Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:40 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I think my review is a cliff notes version of yours... I am still dumbfounded by the Bendis hate, I think if you have been reading and enjoying Dark Reign you would probably like this and it seems most of the bad scores were from people who have not been reading DR or dislike Bendis.

To be clear about this (for the last time in this thread), I don't hate Bendis, just his writing.

And if I were the type of person who loved Bendis and had been following his Avengers stuff and Dark Reign, I, too, would have probably liked this comic more than I did. But it still isn't a very good comic book.

And perhaps, as a final note, I should say that I absolutely loved the first several issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, even going so far as to go to my LCS and tell them it was the best Spider-Man story being told at the time, and maybe even the best in years.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 pm

"Bendis hate" is just one of those things I ignore like traffic signals, or when a woman says "make sure you use a condom!" I followed all of his Avengers books until after SI. SI made me question if I was getting my money's worth, or if I was just paying too much to see the same thing over and over--as it has been described, the spinning of wheels. It's true that the price increase made me more likely to give Slott's Avengers a try post-invasion. The Dark Reign over-all storyline hasn't drawn me back--it's sufficient to read an occasional book like this or just spoilers to get an idea of where things are at. Some chapters, like FF:DR were just stupid and made Norman seem like an idiot. If, as Punchy says, this is the beginning of a buildup to something interesting or fun to read I'll be happy to buy some comics. Basically, I don't imagine that will happen until Steve returns & Tony gets his brain back. When all is said and done you still have the problems left over from the Civil War and registration in general, and I hope there will be a resolution of some sort in the future.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Punchy wrote:I didn't see any rehashing, this was an escalation.

Actually, you could probably match it up panel for panel with the Dark Reign issue of Amazing Spider-Man we reviewed. It's virtually the same comic.

:waits for Punchy's head to explode:

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Old Man wrote:I've never read a Deadpool comic.

I envy you. That's the one thing about my life I wish I could change. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:I envy you. That's the one thing about my life I wish I could change. :(

Deadpool is the one from the '90s with the new series everyone thinks is great, right?

He has a fucked up face, right and a power set I've never figured out beyond shooting and healing? Why were so many characters introduced in the '90s with guns as their primary offensive attack?

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Old Man wrote:And perhaps, as a final note, I should say that I absolutely loved the first several issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, even going so far as to go to my LCS and tell them it was the best Spider-Man story being told at the time, and maybe even the best in years.

It's pretty good, but it's not as good as some of the standout arcs in Amazing since One More Day...

Slott/McNiven
Slott/Martin
Slott/JRjr
Waid/Martin

All awesome. All the best Spidey has been since the Ben Reilly relaunch books.

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 pm

House of J wrote:Deadpool is the one from the '90s with the new series everyone thinks is great, right?

I think there are two ongoings and a mini and he's also joining the X-Men or something. Bendis will have him in New Avengers before the movie comes out I'm sure.

House of J wrote:He has a fucked up face, right and a power set I've never figured out beyond shooting and healing? Why were so many characters introduced in the '90s with guns as their primary offensive attack?

Rob Liefeld.
Last edited by ****** on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's pretty good, but it's not as good as some of the standout arcs in Amazing since One More Day...

Slott/McNiven
Slott/Martin
Slott/JRjr
Waid/Martin

All awesome. All the best Spidey has been since the Ben Reilly relaunch books.

Kelly/Bachalo > all of these.

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Kerny wrote:Kelly/Bachalo > all of these.

Which one was that?

The first McKone arc with the Back to the Future guy was pretty great too.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 pm

amlah6 wrote:Which one was that?

The first McKone arc with the Back to the Future guy was pretty great too.

Hammerhead revamp, right after NWTD

I hate......HATE Bob Gale's work on ASM. All of it

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Kerny wrote:Hammerhead revamp, right after NWTD

I liked his more recent arc with the merry-go-round of artists more.

Kerny wrote:I hate......HATE Bob Gale's work on ASM. All of it

Everything else he did I agree was really terrible, but I thought that arc was unexpectedly fun and some of the best work of McKone's career.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 am

amlah6 wrote:Actually, you could probably match it up panel for panel with the Dark Reign issue of Amazing Spider-Man we reviewed. It's virtually the same comic.

:waits for Punchy's head to explode:

It was a similar premise, yes, but I thought what the issue meant was different, Spider-Man isn't a main book in Dark Reign, so we knew that what happened wasn't going to have a big impact on the larger story, this will. Plus, Spider-Man was undercover as someone else, and he wasn't planning on killing Norman.

I thought this issue was better than ASM #597.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:35 am

OH MY GAWD!!!!

Dark Reign The List Avengers

So first off, just let me say that this Djurdjevic guy sure can do some nice painted covers. That being said. Don't ever draw the interiors ever again. Static and bland. Yuck. I think I would rather have a DC house artist, no forget that, I think I would rather have a Boom! house artist draw every book, at least they have some fluidity to their drawings.

Second of all what's up with one page having a lot of words and the next page none?

Okay, now that I have started. I see this comic is in need of some Old Man hijinx.

Cover... whatever, Clint is gonna kill Norman. I wish.

Pg. 1 - recap... zzzzzz. wake me when it's over.

pg. 2 and 3 - holy crap that's a lot of words. Why does anyone know about the Scarlett Witch, wouldn't that shit have been in Tony's files that he took. Really the X-Men and the Avengers went to the white house and briefed the President on that shit and good old W. didn't have them all detained in Guantanamo? I call bullshit.

pg. 4 and 5 - huh so that's what I missed in X-Men, Genosha mark II? and um, yeah see cover comment.

pg. 6 - Hey look, Bendis wrote this comic.

pg. 7 - Bucky killed Hitler? Where did this happen? Is New Avengers a sequel to Inglorius Basterds?

pg. 8 - Really a ten commandments joke?

pg. 9 - who the hell is the chick with the goggles?

pg. 10 and 11 - something is wrong in a Bendis book when Spidey is the voice of rational thought. Just sayin.

pg. 12 and 13 - Oh its that chick I didn't know who was in Secret Invasion. Who cares? Hey look the marketing guy must have wrote this scene.

pg. 14 and 15 - Why hawkeye, that's a big gun you have.

pg 16 and 17 - this comic brought to you by the Japanese Hybrids that don't try to kill you.

pg 18 and 19 - Oh shit its the big yellow guy, this fight should last negative 30 seconds, yet somehow hawkeye makes it in the building?

pg 20 - Hey Venom looks like penance when he sleeps.

pg 21 - hey its the big gun...

pg 22 and 23 - Bullseye heals? Daken can kill Punsiher but not HAWKEYE???!!!??? Meanwhile, it turns out all HAMMER employees where candidates in the special hire program at Micky Dee's.

pg 24and 25 - Hey a marvel video game, is it any good?

pg 26 - BOOBIES!!!

pg. 27 - BOOBIES BLOW SHIT UP!!!

Pg. 28 - Norman's guys suck and how the hell did Clint get in there? Avengers mansion security really sucks.

pg. 29 - Why does everyone talk so much?

Pg. 30 - Why is Ares alive? Oh yeah this is old... nevermind!

Pg. 31 - Is Clint dead? I don't remember. I should read more Avengers books. Oh wait, they are all cancelled? Sorry Punchy and Twiggs, I guess you can blame me.

Story 4
Art 5
Overall 4.5

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 am

wut?

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 am

thefourthman wrote:OH MY GAWD!!!!

Dark Reign The List Avengers

So first off, just let me say that this Djurdjevic guy sure can do some nice painted covers. That being said. Don't ever draw the interiors ever again. Static and bland. Yuck. I think I would rather have a DC house artist, no forget that, I think I would rather have a Boom! house artist draw every book, at least they have some fluidity to their drawings.

Second of all what's up with one page having a lot of words and the next page none?

Okay, now that I have started. I see this comic is in need of some Old Man hijinx.

Cover... whatever, Clint is gonna kill Norman. I wish.

Pg. 1 - recap... zzzzzz. wake me when it's over.

pg. 2 and 3 - holy crap that's a lot of words. Why does anyone know about the Scarlett Witch, wouldn't that shit have been in Tony's files that he took. Really the X-Men and the Avengers went to the white house and briefed the President on that shit and good old W. didn't have them all detained in Guantanamo? I call bullshit.

pg. 4 and 5 - huh so that's what I missed in X-Men, Genosha mark II? and um, yeah see cover comment.

pg. 6 - Hey look, Bendis wrote this comic.

pg. 7 - Bucky killed Hitler? Where did this happen? Is New Avengers a sequel to Inglorius Basterds?

pg. 8 - Really a ten commandments joke?

pg. 9 - who the hell is the chick with the goggles?

pg. 10 and 11 - something is wrong in a Bendis book when Spidey is the voice of rational thought. Just sayin.

pg. 12 and 13 - Oh its that chick I didn't know who was in Secret Invasion. Who cares? Hey look the marketing guy must have wrote this scene.

pg. 14 and 15 - Why hawkeye, that's a big gun you have.

pg 16 and 17 - this comic brought to you by the Japanese Hybrids that don't try to kill you.

pg 18 and 19 - Oh shit its the big yellow guy, this fight should last negative 30 seconds, yet somehow hawkeye makes it in the building?

pg 20 - Hey Venom looks like penance when he sleeps.

pg 21 - hey its the big gun...

pg 22 and 23 - Bullseye heals? Daken can kill Punsiher but not HAWKEYE???!!!??? Meanwhile, it turns out all HAMMER employees where candidates in the special hire program at Micky Dee's.

pg 24and 25 - Hey a marvel video game, is it any good?

pg 26 - BOOBIES!!!

pg. 27 - BOOBIES BLOW SHIT UP!!!

Pg. 28 - Norman's guys suck and how the hell did Clint get in there? Avengers mansion security really sucks.

pg. 29 - Why does everyone talk so much?

Pg. 30 - Why is Ares alive? Oh yeah this is old... nevermind!

Pg. 31 - Is Clint dead? I don't remember. I should read more Avengers books. Oh wait, they are all cancelled? Sorry Punchy and Twiggs, I guess you can blame me.

Story 4
Art 5
Overall 4.5

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand