Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:18 am

Kerny wrote:Hey that sounds cool

Thats my pick then!

Gin makes a man mean!

I love Evan Dorkin, great pick.

[center]Image
Beasts of Burden #1
as selected by Kerny[/center]
Writer: Evan Dorkin
Artist: Jill Thompson

When supernatural occurrences sweep the community of Burden Hill, it's up to a heroic gang of cats and dogs to keep residents safe from harm.

A bizarre disturbance leads these four-legged neighbors on a wild-goose chase into the depths of the nearby forest, where loyalties are tested and lives come to an abrupt end.

Award-winning comics creators Evan Dorkin (Milk & Cheese) and Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother) first introduced these heroic characters in the anthologies The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, Witchcraft, the Dead, and Monsters, for which they won coveted Eisner Awards for Best Short Story and Best Painter.

Adventure, mystery, horror and humor thrive on every page of Beasts of Burden -- a comic-book series that will capture readers' hearts and haunt their dreams.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:20 am

King Impulse wrote:I'm going to the comic shop for the first time in a good few weeks today, so hopefully I'm back in the game as of today.

Promises, promises...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:22 am

I've only ever read Evan Dorkin's Bill and Ted comics (that was him right?) so this will be interesting.

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:35 am

Punchy wrote:I've only ever read Evan Dorkin's Bill and Ted comics (that was him right?) so this will be interesting.

You'd like Milk and Cheese, see them here beating up furries which is pretty much exactly the same as cosplayers...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:38 am

amlah6 wrote:You'd like Milk and Cheese, see them here beating up furries which is pretty much exactly the same as cosplayers...

Hahahahaha, that's great.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:49 am

Old Man wrote:Hey, start a new thread, woodya? This ain't a review. :evil:

I did bastard...
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 am

Dark Reign: The List: Avengers

I've been enjoying Dark Reign, a lot actually. I'm also a fan of Bendis. New Avengers however, have been off and on, and I jump on and off with certain arcs

This honestly felt like it should have been a NA issue. Clint is pissed and takes matters into his own hands. What follows is Clint taking down the whole Dark Avengers. (Really?) I did like the nod towards Clint and Karla's past. Clint goes and greets Osborn and delivers the final blow.......only for Osborn to have shields and Ares popping out to bitch slap Clint. I could see hardcore old school Hawkeye fans taking issue with Clint's actions here, but I don't really mind

All the Bendis-isms, good and bad, are present here, but overall I'd say I like those more than I hate them. Still the story never does anything impressive.

The art is great Some of the faces are weird, but eh, much better than whats been on the regular book (with the exception of Immonnen). Plus I heard he drew it in 9 days, which is impressive

Story 5
Art 8

Overall 6.5

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:42 am

thefourthman wrote:I did bastard...

Hey, that ain't nice. In an alternate reality, my parents were married before I was born.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

Old Man wrote:Hey, that ain't nice. In an alternate reality, my parents were married before I was born.

yeah well this ain't Marvel so deal with it...
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't know if I'm going to be able to go to my LCS for this week. Definitely next week though. We'll see

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:07 pm

amlah6 wrote:You'd like Milk and Cheese, see them here beating up furries which is pretty much exactly the same as cosplayers...

See, I had Punchy as secretary of the London branch of the Eltingville Club. Here, the one and only episode is youtubed:

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,Lyus5kz8wB0][/youtube][/spoiler]

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Cartoon Network really sucks for not producing shows like that, Korgoth of Barbaria, or Amazing Screw-On Head. They are all top-notch:

[spoiler][youtube=425,344,ym_y0Mugvsw][/youtube][/spoiler]
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Kerny wrote:
This honestly felt like it should have been a NA issue.

I felt like it was the same issue of NA we've been reading for 4 months
why did we need to have the whole "heroes shouldn't argument" agian?

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 69 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Can someone tell me why Bullseye will heal after getting shot? I thought all he had was a strong skeleton? Nothing to do with healing.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Frag It wrote:Can someone tell me why Bullseye will heal after getting shot? I thought all he had was a strong skeleton? Nothing to do with healing.

didn't he get somesorta healing deal in thunderbolts ?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand