Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, I covered both of those topics back on the Marvel boards. A man with a 24" cock doesn't matter a damn if he'd rather doodle on his walls in his secret room. Plus, clear evidence of steroid abuse in this issue, who wants the limpest, most-elastic wang in the universe?

But Ben is a good choice.

Johnny? What's wrong with you?! Maybe alternate Pirate Johnny...

Dude, Reed can be whatever shape he wants to be, he doesn't have to do steroids, he just has to want to look buff.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:23 pm

thefourthman wrote:Dude, Reed can be whatever shape he wants to be, he doesn't have to do steroids, he just has to want to look buff.

But all the alternate Reeds, except Fat Reed and maybe Vern Troyer-Reed are also buff and clearly many if not most of them have no stretching ability. Secret Bridge Steroid Club, IMO.

Also Johnny.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:23 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's why I do it.

or that too.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 pm

House of J wrote:But all the alternate Reeds, except Fat Reed and maybe Vern Troyer-Reed are also buff and clearly many if not most of them have no stretching ability. Secret Bridge Steroid Club, IMO.

Also Johnny.

Johnny would be buff, he is a vain mofo...

I don't spend that much time analyzing the artistic choices of how fucking Reed Richards is drawn... I also stopped caring about DR FF at issue 3, so I had no problems with this book. However it will probably get a 6 or a 7 from me, which is real low for Hickman...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm

thefourthman wrote:Johnny would be buff, he is a vain mofo...

I don't spend that much time analyzing the artistic choices of how fucking Reed Richards is drawn... I also stopped caring about DR FF at issue 3, so I had no problems with this book. However it will probably get a 6 or a 7 from me, which is real low for Hickman...

Well, it's hard not to when there are nearly 30 of him in this issue. You know I'm just kidding, but the only real issue I have with it is he simply doesn't look as pliable as drawn by Eaglesham here. I just don't get elastic from Reed's panels in this issue, and it's only in part because he's so thick.

The person most-underused in DR:FF and this issue is Sue--who is relegated to "doing everything [she] can to hold things together" on page 5 by putting a bubble around herself. Not very imaginative.

Yeah, I am somewhat intrigued to see where this is going, but have yet to be impressed by Hickman's superhero work--not that I didn't enjoy this book. But it has some flaws and weak plot points, like the Wizard's logical error.

As to Johnny Storm, he's kind of all over The Thing in this issue.

I haven't decided on a score.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, I am somewhat intrigued to see where this is going, but have yet to be impressed by Hickman's superhero work--

Not even Red Mass For Mars? :P ...

I do like Secret Warriors, I should catch up on that one...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:46 pm

thefourthman wrote:Not even Red Mass For Mars? :P ...

I do like Secret Warriors, I should catch up on that one...

Yeah, I bet you knew what I meant, though. I do like Red Mass for Mars, but I might like Irredeemable better, or at least appreciate it's on-timeliness.

I haven't read SW, though, I know everyone says how great it is. I just don't give a crap about those characters and hated SI so much. I'll pick up a trade someday.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm not seeing either, I saw Radiohead last year and they haven't got anything new really, and Faith No More are rubbish!

You're mental.

Angel Dust and The Real Thing are two of the best albums in the history of the universe.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I really liked this issue. Hickman's got a really good grip on the kids and I really like his take on Reed. The Council idea is a little like the Kang one but that doesn't make it any less awesome.

A lot of people are harping on Eaglesham about Reed and Johnny's bulkiness but that doesn't really bother me. I've read enough superhero comics to know artists exaggerate sometimes. I was a little thrown by Ben's speech pattern. I think Hickman needs to work on that to make Ben sound a little more normal and a little less Jimmy Durante(which granted his speech pattern is based on but he's progressed since the 60's).

All in all an excellent start to what I hope is a great run.

Forgot my score. 8.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, I bet you knew what I meant, though. I do like Red Mass for Mars, but I might like Irredeemable better, or at least appreciate it's on-timeliness.

hence the :P ... I hear you on the timeliness, you missed my is marvel being more strict thread while you were off beating it in the woods.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Chris wrote:You're mental.

Angel Dust and The Real Thing are two of the best albums in the history of the universe.

Are you battling Punchy on the Astral Plane while his corporeal form attends a Wiggles concert or something?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Yeah, I really liked this issue. I really like the art, I like a buff Reed. He seems more superheroish that way. I loved the whole 101 thing and really look forward to where the end of the issue is going to take us. However, this felt lite for a Hickman book, even a Marvel Hickman book...
The flashback sequence by Eaglesham was the bees knees...
Story 5
Art 8
Overall 6.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:hence the :P ... I hear you on the timeliness, you missed my is marvel being more strict thread while you were off beating it in the woods.

Speaking of writers who take too long to finish, is it wrong I so enjoy the lousy reviews JMS' new books are getting? Ha ha ha, hackity hack hack.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 pm

House of J wrote:Are you battling Punchy on the Astral Plane while his corporeal form attends a Wiggles concert or something?

exactly... evidently Punchy is at Leeds, he spent all that money to see the Wiggles and the teletubbies. Oh, and to wear his new SAilor Moon outfit.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm

House of J wrote:Speaking of writers who take too long to finish, is it wrong I so enjoy the lousy reviews JMS' new books are getting? Ha ha ha, hackity hack hack.

dude, I refuse to read them. I am not reading another book by JMS until I can finish reading the Twelve.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand