Advertisement

Review Group Week 186 - SWEET TOOTH #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:42 am

starlord wrote:Old Man is many things, but cheap is not one of them my friend. He's particular. :D

He seems like a bit of a scrooge to me.

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 am

McKegan wrote:But since it isn't in my BOC, I'm going with Dark Reign: The List, Avengers.

That Condi book could have been fun. :x

[center]Image
Dark Reign: The List - Avengers
as selected by McKegan[/center]
WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
PENCILS: Marko Djurdjevic

In this first in a series of spectacular one-shots, the finest writers working at Marvel are teamed up with the most sensational artists to unveil the darkest chapters in the Dark Reign! Norman Osborn, fresh from the shocking finale of Utopia, sets his sights on the rest of the Marvel Universe. He sits down and makes a list. A list of things that are wrong with the world. Things that he needs to take care of. And the list includes almost every major player in the Marvel Universe. These specials are exciting game changers for all of Marvel Comics and represent the finest talents. This first chapter has a startling confrontation between members of the New Avengers and Dark Avengers. Clint Barton fans... you are not going to want to miss this one! Plus, a preview of the upcoming Dark Reign: The List titles! One-Shot/Rated T …$3.99

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

amlah6 wrote:That Condi book could have been fun. :x

[center]Image
Dark Reign: The List - Avengers
as selected by McKegan[/center]
WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
PENCILS: Marko Djurdjevic

In this first in a series of spectacular one-shots, the finest writers working at Marvel are teamed up with the most sensational artists to unveil the darkest chapters in the Dark Reign! Norman Osborn, fresh from the shocking finale of Utopia, sets his sights on the rest of the Marvel Universe. He sits down and makes a list. A list of things that are wrong with the world. Things that he needs to take care of. And the list includes almost every major player in the Marvel Universe. These specials are exciting game changers for all of Marvel Comics and represent the finest talents. This first chapter has a startling confrontation between members of the New Avengers and Dark Avengers. Clint Barton fans... you are not going to want to miss this one! Plus, a preview of the upcoming Dark Reign: The List titles! One-Shot/Rated T …$3.99

i don't think fun is the word you are looking for ;-)

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:51 am

doombug wrote:i don't think fun is the word you are looking for ;-)

it would have made great beat off material.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

Punchy wrote:You're too cheap to pay a dollar?

That's me.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

Punchy wrote:He seems like a bit of a scrooge to me.

That's me.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm

I hope this List stuff is good. Although, I haven't bought Sweet Tooth yet, I plan on it

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I hope this List stuff is good.

I was hoping someone could just read it to me over the phone, so I could phone in a review.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Punchy wrote:He seems like a bit of a scrooge to me.

nah. well... maybe Scrooge McDuck. :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:45 am

Sweet Tooth #1

If it wasn't for the members of both The Outhouse and the great group of people that I hang out with at my LCS (including the wonderful and puny...errr... funny) Old Man, I might never have discovered Vertigo. For that I thank you all.

The last new Vertigo book I read, I believe, was The Vinyl Underground, which I ended up enjoying until its cancellation, so I was totally jazzed on reading this. I mean it's Vertigo! They hit more than they miss for me. Are you sensing a but coming up? Okay, here it is...

But I've never had a Vertigo book that I sat down with no opinion at all. Unfortunately, that's how I felt with Sweet Tooth. There wasn't much that piqued my curiosity here, and I really didn't care for the artwork at all.

I just had the feeling that the author was working a bit too hard to make it weird and different. Did he succeed for me? Not really. Boy with antlers, meh, I've seen hornier young men in my youth than him. End of the world cataclysm that has changed what is normal in society... been there, read that before.

Honestly, I can't say I didn't like it. I just can't say I did like it, either. It just seemed to be there... like a table lamp. It did what it was supposed to do, but it didn't shed new light on anything either.

Story: 6
Art: 5
My Score: 5.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:00 pm

I liked this a lot, It's a little light on content compared to the previous Vertigo $1 debut issue we read, but what we do get is certainly intriguing. The lead character of Gus has a strong voice, and there are just enough hints and nods to make the past of this world gripping, could this be the new Y?

Review tomorrow.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Since I managed to get my books this week, I'll try to review tomorrow. I thought it was pretty good, and I'm interested, though the art really didn't do much for me

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:34 pm

liked this so much I grabbed the nobody today. Half way done and It's awesome.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm

This isn't going to be a review for Sweet tooth so much as it is going to be me licking Jeff Lemire 's ball sack. My only problem with this issue is how fast a read it was. The issue is stark when it comes to dialogue and even in some cases action but I think this is all by design. The issue is supposed to be bleak it's supposed to be isolated, if this is what it was supposed to feel like it then it succeeded immensely. The art was perfect for the book and I loved the story. I loved the story so much that when I hit atomic comics buy 2 get 1 free sale I grabbed the nobody and I just finished it. The Nobody is a great book as well and when I put my november order later today the essex county trade will be in it. I'm hooked Lemire after two stories. The unfortunate thing will be buying this in Trade so ashley will read it(she likes trades). Great issue with a lot of promise.

- Les Paul

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Old Man wrote:Okay, you forced me to do this.

I respond to myself to note that I added a short bit to my review. (It's on page 3, at the bottom of the review. Spoiler warning still applies.)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand