Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 pm

I love making you edit the article to include my review. I'll have it done this afternoon(az time)
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Just read this, and really liked it, I thought it was full of interesting ideas, and was one of the best takes on Reed Richards I've seen, may have been better than this week's Secret Warriors.

Review tonight or tomorrow morning.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 pm

amlah6 wrote:For really reals, that's your favorite? :?

I hated that logo, to me it was way after it's time and belonged back in the 90's.

My favorite is the classic, but I like the 70's logo that inspired the current and the Millar/Hitch as well.

Yes, but it may be because I really enjoyed the story at that point and really hate the original logo. I may also love the nineties. :oops: :P

I was actually hoping the Millar/Hitch logo would last longer. I like the look. Ah well.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Punchy wrote:Just read this, and really liked it, I thought it was full of interesting ideas, and was one of the best takes on Reed Richards I've seen, may have been better than this week's Secret Warriors.

Review tonight or tomorrow morning.

You have to have some of the worse taste in comics. I have no issues in the muscular reed. Personally I think it's a good thing to finally have him look like he could be capable of kicking some ass instead of letting other people do it for him while he twist around them rubbing his genitals all over there bodies. The art on this issue was pretty good but the story is stagnant as best. For a jump on issue it doesn't do that at all. It doesn't introduce the reader to anyone except a world full of reeds who you know are just going to turn out to be bad guys and reed and the boys and Sue who seemed completely useless this issue are going to have to help him out of this bucket of syrup. This issue had moments and I will say it had three great moments.

1.Reed and Sue in embrace.
2.Franklin asking about them helping the boy.
3. Idea 101.

but that's it. The bridge is a pretty stupid concept and I can't say this was a great first issue to a run of anything. Mark Waid did such great things and I see them all just disappearing.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 pm

In all likelihood, I will not be getting any of my comics until next week, so I probably won't have a review this week. Just wanted to give amlah6 a heads up.

Postby ****** » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 pm

MrBlack wrote:In all likelihood, I will not be getting any of my comics until next week, so I probably won't have a review this week. Just wanted to give amlah6 a heads up.

Thank you, sir.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Fantastic Four Review

I've never had fantastic four be a part of my pull list so I came into this hoping Hickman could push through my disliking of the F4. So far so good I think. Hickman is one of my favorite writers out there. Transhuman, Pax Romana and Nightly News are all brilliant. Hickman is an excellent storyteller. He ties so many grand schemes and elaborate plots together so fantastically that I have no doubt he's gonna do something awesome here as well. This was a solid set up issue where he allows Eaglesham to flex some of his artistic muscle a bit. I very much enjoyed that spread with all the alternate Reed's. I still don't care much for the F4 but I believe 100% in Hickman so count me in for this.

Story 7
Art 7
Overall 7

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:38 pm

geez, once again I feel guilty for not liking it as much as others. :(

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 am

starlord wrote:geez, once again I feel guilty for not liking it as much as others. :(

but you disliked as much as I did and that's what counts.

- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:14 am

OK, now where has the 4thman been?

Writing for the man?

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am

House of J wrote:OK, now where has the 4thman been?

Writing for the man?

Teaching Sunday School for nazi youth is time consuming I would imagine.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:23 am

amlah6 wrote:Teaching Sunday School for nazi youth is time consuming I would imagine.

Psh. Well, yeah, if you insist on private one-on-one sessions in the Rectory.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am

Fantastic Four #570 - 'Solve Everything Part One' - Hickman, Eaglesham and Mounts

Story - For a very simple concept, the Fantastic Four has been difficult for many writers to get right, nobody has really struck the right tone since Stan and Jack. People may suggest John Byrne or Waid and Wieringo, but they still don't come that close. Millar and Hitch had promise early on, but by the end of their run, things had petered out. So now it's the turn of Jonathan Hickman to take the reins of Marvel's first family, and for my money, he does a pretty great job.

This is not Hickman's first go around at the FF, he previously wrote the team's Dark Reign mini-series, which recieved mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed, it was full of great ideas, funny alternate worlds, and some great Norman Osborn moments. Hickman picks up from that series here, as Reed Richards decided to use his 'Bridge Machine' in an attempt to 'solve everything'. That's a big statement, it may be a bit nebulous, but it's a catchy hook for a storyline, it's very Reed, and an inventive writer can do a lot with such an idea, and I think Hickman is the man for the job.

Make no mistake, this opening issue is the Reed Richards show all the way, the rest of the family barely get a look in. But I don't really have a problem with this, Reed has often been short-changed by many writers, and ever since Civil War many fans have hated him with a ferocity close to Tony Stark levels, Hickman began to rehablitate him in DR:FF and he continues here. The issue opens a flashback to Reed's childhood, where he is afraid to leap off a ledge, but his father gives him some sage advice. It's a scene which explains much of Reed's motivation, why he does what he does in general, and also why he does what he does in this issue.

In the present day we see the FF facing one of their old foes, The (Wingless) Wizard, in a scene that is genuinely creepy, the clones' blank faces, and then the poor cloned child, it was a dark touch, but it worked. I also liked how Hickman played up the parallels between Reed and the Wizard, they are both brilliant minds, and both have a desire to change the World, but go about it a different way. Hickman even compares their parenting techniques, the Wizard is disappointed in his 'children', whereas Reed is kind and tells them stories. Hickman set up some interesting threads with Franklin in Dark Reign, but they aren't picked up here as of yet, but I anticipate some interesting stuff with him and the Wizard's son.

Reed's secret Laboratory is one of the coolest scenes I've read in the FF for a while, the scribbles all over the wall, the 'deep in thought' personal touch, it's exactly what a brilliant, distracted mind like Reed would have, that scene is a sense of normalcy, before things get truly weird, and they do get weird, like... Grant Morrison weird. Reed turns on his machine, and is greeted by... himself. Well, not himself, but alternate reality versions. There follows a lot of fun pseudo-scientific words, which even Mister Fantastic doesn't get, but essentially, he's joining The Legion Of Super-Reeds, and it's awesome. It's a kooky idea, and it can go a lot places, Hickman has shown he's got a willingness to do crazy stuff, and an idea like this is much more akin to a DC idea than a Marvel one, especially these days, but the FF should always be going to new places, and this is just that. And that last page, with the Infinitey Gauntlet Reeds... he's even picking up on threads from the Illuminati. Hickman is bringing the FF forwards again, but also tying up some loose ends, and it's a lot of fun.

But there are still some problems, as I said, this is Reed all the way, Sue does pretty much nothing. Johnny and Ben get a bit of set-up for a holiday to Nu-Earth, which should be fun, it's good to see some of Millar's plot threads being picked up, but the balance of the FF is integral to the book's health, and Hickman needs to be able to focus on all the team members equally. Hopefully in future issues he will do, Millar tried to have each of his 4 story arcs focus (sort of) on a different team member, maybe Hickman will try something like that.

But overall, this is a strong first outing for Hickman with the FF, each team member is written well, especially man of the issue Reed Richards, there are some great new ideas floated, and I really got a kick out of the Legion of Super-Reeds. From his Indie work, we know Hickman is a writer with a lot to say and a lot of ideas, I hope things get even crazier from here on out. He's not just doing Galactus and Doom again, this is a personal story in many ways... but a cosmic one at the same time.

Art - Dale Eaglesham was one of the best artists at DC while he was there, which was why it was such a shame he was wasted on Johns' increasingly dull JSA. Now he's at Marvel, I can see his art on a good book!

Much has been written about how Reed is looking too muscular, but I don't particularly have a problem with it. He's a superhero, he fights people all the time. Before it got retconned, he was a WW2 veteran, if you go back and look at Kirby's work, he's pretty tough. To me, it makes Reed seem like Doc Savage or something, a kick-ass science explorer. I also like his stubble, for a man that's driven by work, it makes sense.

The other characters look good too, I like how lumpy Ben is, and Johnny's face is hilarious on many occasions. Eaglesham has a knack for great expressions. I was particularly chilled by the face of the Wizard's child clone, that blank, painful stare, great stuff.

And you can tell he had a lot of fun with the Legion of Super-Reeds, some funny alternates there.

Best Line - 'But to say that you're not even willing to try... that's unacceptable Reed' That pretty much sumes up the ethos of Mister Fantastic.

7/10 A strong opening issue, perhaps too much focus on one character, but the way Reed is written is very strong. There are some mad ideas in here, and some loose ends too. Plus, creepy villain. What more do you want in the FF?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:30 am

House of J wrote:OK, now where has the 4thman been?

Writing for the man?

Working, the boss keeps sending shit over even though there is nowhere to put anything in this fucking store and I have asked him repeatedly to slow it down. I haven't done anything but relist on Ebay for two weeks cause I am constantly shipping and the boss man's new stupid policies mean only me and one other guy are getting any work done in the store and he is too fucking stupid to put more than one person on at a time to get anything done. Stupid fucking prick.

That and my cold from the other week never really went away and took a turn for the worse this weekend. I am about a week behind on BF stuff now and Jude wanted me to write something up on Disney (which I don't think I will be able to do in a timely fashion)

so, in conclusion life sucks and I haven't been on the internet as much. Although I was involved in the Disney thread on the asylum for a few hours on monday.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand