Advertisement

Review Group Week 188 - BEASTS OF BURDEN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:39 am

starlord wrote:I'd prefer to tea bag, but that's a whole different story. :wink:

wait what about tossed salads?

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:39 am

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 am

Beasts of Burden #1

Paranormal investigative books are a dime a dozen these days, I blame Mike Mignola. So if one is to bring a new one to the table, it better be something special.

Dorkin and Thompson do just that. By taking a group of familiar housepets (mostly dogs) and putting them in the supernatural investigation business, having demonic frogs fly from the sky, and rumors of a society in the background, they may have found a new way to tell those same tales.

On its surface, Beasts of Burden isn't any different from Hellboy or Proof or any of those. Here we have the formation of the team and some solid dialogue and story progression. If it were that with plain people, it might has well be Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft. Instead, we have the doggies and the kitties. It would stink of syrupy saccherine if not for the dark edge of the story - while still maintaining a family friendly vibe.

Remarkably though, it is the way Thompson draws the book that makes it stand out. Instead of going the anthropomorphic route, she wisely draws beautiful dogs and cats and livens them up with water colors. If not for people eating frogs, this could be a classics illustrated version of The Incredible Journey.

In fact, it has that heart warming vibe to it, despite its tale of a town with a Buffy like nexus.
I am sure that dog lovers will like the book even more as the often playful nature of puppies literally jumps off the page.

While the story is just solid, the art is nothing short of spectacular and combined their is something special in the coming here.

Story - 7
Art - 10
Overall - 8.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 am

Punchy wrote:This was pretty much no different from any other Dark Horse, Image, DC or Marvel book! Are you reviewing the paper stock now! :P

Not only don't I understand what you are getting at with the paper stock thing, your eagerness to try and be a prick might prove you have no aesthetic sensibility or may have Assburger's Syndrome.

But as regards to the paper stock, they didn't skimp on the cover or rape my wallet for an extra dollar or more, like Marvel would if this had been picked up by ICON. Which, as I'm sure the people not blessed with your autistic nature realized I was getting at, was my point--they didn't pack it with ads, short the page count, and price it at $3.99 like a lot of other publishers would have.

As regards to overall design and the designer I mentioned, if you can't perceive the quality work she did you should just hide your ignorance with silence, it will make you seem less stupid over time.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:53 am

He's just pissy cause he realized he even hates himself: http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=26659 :wink: :twisted: :lol: :shock: :? :?:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 am

thefourthman wrote:He's just pissy cause he realized he even hates himself: http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=26659 :wink: :twisted: :lol: :shock: :? :?:

Seriously, is the Xavier Institute accredited or anything at all?!

Worst education for your money, apparently.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:02 pm

House of J wrote:Not only don't I understand what you are getting at with the paper stock thing, your eagerness to try and be a prick might prove you have no aesthetic sensibility or may have Assburger's Syndrome.

But as regards to the paper stock, they didn't skimp on the cover or rape my wallet for an extra dollar or more, like Marvel would if this had been picked up by ICON. Which, as I'm sure the people not blessed with your autistic nature realized I was getting at, was my point--they didn't pack it with ads, short the page count, and price it at $3.99 like a lot of other publishers would have.

As regards to overall design and the designer I mentioned, if you can't perceive the quality work she did you should just hide your ignorance with silence, it will make you seem less stupid over time.

This is all well and good, but once again it comes back to you reviewing something other than the story of the comic. You devote a whole paragraph to an advert!

I like you, but you seem to fixate on weird nitpicks, at the expense of the meat of an issue.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Punchy wrote:This is all well and good, but once again it comes back to you reviewing something other than the story of the comic. You devote a whole paragraph to an advert!

I like you, but you seem to fixate on weird nitpicks, at the expense of the meat of an issue.

Vegetarian since before you were born, laddie.

I loved the story. It was one of the most enjoyable reads in a long time, in part because of how free of assumptions I'd bring with me it was. But like I said at the beginning, I'm a big fan of everything Evan's written from his earliest self-drawn, self-deprecating humor strips to his writing for television, and this is another side of his talent. He's a nice guy at cons, too. I loved reading it, so that about summed up what I had to say about the writing.

Jill Thompson, though, blew me away here. Very impressive work. I wonder how long it took to paint the issue?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:14 pm

I don't know if I'll be able to grab this. But I may end up getting it in trade just based on the reviews and subject.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Review possible tomorrow on this and The List thing too

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:54 pm

MrBlack wrote:How extensive was the previous story involving these animals? It seems like there is quite a bit of backstory I am not privy to. It didn't help that they didn't name many of the characters; one of them wasn't named in the book until after he died.

The story was good, but reading it, I understood what picking up a random issue of the X-Men must feel like to the average person.

There is back story? Really?
This felt like true exposition to me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:There is back story? Really?
This felt like true exposition to me.

:roll: I should learn to read words without pictures, that inside cover shit completely went unnoticed by me :roll:
I guess since I started reading comics in the day and age before recap pages and defined story arcs, I never have a problem stepping into a story that feels like it is already in progress if it is told well and this one is.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 pm

FYI, I will review the List some time this weekend. I hope.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 am

thefourthman wrote:FYI, I will review the List some time this weekend. I hope.

Ugh. If I were you I'd be hoping my dog would eat my homework. :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:23 am

amlah6 wrote:Ugh. If I were you I'd be hoping my dog would eat my homework. :wink:

It was good dammit!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand