Advertisement

Review Group Week 185 - FANTASTIC FOUR #570

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:50 pm

House of J wrote:Yep, I've tried to stress that too as a mitigating factor earlier in the thread, but one could argue that it is in fact his 6th issue. And that a setup issue doesn't excuse lazy setup like The Wizard's plan, or unimaginative characterization/actions like Sue's.

Maybe, but I imagine a lot of people didn't get Dark Reign.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Punchy wrote:Maybe, but I imagine a lot of people didn't get Dark Reign.

They could smell it on the racks.

Interest in it has picked up slightly, but a full run can still be bought pretty cheaply. Even if people largely ignored it, Hickman is continuing it here. Otherwise, why would the first issue have a recap paragraph?

The real question is, why wasn't the whole Norman subplot dropped and the whole miniseries abbreviated into maybe the first issue of his regular FF run? What was the point there? I am guessing it was a half-assed idea to reintegrate the FF into the "current" Marvel universe and try to generate interest by flagging it with "Dark Reign"--and also, for a graphic designer like Hickman, one of the worst designs for the modern comic rack I've ever seen in my life. It was like saying, "Please don't buy this. Don't even notice it there on the racks."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

House of J wrote:They could smell it on the racks.

Interest in it has picked up slightly, but a full run can still be bought pretty cheaply. Even if people largely ignored it, Hickman is continuing it here. Otherwise, why would the first issue have a recap paragraph?

The real question is, why wasn't the whole Norman subplot dropped and the whole miniseries abbreviated into maybe the first issue of his regular FF run? What was the point there? I am guessing it was a half-assed idea to reintegrate the FF into the "current" Marvel universe and try to generate interest by flagging it with "Dark Reign"--and also, for a graphic designer like Hickman, one of the worst designs for the modern comic rack I've ever seen in my life. It was like saying, "Please don't buy this. Don't even notice it there on the racks."

I assume it was because they wanted the FF to address Dark Reign, but not interrupt Millar and Hitch's run.

Also, Hickman had nothing to do with the logo of that mini, it was the same logo that the regular FF book had had for the last year.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Punchy wrote:I assume it was because they wanted the FF to address Dark Reign, but not interrupt Millar and Hitch's run.

Also, Hickman had nothing to do with the logo of that mini, it was the same logo that the regular FF book had had for the last year.

Not the logo itself, which I liked, but the placement, size, and sometimes color. To be fair, I dunno who "designed" the cover layouts. They sucked, though.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm

Oh yeah, they didn't address Dark Reign in any meaningful way--or even any way that made sense at all--in that mini.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 pm

House of J wrote:Oh yeah, they didn't address Dark Reign in any meaningful way--or even any way that made sense at all--in that mini.

Norman was there! And he was hilarious.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Punchy wrote:Norman was there! And he was hilarious.

Did one of my competitors hire you to keep me from getting any work done?

Sigh. Norman was there. And it was boring and pointless until the final issue where it was bafflingly stupid. If he had been having a Green Goblin moment when he suddenly (and pointlessly) pulled a handgun and tried to shoot Reed in the head, at least it would have been fun. But it came from nowhere, and none of the battle-trained Four reacted--but Franklin shot him with a non-firing toy weapon, which was neither explored in the mini (another sign that #570 is in fact issue 6 for Hickman, not to mention the preview pages in FF:DR 5), but it wasn't even taken seriously by his parents, as the FF just wander away from Norman in issue 5.

I mean, Norman was there to what--look at their papers!? Check their license!? No offense, but worst "tie-in" ever.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

House of J wrote:Did one of my competitors hire you to keep me from getting any work done?

Sigh. Norman was there. And it was boring and pointless until the final issue where it was bafflingly stupid. If he had been having a Green Goblin moment when he suddenly (and pointlessly) pulled a handgun and tried to shoot Reed in the head, at least it would have been fun. But it came from nowhere, and none of the battle-trained Four reacted--but Franklin shot him with a non-firing toy weapon, which was neither explored in the mini (another sign that #570 is in fact issue 6 for Hickman, not to mention the preview pages in FF:DR 5), but it wasn't even taken seriously by his parents, as the FF just wander away from Norman in issue 5.

I mean, Norman was there to what--look at their papers!? Check their license!? No offense, but worst "tie-in" ever.

Chicken Little again.

I thought it was funny.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Punchy wrote:Chicken Little again.

I thought it was funny.

That doesn't even make sense. I can accept that you thought it was funny, you like Spongebob, but that mini was just crap. Most reviews I read also felt it was pointless, but they probably feel the same way about Spongebob too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm

House of J wrote:That doesn't even make sense. I can accept that you thought it was funny, you like Spongebob, but that mini was just crap. Most reviews I read also felt it was pointless, but they probably feel the same way about Spongebob too.

Come on, Franklin dressing up as Spider-Man and taunting Norman is genius. Some of the alternate FFs were hilarious too.

And Spongebob is awesome.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I humbly rest my case.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:32 pm

House of J wrote:Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I humbly rest my case.

I bet most people on here like Spongebob.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:33 pm

I just read this so review time!

Fantastic Four #570

I enjoyed this issue for the most part. The story certainly was interesting, but I didn't like how the focus was all on Reed. I mean I understand why, I just didn't like it too much. It's more like the Fantastic One. I do want to see how this whole thing pans out, so I'll be getting future issues. The Bridge, at first, sounded stupid to me, but it's a decent idea. I'd like to see how this turns out, what with all the Reeds and stuff. I don't read any FF, so I thought the Room of 100 ideas or whatever was cool too.

As for that art, the beginning with Reed and I guess his dad was really stellar. From there is was mostly meh. I like Eaglesham's stuff, but it was just ok. I do see the whole bulky Reed thing. It did look like he was on steroids. The other characters were ok, but it wasn't so terrible that I thought the entire issue was bad. Overall, just ok.

I'll be staying on a little longer on this title

Story- 8
Art- 7.5
Overall- 7.75

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Heh, the Fantastic One.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Solid stuff. Nothing exciting, but enjoyable work. The art was tight.

(Lazy review, no?)

7.8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand