Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:33 am

thefourthman wrote:Working, the boss keeps sending shit over even though there is nowhere to put anything in this fucking store and I have asked him repeatedly to slow it down. I haven't done anything but relist on Ebay for two weeks cause I am constantly shipping and the boss man's new stupid policies mean only me and one other guy are getting any work done in the store and he is too fucking stupid to put more than one person on at a time to get anything done. Stupid fucking prick.

That and my cold from the other week never really went away and took a turn for the worse this weekend. I am about a week behind on BF stuff now and Jude wanted me to write something up on Disney (which I don't think I will be able to do in a timely fashion)

so, in conclusion life sucks and I haven't been on the internet as much. Although I was involved in the Disney thread on the asylum for a few hours on monday.

Sounds like a typical boss. Bummer.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 am

Punchy wrote: What more do you want in the FF?

I want something different.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:04 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I want something different.

This was different.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 am

Punchy wrote:This was different.

Nahhh... it was a different take on the same thing but not different. I want something totally breaking walls... obligatory Ben and Johnny buddy stuff... check. Obligatory Sue telling read don't work too hard moment... check. Obligatory Reed needs to be in the lab all night moment... check. It s like there is a Marvel script that Hickman is following for this, I know you have to keep the same characterization but I guess I just wanna see something that knocks me on my ass crazy shit not a different take on the same thing.
...or maybe I just don't like the FF? iono :smt102

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 am

48THRiLLS wrote:Nahhh... it was a different take on the same thing but not different. I want something totally breaking walls... obligatory Ben and Johnny buddy stuff... check. Obligatory Sue telling read don't work too hard moment... check. Obligatory Reed needs to be in the lab all night moment... check. It s like there is a Marvel script that Hickman is following for this, I know you have to keep the same characterization but I guess I just wanna see something that knocks me on my ass crazy shit not a different take on the same thing.
...or maybe I just don't like the FF? iono :smt102

The characters were the same, but the situations were new.

Like the Legion Of Super-Reeds, that was new.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am

Punchy wrote:The characters were the same, but the situations were new.

Like the Legion Of Super-Reeds, that was new.

Really? Cuz Crisis on Infinite Earths is like 20+ years old.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Really? Cuz Crisis on Infinite Earths is like 20+ years old.

New for the FF.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 pm

I haven't gotten this yet, so I can't review it yet.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:28 pm

It was pretty safe, that's for sure, and unimaginative in the powers-usage dept except the little bit with Torch's "heat vision".

I just read the new Irredeemable--Mark Waid is knocking it out of the park--and there is an idea in it that is sort of illustrative of what I want from Hickman:

[spoiler]There is a virus, an ultrasonic lifeform that spreads quickly using its victims screams as means of transmission.[/spoiler]

It's a brilliant idea I'd not have thought of myself. That's what I want from Hickman on the FF and didn't get in his Dark Reign or #570.

Also, no more worn and weary ideas like the "hey! let's switch opponents!" against the Wizard. Having that bit of stupidity as an opener (after Dark Reign) sure didn't put me in the mood to enjoy the rest of the issue.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:18 pm

House of J wrote:It was pretty safe, that's for sure, and unimaginative in the powers-usage dept except the little bit with Torch's "heat vision".

I just read the new Irredeemable--Mark Waid is knocking it out of the park--and there is an idea in it that is sort of illustrative of what I want from Hickman:

[spoiler]There is a virus, an ultrasonic lifeform that spreads quickly using its victims screams as means of transmission.[/spoiler]

It's a brilliant idea I'd not have thought of myself. That's what I want from Hickman on the FF and didn't get in his Dark Reign or #570.

Also, no more worn and weary ideas like the "hey! let's switch opponents!" against the Wizard. Having that bit of stupidity as an opener (after Dark Reign) sure didn't put me in the mood to enjoy the rest of the issue.

I liked that bit, so often big picture thinkers can miss the little details, it was funny.

And I forgot to mention Johnny's heat-vision in my review and I was going to, that was a great touch.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Punchy wrote:I liked that bit, so often big picture thinkers can miss the little details, it was funny.

I'm pretty sure it's been used in the FF before. As well as elsewhere, of course. It would mean The Wizard was not only high when he thought of it, but that he'd never seen the Richards family fight before. I am assuming his son will have a more nuanced plan, but The Wizard's was the worst "genius" level threat ever, giant robots with giant achilles heels.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 pm

House of J wrote:I'm pretty sure it's been used in the FF before. As well as elsewhere, of course. It would mean The Wizard was not only high when he thought of it, but that he'd never seen the Richards family fight before. I am assuming his son will have a more nuanced plan, but The Wizard's was the worst "genius" level threat ever, giant robots with giant achilles heels.

Well, he's crazy isn't he?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, he's crazy isn't he?

Reed Richards? I think so.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:36 pm

House of J wrote:Reed Richards? I think so.

Wizard.

Reed is ace. But I do think some of the Legion of Super-Reeds are a bit on the evil side.

We have to bear in mind that this is only his first issue, he's setting stuff up, that crazy idea (and that was a fucked up scene) in Irredeemable didn't come until #6.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Punchy wrote:Wizard.

Reed is ace. But I do think some of the Legion of Super-Reeds are a bit on the evil side.

We have to bear in mind that this is only his first issue, he's setting stuff up, that crazy idea (and that was a fucked up scene) in Irredeemable didn't come until #6.

Yep, I've tried to stress that too as a mitigating factor earlier in the thread, but one could argue that it is in fact his 6th issue. And that a setup issue doesn't excuse lazy setup like The Wizard's plan, or unimaginative characterization/actions like Sue's.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand