Advertisement

Review Group Week 189 - WOLVERINE: GIANT SIZE OLD MAN LOGAN

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Porcelain38 wrote:So wait there's no big WHOZAH! there at the end? No epic battle? Just gardening?

I can't believe you're doubting House of J like this.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Porcelain38 wrote:So wait there's no big WHOZAH! there at the end? No epic battle? Just gardening?

Zen gardening. It's a whole different thing. It combines meditation plus horticulture in a waterless environment, including mindful placing of stones and the raking of the sand, which Wolverine's claws were practically made for--a Zen garden is never truly finished, so I would be surprised if there were not an Old Man Logan 2 in the future.

Porcelain38
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Seriously.
That's it?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Porcelain38 wrote:Seriously.
That's it?

Not quite. After the meditation sequence, Logan remembers a lot of money he hid away in the past but forgot about--which he then uses to build a schoolhouse so the trailer-Hulks can get a decent education, including Home Ec. so they can learn to cook their people before they eat them.

The funny thing, though, haha, is he could have just used that money in the first place! And never gotten into debt, wife and kids slaughtered, roadtrip, Red Skull, etc. Man, do him and Banner have a good laugh when they realize that!

Millar is a trip.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Old Man Logan #1

Ok, I won't rehash my observation that we are now apparently getting less for our $5 now than we were even just a month or two ago and go straight to the review:

Man, this book totally surprised me. I never expected such a thoughtful and poignant conclusion (?) to the OML storyline--when the two page SNIKT! happened last issue, I assumed this would just be a bloody panoply of chopped up, sliced-and-diced Hulkage, but Millar does a 180 here, or maybe even a 190, and turns everything you think you know about the character on its head.

On the way to kill some Hulks, Logan remembers his wife always loved Zen gardening, and thus begins the 12 pages of silent meditation panels. Usually I get peeved when an artist uses the same image over and over panel after panel, but this sequence really captures how it would feel to sit still and not think for days on end.

Logan has finally popped his claws again, and it is ironic that he uses them here to gently rake sand into swirling patterns that are reminiscent of the contours of Professor X's bald head, leading him to remember simpler days in the past and some money he hid someplace.

At first Logan is too intent on building the new Hulk school to realize he could've just paid off Banner with the money, when they both realize it at the same time it's a hoot. But when all is said and done, there are too many memories of good times and so Old Man Logan rides an old-timey bicycle out of town in the middle of the night.

Millar defied all my expectations here, and has promised to send me $2 in the mail to make up for the price.

I give this an 11.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm

hahahaa Punchy is a cry baby.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:hahahaa Punchy is a cry baby.

I didn't want Punchy to go off in a huff and quit posting--although that is pretty much what he was telling me I should do at the beginning :? . I don't think I've ever told anyone here they shouldn't post an opinion or observation just because I don't like reading it--I hope not anyway, because that is what pissed me off.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:27 pm

House of J wrote:I didn't want Punchy to go off in a huff and quit posting--although that is pretty much what he was telling me I should do at the beginning :? . I don't think I've ever told anyone here they shouldn't post an opinion or observation just because I don't like reading it--I hope not anyway, because that is what pissed me off.

You should do it more often. It's kind of fun especially when you win. Hell just two weeks ago I got someone so turned around he's barely back to posting anything of actual content.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:37 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You should do it more often. It's kind of fun especially when you win. Hell just two weeks ago I got someone so turned around he's barely back to posting anything of actual content.

Damn you and your cupcakes.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 298 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Ok this is the comic book form of Unforgiven. Hell.. I think Logan was wearing the same dirty hat and coat. Millar should stick to out of universe Marvel stuff. Where he tells the best stories without any continunity to worry about. That zen gardening sure paid off in the end though with that lone bud blooming. Such a sign of a new age a dawning.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Zechs wrote:Ok this is the comic book form of Unforgiven. Hell.. I think Logan was wearing the same dirty hat and coat. Millar should stick to out of universe Marvel stuff. Where he tells the best stories without any continunity to worry about. That zen gardening sure paid off in the end though with that lone bud blooming. Such a sing of a new age a dawning.

:lol: Mark Millar does seem to be drawing from a lot of films lately--and Ultimate Avengers even feels like a movie in terms of pacing and certain...tropes (I'm your father, Luke, oops, I'm your son, Cap). Feels like he is sort of writing film-ish comics. Maybe from working on screenplays or something, it has been a natural evolution.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 pm

McKegan wrote:Damn you and your cupcakes.

I had to get you into my rape van somehow.

- Les Paul

Porcelain38
dINGO

Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok, seriously. Him just gardening for a whole issue is bullshit.
What about the preview pages of him destroying the Hulks?
Him having money "he forgot" about to build a school has to be bullshit.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 298 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Porcelain38 wrote:Ok, seriously. Him just gardening for a whole issue is bullshit.
What about the preview pages of him destroying the Hulks?
Him having money "he forgot" about to build a school has to be bullshit.

Right after that was when he realized vegenance would get him nothing but more death. When he was about to strike down that poor helpless bartender.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Porcelain38 wrote:Him having money "he forgot" about to build a school has to be bullshit.

Well, it's a weak plot point, to be sure, but calling it bullshit will get Punchy on your ass, man.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand