Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Fantastic Four 570

I've always loved the FF, they were one of my first books and they've always had a special place in my heart even when I'm not reading or enjoying them. Reed Richards was always one of my favorite characters, but I hated his actions in and after Civil War and could no longer stand by the character's actions as written. I see Hickman beginning Reed's path to redemption in FF:DR and this issue, and similar to Fraction's redemption of Tony Stark, Reed is probably going to eat some humble-pie before all is said and done too. It's hard not to see some possible foreshadowing of that in his Idea 101 and acceptance of his Ultimate Importance, or so it seems.

I already discussed FF:DR in this thread a bit--the recap paragraphs are so much better than reading 1-5, trust me. But the Franklin plot point left dangling at the end is pretty bizarre, especially when he is saying "Pow! Take that bad guys!" you think Reed might remember Franklin's action in FF:DR #5. But it's all no more odd than Norman's actions in the mini, I guess.

That makes me worried about the characterization and motivations of Hickman's FF--but in 570, things seem a little better written. My main complaint is the beginning with The Wizard and the unimaginative ways the Four's powers are used in this issue.

The whole "switch opponents" thing is so stale--and far beneath The Wizard who would've learned that lesson back in Stan and Jack's day. And please--Sue can do SO much more than put a force bubble around herself, few robots stand a chance.

The scene with Ben 'n' Johnny is ok, I hope they take a lot of condoms with them. I hate Nu Earth, and am sorry it is going to be used here.

The Reeds is an interesting idea, though, much more than Pirate Johnny and Cowgirl Sue from the mini. In fact, Pirate Reed and Cowboy Reed are nowhere to be found.

The Infinity Glove(s) is like the ultimate Monkey's Paw, and here we see there is one for your left hand and two for your right, so you know that's bad news for somebody.

The art is pretty good, but needs to be more dynamic when powers are used.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:18 pm

thefourthman wrote:dude, I refuse to read them. I am not reading another book by JMS until I can finish reading the Twelve.

I can't support that book anymore.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:55 pm

:cry: I wish someone were still around to talk about the FF.

Welp, although Starr has this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I guess I pick this for next week:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Because Jeff Lemire is Canadian and I need some good karma with them this week.

Also, he won the Xeric Award in 2005 and I think that award is tops.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm

House of J wrote::cry: I wish someone were still around to talk about the FF.

Not a big fan of the buff Reed in the previews, but I'm keeping an open mind about it. I might read the issue here in a bit.

If Sue were to step out on Reed with someone other than Namor (which she's obviously done already), she should do it with Pym. It would fuck with Reed's head the most, IMO.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 pm

amlah6 wrote:Not a big fan of the buff Reed in the previews, but I'm keeping an open mind about it. I might read the issue here in a bit.

If Sue were to step out on Reed with someone other than Namor (which she's obviously done already), she should do it with Pym. It would fuck with Reed's head the most, IMO.

That would be great, actually. I like Pym more than Reed these days.

The buff Reed is very Tom Strongish, Reed's been buff before just maybe not this much. But if Reed and Johnny are so pumped up, shouldn't Sue have some massive muscles too, or at least Madonna-arms?

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 pm

House of J wrote:I guess I pick this for next week:

Awesome. Love those $1 Vertigo books.

[center]Image
Sweet Tooth #1
as selected by House of J[/center]
Story and Art by Jeff Lemire

From out of the deep woods and the mind of acclaimed indie cartoonist Jeff Lemire (THE NOBODY, The Essex County Trilogy) comes a new Vertigo monthly ongoing series like no other! After being raised in total isolation, Gus – a boy born with deer-like antlers – is left to survive in an American landscape devastated a decade earlier by an inexplicable pandemic. Even more remarkable is that Gus is part of a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid children who have emerged in its wake, all apparently immune to the infection.

Enter Jepperd, a violent, hulking drifter who soon takes in Gus and promises to lead him to "The Preserve," a fabled safe-haven for hybrid children. Along the way they'll have to contend with science militias, deadly scavengers, rival bounty hunters, and hybrid worshipping cultists as they fight to make it to safety and solve the mysteries of this deadly new frontier.

This bizarre and haunting new series is boldly written and illustrated by Eisner-nominated creator Jeff Lemire and elegantly colored by fellow Eisner nominee Jose Villarubia. A little boy with antlers, a big man with guns, a world without hope – SWEET TOOTH #1 ships in September for only $1.00!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:13 pm

I may pick up The Nobody. For a second, I thought the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol was back it looks so much like Rebis.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am

Good to see you back HoJ.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:34 am

MrBlack wrote:Good to see you back HoJ.

Thanks MrBlack! Did I see that you might've sent a PM last week in the DD thread? For some reason it may not have reached me if you did, I finished sorting all the email last night.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm

now processing 25 of 200 items!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:now processing 25 of 200 items!

I am merely trying to process lunch.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:19 pm

House of J wrote:I am merely trying to process lunch.

I am somewhere in the 400s now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am somewhere in the 400s now.

Shouldn't take you too long. Just be glad you don't have to go through them one at a time like some people used to.

I am just getting the hang of that application, myself.

Speaking of changes, are there lots of changes at the OH too? Some little things seem different.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:30 pm

House of J wrote:Shouldn't take you too long. Just be glad you don't have to go through them one at a time like some people used to.

I am just getting the hang of that application, myself.

Speaking of changes, are there lots of changes at the OH too? Some little things seem different.

Jude is always tweaking.

I have made no head way, the second batch sent me through a sub route and then the boss called about something he wanted changed, I kind of bit his head off, cause this is tedious enough without other stupid shit going on.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 pm

$1 is cool with me.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand