Advertisement

Review Group Week 189 - WOLVERINE: GIANT SIZE OLD MAN LOGAN

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm

House of J wrote::lol: Mark Millar does seem to be drawing from a lot of films lately--and Ultimate Avengers even feels like a movie in terms of pacing and certain...tropes (I'm your father, Luke, oops, I'm your son, Cap). Feels like he is sort of writing film-ish comics. Maybe from working on screenplays or something, it has been a natural evolution.

Yeah he used about every damn cliche in the book for Old Man Logan save for the I am your father one. Guess he's saving that for Old Man Logan II.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Zechs wrote:Yeah he used about every damn cliche in the book for Old Man Logan save for the I am your father one. Guess he's saving that for Old Man Logan II.

Even the Zen Garden and meditation scene looked swiped from a Kurosawa film--I can't remember which one. Or maybe Mizoguchi Kenji, I'm not sure.

Porcelain38
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 pm

House of J wrote:Well, it's a weak plot point, to be sure, but calling it bullshit will get Punchy on your ass, man.

Punchy gargles the balls of Bendis. :roll:

I have nothing to worry about :-D

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 pm

House of J wrote:Even the Zen Garden and meditation scene looked swiped from a Kurosawa film--I can't remember which one. Or maybe Mizoguchi Kenji, I'm not sure.

Ran maybe? :-D

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Zechs wrote:Ran maybe? :-D

I think so, I'm really bad with titles.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:02 pm

House of J wrote:I think so, I'm really bad with titles.

Yeah, it was that. Espically the climax to it. :-D :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Giant Size Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Is it possible to really like something but still be disappointed? That is sort of how I felt about this after reading the conclusion. First off the art is amazing, Mcniven is so good... he is always a treat to read, I can't remember ever being disappointed by him. The story is pretty great and exactly what I was hoping for... lots of action, blood, cow guts, Hulk's upset tummy, really good stuff. My only problem is the ending, I was hoping for an ending and got a beginning. I am not sure how I wanted this to end, maybe I didn't want it to end but I expected something and got what we got which I won't spoil and while it intrigues me, I think I wanted some finality. Yes Millar is influenced by Unforgiven and Mad Max as well and this has been one of my favorite reads in a while and I am sure we will see more.

STORY - 8.9

ART - 10

OVERALL - 8.999999999

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I am not sure how I wanted this to end, maybe I didn't want it to end but I expected something and got what we got which I won't spoil and while it intrigues me, I think I wanted some finality.

I don't think Millar saw the end in terms of finality, though, since it sort of leads into his earlier Fantastic Four run at the end here--I say sort of because there isn't much to connect OML to the Hooded Man except Brucie--which ties in with his 1985, etc.

I think it was an interesting experiment to tie these disparate books together, the end here leaves plenty of room for more stories in between.

This was a better-executed story than his FF work, though.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Guys --

Can you please stop trying to irritate Punchy. I like the guy, even if he does think I don't have any points to make.

And it's not like you have a lot of posters here anyway. Do you really want to chase away ANY posters? This board could become as old and stale as the TCJ board, or the boards at Comicon/The Pulse.

Punchy --

Can you please stop taking offense at so much of what is posted? There are posts here that are written solely to get your ire up, and you are falling for it on a regular basis. Why bother? There are plenty of real posts to discuss or argue.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Old Man wrote:Guys --

Can you please stop trying to irritate Punchy. I like the guy, even if he does think I don't have any points to make.

And it's not like you have a lot of posters here anyway. Do you really want to chase away ANY posters? This board could become as old and stale as the TCJ board, or the boards at Comicon/The Pulse.

Punchy --

Can you please stop taking offense at so much of what is posted? There are posts here that are written solely to get your ire up, and you are falling for it on a regular basis. Why bother? There are plenty of real posts to discuss or argue.

I haven't been offended by anything intended to insult me, it's water off a duck's back, What I am offended by is HoJ's general attitude here.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Old Man wrote:Guys --

Punchy --

Nothing I wrote initially was intended to irritate Punchy or "get his ire up", not one word was written with him in mind at all. You can see from his last post that any offense taken he brought with him already. Couldn't care less, and nothing I can do about that.

Your post is annoying, especially, since the whole back-and-forth began with him saying he wanted me out of the group, not the opposite. Maybe you are old and forgetful.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:40 pm

Wolverine Old Man Logan Giant Size Special #1

First I will say the one great thing about Millar's writing in general. It is always an easy read. I mean, I was able to breeze through this entire thing in less than five minutes. That's Millar at his best!

The art was fantastic even if I was less than enthused with all the typical blood and guts that I knew was going to be in here.

Of course I came into this story at the end but did read the previously section. That, alone, made me laugh out loud. For a second I honestly thought this was supposed to be kind of a tongue in cheeck Wolverine story. If it had, I would have given this thing a 9.5 easy. But I guess I was supposed to take it seriously. Who knew.

Oh and for the record. This was no where near the money that had to be forked out.

Story: 2
Art: 9
My Score: 4.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

maybe (and this is just a suggestion from someone who likes both of you), you all should agree to disagree or whatever it is going to take to be civil with each other (at least in this thread that is here for fun) and realize that neither of you are going to change. So accept each others idiosyncrasies and lighten up. Have fun.

Please.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:45 pm

starlord wrote:So accept each others idiosyncrasies and lighten up. Have fun.

Please.

Already done. I'm not the one who stormed off huffy, OR the one who brought it up again. I was having a perfectly good time sucking joy from Porcelain.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:46 pm

House of J wrote:Nothing I wrote initially was intended to irritate Punchy or "get his ire up", not one word was written with him in mind at all. You can see from his last post that any offense taken he brought with him already. Couldn't care less, and nothing I can do about that.

Your post is annoying, especially, since the whole back-and-forth began with him saying he wanted me out of the group, not the opposite. Maybe you are old and forgetful.

In your initial post you called me out, 'And yes Punchy'.

Don't lie! :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand