Advertisement

Review Group Week 188 - BEASTS OF BURDEN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Punchy wrote:To continue my Nostradamus winning streak, I predict there will be less than 10 reviews this week, but all will be very positive.

Well, Nostradamus didn't get much of anything right either, BUT:

The Oracle at Delphi was found to have sat upon a huge pocket of methane gas.
Punchy is a giant fart.

:? Coincidence?

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I haven't read this yet but but after flipping through the pages it will probably get a 10 from me on the strength of it having a doberman in it.

The art and depiction of the dogs is top notch.

I like the husky dog who is apparently part werewolf. That is pretty fucking cool.

I wish there were a Sheltie, though.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:14 pm

That was the weirdest thing I have ever read.
Review coming after I read it again... wow.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:34 pm

So...lot's of posters at this site in general seem AWOL lately.

I'm starting to think it needs a recruitment drive.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Beasts of Burden #1

This was really... different. I hadn't even heard of these canines until now. The story was just strange; wasn't expecting a giant frog at all. Loved the fact that the cat saved the day, though. I really did enjoy this a lot. The art was well done, nothing that jumped out at me, though.

Though seeing an empty coller makes me sad. This is one that I probably would pick up in trade. I like dogs, I like cats. I don't like frogs. I like this book. I also like hotdogs but that really has nothing to do with this very lame review. I have discovered that it's harder for me to say nice things when I like something than if I don't.

Nice pick. Thanks for giving me a goo read.

Story: 8
Art: 8
My Score: 8

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 pm

House of J wrote:So...lot's of posters at this site in general seem AWOL lately.

I'm starting to think it needs a recruitment drive.

We may need to contact the authorities to check on fourthman. I find his lack of online presence disturbing.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:12 am

How extensive was the previous story involving these animals? It seems like there is quite a bit of backstory I am not privy to. It didn't help that they didn't name many of the characters; one of them wasn't named in the book until after he died.

The story was good, but reading it, I understood what picking up a random issue of the X-Men must feel like to the average person.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:12 am

Managed to get a copy of this, and read it on the train. Really liked it, the art was beautiful, and the story defies any 'cute animal' expectations.

You can read the earlier stories on Dark Horse's website apparently.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 pm

amlah6 wrote:We may need to contact the authorities to check on fourthman. I find his lack of online presence disturbing.

Me too :( . And I have eBay problems!

It bothered me when he said his lymph glands were periodically swelling as well.

We should check UC's site to see if he is just going exclusive or something.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm

MrBlack wrote:How extensive was the previous story involving these animals? It seems like there is quite a bit of backstory I am not privy to. It didn't help that they didn't name many of the characters; one of them wasn't named in the book until after he died.

The story was good, but reading it, I understood what picking up a random issue of the X-Men must feel like to the average person.

I was just glad none of them were named Norman.

I thought he did a fairly good job of introducing the backstory and characters here and there without a ton of heavy-handed exposition or name captions. It wasn't nearly as confusing as trying to figure out which mouse is which in the Mice Templar V2 (if you didn't read the first volume).

beioski
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby beioski » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:07 pm

here are the earlier stories

http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/eComi ... m=0&page=1

they don't seem to add much to the lore

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Damnit Newman, you are going to make me log into my email, and that is something I hate very much to do :x .

Email sent. But what if...Just. What. If? The fourthman is too busy with his new Meetup Group to talk to us :x :

http://www.meetup.com/UltimateComics/members/10040269/

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:27 pm

ha!
I wish!
I am okay, just extremely busy. Funny what two weeks of sickness did to me. If all goes to plan, which nearly nothing has recently, I will be posting my Sweet Tooth review this evening.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:29 pm

misac wrote:
first introduced these heroic characters in the anthologies The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, Witchcraft, the Dead, and Monsters,

Has this been collected?

I noticed this book to late to preorder so I'll be looking for the trade.

They were hard cover graphic novel collections. A collection would be a massive undertaking. I might have a few roaming around somewhere...
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand