Advertisement

Review Group Week 186 - SWEET TOOTH #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 am

House of J wrote:That sounds good, if I see cheapos or the first trade later.

I've been avoiding spoilers.

Anyone read Air? I had a strong negative reaction to #1.

Air is like Young Liars, it keeps switching everything up on you. Speaking of Young liars, I'll be back later...

Advertisement

Fintan
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Fintan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 am

I won't be able to participate this week. Won't be able to get to the store due to school.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am

They were pushing this title pretty hard at the Vertigo panel at SDCC so I feel obligated to get it... have been getting more and more Vertigo titles lately but I think I need to do an inventory on my pull list, it is getting out of control, what used to average 20 bucks a week has now become 30 and up... I just cannot afford that, so I fear of liking this.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 pm

$1.00=Win

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Picked this up on my lunch hour. Hopefully I get a chance to read it tonight.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Good news, someone else snagged this at BF, meaning I can review here! Yay!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Did I mention I saw a BF review on the back of I think Hush vol. 1? That's obviously extremely old news, but i was shocked to see it

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Did I mention I saw a BF review on the back of I think Hush vol. 1? That's obviously extremely old news, but i was shocked to see it

Yeah, but did you notice it was attached to the back with scotch tape? The Fourthman travels around doing that wherever he goes.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Argh! Stupid Peter & Max preview!! I thought I had a half a dozen pages to go and then WHAM! The end, here's some Fables bullshit I don't intend to read.

So...I wonder how things will go this week.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Sweet Tooth #1
The title of this book is dumb... I probably would not have picked this up if I didn't know the gist of the story and the fact that it was a buck. Aside from the name this was fantastic, it was a number one so there was some set-up but there is no time wasted getting started. You get a great feel for the character, definitely over protected and a little on the not bright side but so very likable. After a heartbreaking part with the death of his father this thing starts to take off then BLAM-O! 'to be continued'. To be continued indeed... I am there, this was great.
The art side of things was average but quite fitting for the story being told, nothing that made me poop myself but it wasn't bad enough to turn me off either.

STORY - 9.5

ART - 7

OVERALL - 8.9

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:20 pm

The sparseness of the art, the isolation, along with the inbred hunters, captured the feel of Nebraska perfectly, I thought.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:
The title of this book is dumb... I probably would not have picked this up if I didn't know the gist of the story and the fact that it was a buck.

I didn't like the sound of the title at first either--the small editorial box by Lemire actually tells more about the characters and world than this first issue--but his comments about the title are confusing at this point whether it means more or not.

I think it's great Vertigo is giving us such a great deal on 1st issues of new books, and really appreciate that DC hasn't upped all of their prices yet. (Are most non-#1 issues of Vertigo titles $2.99 or $3.99 these days?)

This book had a sort of old-school Vertigo feel.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:56 pm

House of J wrote:The sparseness of the art, the isolation, along with the inbred hunters, captured the feel of Nebraska perfectly, I thought.

The art fit the book fine but if this was a super hero book or something with a bit more action my art score would have been lower.

House of J wrote:I think it's great Vertigo is giving us such a great deal on 1st issues of new books, and really appreciate that DC hasn't upped all of their prices yet. (Are most non-#1 issues of Vertigo titles $2.99 or $3.99 these days?)

If the second issue is as good as this was that will be 2 Vertigo books I will have added to my pull list that started at a dollar... maybe if Marvel offered the 1st issues of fringe books like Captain Britain, Agents of Atlas, Exiles, Irredeemable Ant-Man they would get a bigger audience and a chance to last.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:The art fit the book fine but if this was a super hero book or something with a bit more action my art score would have been lower.

I totally agree, and actually my overall score will end up pretty close to yours, I think.

I'll definitely read along for a few issues and see where this goes.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Sweet Tooth #1

Saying I loved this book almost as much as the unwritten would be truth. I was intrigued by the project in the solicits 3 months back and then got to listen to the word balloon interview. Jeff Lemire is a very, very talented man.

The art style fits the over all tone of the book very well though i'm certain it will take some readers some time to get used to it. Our lead character is surprisingly innocent in the world he lives in and we get very minor hints as to the backstory of the actual world.

What I find the most interesting is just how well Jeff managed to pack in the tension till the very end which I remember seeing in a preview somewhere but it still hits pretty hard.

at the end of the day it's a great addition to the vertigo line and I cannot wait to see where the story goes.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand