status quo brings alot of interesting new directions to play with. My one gripe with The List preview was the art. I know Tan won't be on the book once Diggle starts his Daredevil-proper run, but Billy Tan should not be drawing Daredevil in anything.

The 3 Jacks story by Nocenti was great, moreso because of the art than the story. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but it kind of dragged. But the art was something else. I've been a David Aja fan for a long time, but that might be the best stuff I've ever seen from him. He was channeling some serious David Mazzucchelli here.

Overall.. the issue was well-worth my money.

Art: 8.5
Story: 9.5

Overall: 9/10

Advertisement

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Daredevil 500

I haven't read Daredevil since the Bendis run, which was most excellent. Actually thats not true, as I sit down to write this, I remember I did read Bru's first trade, Matt in prison and I thought that was pretty awesome too.

As for this, I thought it was pretty good. The status quo shakeup doesn't excite me that much. Don't get me wrong, it has huge potential, but for me personally, I don't have a nerd boner for it just yet. There was some nice fight scenes at the end and Wilson Fisk, I'm glad you're back and look forward to seeing on how you now plan to fuck with Matt now that he has some friends

Lark's art is solid. To me, he's Maleev-lite, and theres nothing wrong with that

I thought Nocenti's story was quite frankly, dull. Aja did draw the hell out of it though. Great stuff there.

I had never read the reprint before, so that was neat.

Story 7
Art 9

Overall: 8
Last edited by Kerny on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Also:

Ultimate Avengers

I liked this a lot. Yes it's cheap, fun action with little to no substance, but thats OK for me. I mean, Cap busting out a building with a motorcycle is just cool. I only wish Millar wouldn't have said who the Red Skull was in interviews, would have been a great reveal.

I thought Pacheo's art was great, but something seemed to be missing from it. Definetly preferred Hitch, so far, but it's only a issue in, so not really fair of a comparison

story 8
art 7

Overall I'd say 7.5
Last edited by Kerny on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Can you give an overall score Kerns?

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Punchy wrote:Can you give an overall score Kerns?

I edited them in

It doesn't have to be a combined average of the art and story score does it?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Kerny wrote:I edited them in

I think it does.. otherwise why have seperate scores for art and story, that are irrelevant to the total score?
Last edited by Chris on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Chris wrote:I think it does.. otherwise why have seperate scores for art and average, that are irrelevant to the total score?

A good point

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Kerny wrote:I edited them in

To be included in the in the group score, there does need to be an overall score. On reviews where it lists the story and art separate I automatically use an average if an overall score isn't specified.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Daredevil #500

I couldn't tell you the last time I read a Daredevil book. Probably back in the Karen Page days. It was great stuff, but I'm just not a Daredevil reader by nature. So what a wonderful surprise to find that I was totally swept away. I shouldn't be that surprised, I guess, Brubaker is one of the strongest writers to come along in the last ten years.

THe art, however, was not that impressive to me. Not the kind of style I enjoy, but it did fit the mood and tone of the story.

Sadly I'm unhappy about reading this. I think I've got a new series I'm buying. Thanks! :x ;-)

Story: 8
Art: 6
My Score: 7

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 pm

starlord wrote:Sadly I'm unhappy about reading this. I think I've got a new series I'm buying. Thanks! :x ;-)

:D

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm going Punchy here and no one can make me change my score of anything for my review this week. :-D Let's do this!

Daredevil #500

Writer: Ed Brubaker
Artist:

Some comic runs are hard to define, others are forgettable. When you attach Ed Brubaker to something, he lays out small little plotlines throughout his runs that add up by the very end. Daredevil #500 not only sets the bar high, it destroys it and makes Spiderman #600 wish it had a story this strong. It makes Ed's story in Cap #600 cry and certainly Jeph Loeb wishes he could have had this on Incredible Hulk's 600.

So what makes Daredevil so special? Ed managed to nail the tension, the drive and the very heart of what makes Matt Murdock a unique character in the marvel universe. From brilliantly adding master Izo throughout Matt's past to his final decision which really does change the status quo.

From Foggy, to Izo, to the Hand and the tarantula the whole cast really has moments to shine. Master Izo has become this enigma with only a few moments of his past revealed here which leaves you wanting to know more about the character. The Tarantula's reveal towards the middle of the story actual ends up being rather organic to the plot and over all my only real complaint is that Rand never shows up to play a part in all this madness.

The fight scenes are probably the highlights of the book for me. Whether it was the owl attempting to one up both murdock and the kingpin to lady bullseye being shown why matt is the better fighter it was all here.

This also was my favorite character progresson for Wilson Fisk as he lets things really consume him and truly drive him mad as it doesn't look like he'll be out of matt's life for some time to come.

The art is never distracting as if I'm not mistaken each artist has already had the pleasure of working with Ed on the book. Not to mention this has to be hands down my favorite pin up gallery I've ever seen in a comic book except for Quesada's pin up which I didn't really like all that much.

I have the pleasure of having the beautiful variant cover with Matt surrounded by a whole bunch of knocked out men with a sword in his hands, tinted red.

Oh and finally we'll talk about the back up story which is wrote by Ann Nocenti with beautiful David Aja artwork. I really enjoyed it as it was a charming after thought to another bullseye/daredevil fight where we get into matt's head by a very peculiar teenage girl who feels like layla millar a little to me.

Of course we also get a sneak peak into the list which shows us exactly why Norman has put matt on his list and it makes a lot of sense as we finally get Bullseye coming head to head with daredevil again after some time.

At the end of the day, this is the kind of anniversary issue that I love and really think should be the kind shown to other writers on how to do their anniversary's properly

Story: 10
art: 10
extras: 9.5(quesada knocked it down)

Over all: 9.5 a very, very well deserved 9.5 :-D

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Thor 600 was the best milestone/anniversy issue for me.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Kerny wrote:Thor 600 was the best milestone/anniversy issue for me.

About the same level for me. Though I believe that had more reprints which bothers me.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Daredevil #500
I am gonna be honest and say that I really did not want to pick this up and nearly didn't but I am glad I had. I dropped Daredevil right before the Lady Bullseye arc, I was getting tired of the whole lets drag Matt through the gutter thing. I was worried that I would be lost but thankfully Marvel rocks the recap page and where I wasn't caught up I was able to get the gist of. I forgot how much I liked the pencils of Michael Lark, he was so perfect for this book and the colors are great. I loved how this ended, you see it coming but don't believe it until it actually happens, I may have to pick up Diggle's run after reading this... Brubaker basically tossed him a softball because there is really no way Diggle could mess up what he is left with.
The List preview was okay, doubt I will pick it up.
The 3 Jacks story had an old school feel but the art by Aja is so full of win, I can't remember not loving anything I have ever seen by him.
I even enjoyed the 'Roulette' story by Miller, this was a 5 dollar book that fully delivered.

STORY - 9

ART - 10 (upgraded for Aja)

OVERALL - 9.5

Fantastic Four next week huh? Another book I have dropped recently, I am curious to see Hickmans take on the first family... I have loved Secret Warriors.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 pm

This book is getting some major love

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand