Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 am

This Hickman FF doesn't seem to be generating much buzz anywhere. Most reviews I've read pretty much run along the same lines as ours. It hasn't made my run of FF:DR worth selling, either. I am sorely tempted to pick up some Secret Warriors to see if that book really IS great or if people's expectations have been set lower by all the Bendis these days.

Also, one thing I forgot to include in my review--the page where Reed "ploops" over to the Wizard's HQ and discovers his clones, saying "What have you done?" and tells him he needs to stop this.

Another character flaw in Richards seems to be that he thinks it's ok for HIM to clone Thor, thereby killing an old friend, and escape any culpability whatsoever, but he believes other scientists should be bound by a code of ethics he himself doesn't adhere to.

Add that to the fact that he is hiding his actions and their ramifications from Sue, after everything that transpired during CW--and is in fact lying to her, no matter how he might rationalize it (I took it apart them put it back together somewhere else).

(Cue D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Wanda Jackson)

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,hx_WKxqQF2o][/youtube][/spoiler]

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 85 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:38 am

Fantastic Four didn't create much buzz with Millar Hitch either.... IT's the frikkin FF. Half the deal is going to be if it continues to be decent and even then, if it treads water, people will bore with it quickly. FF has never really been a buzz book since the days of Jack and Stan. I mean even Ultimate which saw the first appearance of the Marvel Zombies was unable to ever create any buzz. It's just kind of a dud of a concept at this point. Until it can have the kind of run like Superman is having under Johns/Robinson (which you will note still flies under the radar, but is loved by those that are reading it, for the most part), it will wallow in mediocrity.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 85 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:39 am

Oh and Hickman's indie work, brilliant. His Marvel work, even Secret Warriors, merely qualifies as above average (except for DR:FF which is shit)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 am

thefourthman wrote:Oh and Hickman's indie work, brilliant. His Marvel work, even Secret Warriors, merely qualifies as above average (except for DR:FF which is shit)

Speaking of the shit, if the 30 or so Reeds patrol multiversity against Galactus incursions, wouldn't they have intervened in the Marquis of Death attack on 616 and countless other alternate realities where the Marquis brutally tortured and killed Fantastic Fours?

(Of course, I think they're clones.)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:22 am

thefourthman wrote:Fantastic Four didn't create much buzz with Millar Hitch either.... IT's the frikkin FF. Half the deal is going to be if it continues to be decent and even then, if it treads water, people will bore with it quickly. FF has never really been a buzz book since the days of Jack and Stan. I mean even Ultimate which saw the first appearance of the Marvel Zombies was unable to ever create any buzz. It's just kind of a dud of a concept at this point. Until it can have the kind of run like Superman is having under Johns/Robinson (which you will note still flies under the radar, but is loved by those that are reading it, for the most part), it will wallow in mediocrity.

A lot of people seem to think the FF isn't relevant or interesting any more, I just don't buy it. As far as wallowing in mediocrity goes, that's where I see the X-books and Spidey books these days. Who would've thought Cap would have shot to the top the way it did with Brubaker? FF just needs the right writer who's willing to stick around long enough to get noticed. Maybe Hickman? We'll see.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 pm

I don't think my review will come before Wed. :?

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:14 pm

House of J wrote:A lot of people seem to think the FF isn't relevant or interesting any more, I just don't buy it. As far as wallowing in mediocrity goes, that's where I see the X-books and Spidey books these days. Who would've thought Cap would have shot to the top the way it did with Brubaker? FF just needs the right writer who's willing to stick around long enough to get noticed. Maybe Hickman? We'll see.

I think they need to be separated from Earth and the 616 and moved into the cosmic Universe, something to shake up the book. Bru brought Bucky back and then killed Steve, shook things up you know? This first issue just seems like more of the same to me... iono :smt102

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:28 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I think they need to be separated from Earth and the 616 and moved into the cosmic Universe, something to shake up the book. Bru brought Bucky back and then killed Steve, shook things up you know? This first issue just seems like more of the same to me... iono :smt102

It'd be cool to see them leave Earth for a change and not just go to Nu Earth!

What is the status of the Negative Zone prison, anyway? Reed has dropped a lot of balls lately (whereas Franklin's balls will never drop).

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:50 pm

House of J wrote:
What is the status of the Negative Zone prison, anyway? Reed has dropped a lot of balls lately (whereas Franklin's balls will never drop).

So true... I still ask, why does he get the free pass and Stark is the Marvel whipping boy... you figure Thor would have words with Reed too?
I will say that Franklin and Valeria were maybe the most interesting characters in this ish... and I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:18 pm

House of J wrote:This Hickman FF doesn't seem to be generating much buzz anywhere. Most reviews I've read pretty much run along the same lines as ours. It hasn't made my run of FF:DR worth selling, either. I am sorely tempted to pick up some Secret Warriors to see if that book really IS great or if people's expectations have been set lower by all the Bendis these days.

Also, one thing I forgot to include in my review--the page where Reed "ploops" over to the Wizard's HQ and discovers his clones, saying "What have you done?" and tells him he needs to stop this.

Another character flaw in Richards seems to be that he thinks it's ok for HIM to clone Thor, thereby killing an old friend, and escape any culpability whatsoever, but he believes other scientists should be bound by a code of ethics he himself doesn't adhere to.

Add that to the fact that he is hiding his actions and their ramifications from Sue, after everything that transpired during CW--and is in fact lying to her, no matter how he might rationalize it (I took it apart them put it back together somewhere else).

(Cue D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Wanda Jackson)

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,hx_WKxqQF2o][/youtube][/spoiler]

You should check out Secret Warriors it is REALLY REALLY good. I wish I had picked issue 7 for the review group this week. I don't think you would be disappointed by it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Daringd wrote:You should check out Secret Warriors it is REALLY REALLY good. I wish I had picked issue 7 for the review group this week. I don't think you would be disappointed by it.

I would go buy the first trade, if there is one, but I just found a copy of the most awesome movie ever today:

[spoiler]Image

It is based on a lesser-known Moorcock character Jerry Cornelius and stars the greats John Finch, Patrick Magee, and Sterling Hayden among others. Features a moog soundtrack by early innovators Beaver & Krause, and was directed by Robert Fuest of Abominable Dr. Phibes fame.[/spoiler]

A few other great movies too, including a '70s Mustang Ranch documentary that helped legalize slatternly behavior but only in some areas.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Fantastic Four #570

This is one of longest running series I've ever read, having started collecting it while still in high school. There's been a lot of ups (John Byrne) and downs (Mark Millar); so my initial reaction to Hickman taking the reigns was guarded.

Having read the first issue of this I'm not really that impressed, nor am I that dissapointed, either. The story is meh at its best, and the some of the art is impressive; however, buff Reed is just not right. Hickman handled the Wizard very well and made him creepier than I can remember him ever being - nice one! The idea of Reed fixing the whole world is rather old, though.

Perhaps I'm finally at a place in my life where I just don't care anymore what happens to the First Family of Superheroes. Or perhaps there are no more really interesting stories to tell about the Fantastic Four.

Either way, I've come to a serious cross-roads with this book. If Hickman (who I usually enjoy) can't even rise above the dreck that Millar just left, perhaps it wasn't Millar after all. Maybe it's just time to say goodbye to a book that really has nothing more to offer.

Story: 4
Art: 5
My Score: 4.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Wow I disagree with almost all of you. But then again I thought Millar's run was paint by numbers boringness and believe I predicted every single plot twist from the start. From my column which should be up some point this week:

Fantastic Four #570 which starts the new creative teams run. Jonathan Hickman continues to build off what he started in his dark reign mini which I'd highly recommend. Reed Richards stops one of his long term nemesis as Johnny give Ben a cool vacation present which we'll see in a future issue. Oh and the last page? 3 infinity gauntlets held by 3 very different reed richards.
Usually I'd complain about someone using stuff from a miniseries but Hickman manages to bring readers in easily and nail the 6 characters voices right off the bat. Dales artwork here is beautiful and probably the best I've ever viewed from him. Loved his stuff on JSA but here he seems to have gone crazy with ideas. It's going to be fun to see where this run heads next.

Verdict: definitely a buy and finally feels like marvel's first family is back on track.

I guess my grade is an 8.5

I just think it was above average, not amazing but really, really good.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:12 pm

House of J wrote:It'd be cool to see them leave Earth for a change and not just go to Nu Earth!

The prison was taken over by Blastarr in GOTG.

I liked this issue as it looks like it's going to answer one of the final questions of the Illuminati, what happened to the Infinity Gauntlet.

Hab

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:48 pm

habitual wrote:The prison was taken over by Blastarr in GOTG.

I liked this issue as it looks like it's going to answer one of the final questions of the Illuminati, what happened to the Infinity Gauntlet.

Hab

So Reed doesn't even bother to check in on the Negative Zone?

:smt011

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand