Advertisement

Review Group Week 184 - DAREDEVIL #500

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm

PDH wrote:Scary Movie has 'hilarious and outrageous' written on the packaging. Case closed.

:shock: :lol: He went there

Advertisement

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 40 posts

Postby PDH » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:You know what, how about a link to the creator saying its not a zombie flick? Dubious thematics aside (the dead rising could be about rage) and the very first Night of the Living Dead has elements of what happens when people aren't watching, they act like fast smart zombies... zombie conisuers (read purists) are the only people who quibble over this... and regardless of its actual zombieness it is partly responsible for the popularity of zombies currently.

At the very least it is like a first cousin....

“It’s not a zombie movie, everyone. It’s not a zombie movie…They’re infected. They’re not zombies.”

http://www.zombiereportingcenter.com/20 ... nny-boyle/

I'm very grateful for what it did for the Zombie genre and I'm sure Romero's films were influences but so were a lot other things. The opening is straight out of Day of the Triffids, as mentioned. It also owes a huge debt (as does Romero) to I Am Legend, which called its monsters 'vampires,' IIRC.

Characters in Night of the Living Dead blamed the Zombie outbreak on Space Rays! They also called them 'ghouls.' The point was that no-one really knew what was happening but all dead people, regardless of how they died, were getting back up again. If you got shot, you came back as a Zombie, if you had a heart attack you came back as a Zombie. As long as you're brain was intact, you became one of 'those things outside.' You didn't need to be bitten. It's an important point that people often forget because a lot of other Zombie films use a virus as the explanation. I think that distracts a bit from the themes, though.

But it's not a big deal or anything. Like I say, I'm a big fan of 28 Days Later.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:12 pm

What the hell happened to this thread?

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Chris wrote:What the hell happened to this thread?

zombies or gtfo.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm not a big fan of these big oversized anniversary issues. Most of the time the reprints in the back are useless and any new content tends to be throwaway. Just give me the main story, it's why I'm buying the book in the first place. That being said, with one glaring exception, Daredevil #500 is a perfect anniversary comic.

The Return of the King Conclusion

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! For reals, that's where he's ending it? I want so badly for this to keep going, but without Brubaker and Lark I have absolutely no faith that the next creative team can follow up on it adequately. Brubaker has taken everything he's been building over the course of his run and put forth this perfect explosion of epic. Before I was sad that Brubaker was leaving, now I'm downright pissed.

As far as I'm concerned Michael Lark, Stefano Gaudiano and Matt Hollingsworth can do absolutely no wrong. Whatever they end up doing after Daredevil, I hope they end up doing it together.

Story: 10
Art: 10

Dark Reign: The List - Daredevil Preview

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! For reals, this is what's following up Brubaker's run? So flat, so boring, so not the level of quality that the Marvel Knights series has been known for over the past 10 years. Thank the gods Billy Tan won't be the regular artist, he's goddamn awful.

Story: 4
Art: 1

3 Jacks

Ann Nocenti was the writer on Daredevil when I first started reading Daredevil. I can't say that I ever read it monthly, but I did pick it up whenever one of JRjr's covers caught my eye and from what I remember I always enjoyed them. Same with this, nice character piece and a perfect vehicle for...

David Aja's art. Wow! He just keeps getting better and better. Aja's art makes this comic worth the extra $2.

Story: 8

Pinup Gallery

:drool:

Romita, Darrow, Mack, Zircher... all brilliant, but you know Rafael Grampa's piece is my favorite.

Art: 9.5

Daredevil #191

While I consider myself a Frank Miller fan, I have to admit that I've never gotten around to reading his Daredevil work. Clearly I need to rectify this asap. This was fantastic.

Story: 9

Cover Gallery

Goofy as they may be, I love these. It's always cool to see the progression of covers over the years and to pick out the covers of all the issues I've read. I just wish the images were a bit bigger.

Art: 8

Overall - 9.9

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 pm

7.5. Would've helped if I had the issues before this sucker. Plus, the bonus content didn't do much for me. Nice art, though.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand