Advertisement

Review Group Week 189 - WOLVERINE: GIANT SIZE OLD MAN LOGAN

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 38724
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 51 posts
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm
Title: Leader of The Society


Postby GLX » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 pm

dairydead wrote:I learn something new every day. Quick read = terrible comic. Who'd have thought?


Damn right. Must mean that Owly sucks.
Image

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Punchy wrote:We should all be pissed off? Bollocks.

We should, we waited how long for this?
It cost how much?
It took how long to read?
It could have been written by just about anyone...
At the end of the day, all we have is great art in this issue and even that is disappointing because it is mostly spreads and two panels.

It is a nice package of what everyone outside of comics complains about - lite on story, all about the art, never know when they come out, overpriced, if you haven't been reading it - it doesn't make sense. It is everything we want fixed in one package with big fat Marvel bow on it. So, yeah, we should be pissed.

If it had come out on time, or better yet, this had been included in the last issue and that was giant sized long ass titled comic book #1, then I wouldn't be pissed.

Nothing about this issue is mind blowing, nothing about this issue will get more people to buy Wolverine comics or comics in general.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:We should, we waited how long for this?
It cost how much?
It took how long to read?
It could have been written by just about anyone...
At the end of the day, all we have is great art in this issue and even that is disappointing because it is mostly spreads and two panels.

It is a nice package of what everyone outside of comics complains about - lite on story, all about the art, never know when they come out, overpriced, if you haven't been reading it - it doesn't make sense. It is everything we want fixed in one package with big fat Marvel bow on it. So, yeah, we should be pissed.

If it had come out on time, or better yet, this had been included in the last issue and that was giant sized long ass titled comic book #1, then I wouldn't be pissed.

Nothing about this issue is mind blowing, nothing about this issue will get more people to buy Wolverine comics or comics in general.


None of that matters if the comic was enjoyable to read. It brought many of us plasure, whether it was late, or expensive, or too much art, it's irrelevant if the actual book is awesome.

And I disagree that this could have been written by anyone, this was a Mark Millar joint through and through.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:00 pm


thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:None of that matters if the comic was enjoyable to read. It brought many of us plasure, whether it was late, or expensive, or too much art, it's irrelevant if the actual book is awesome.

And I disagree that this could have been written by anyone, this was a Mark Millar joint through and through.

But all of you that love it seem to be reviewing the arc. IF I were reviewing the arc, this would have gotten a much higher score. I am not reviewing the arc though. I am reviewing this late, over priced, no substance issue.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:03 pm


wait, how did the sod count HOJ's sarcastic 11?

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:But all of you that love it seem to be reviewing the arc. IF I were reviewing the arc, this would have gotten a much higher score. I am not reviewing the arc though. I am reviewing this late, over priced, no substance issue.


My review was pretty much about this issue, I mentioned the rest of the arc, but always in relation to how this issue wraps that plot up, or how this issue improves on it.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Punchy wrote:My review was pretty much about this issue, I mentioned the rest of the arc, but always in relation to how this issue wraps that plot up, or how this issue improves on it.

The plot was wrapped up last issue. This issue played out better in my head. For the cost and the wait, this should have been the best comic ever and it falls way short.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:The plot was wrapped up last issue. This issue played out better in my head. For the cost and the wait, this should have been the best comic ever and it falls way short.


Was it really? I think we needed to see this release, ending the story on the unsheathing of the claws would piss people off, and there was also plot stuff like the Baby Hulk that wasn't in Wolverine #72.

And just because it wasn't the best book ever doesn't mean it's bad.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Punchy wrote:Was it really? I think we needed to see this release, ending the story on the unsheathing of the claws would piss people off, and there was also plot stuff like the Baby Hulk that wasn't in Wolverine #72.

And just because it wasn't the best book ever doesn't mean it's bad.

I never said it was BAD. I gave it a seven, I even called it above average and that is right smack at the beginning of good. I didn't even rate it lower for the wait and cost.

I'm just saying, we should be pissed, but instead everyone is acting like it is the second coming.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:wait, how did the sod count HOJ's sarcastic 11?


Review posted, no score given.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:I never said it was BAD. I gave it a seven, I even called it above average and that is right smack at the beginning of good. I didn't even rate it lower for the wait and cost.

I'm just saying, we should be pissed, but instead everyone is acting like it is the second coming.


But since the people giving it 9 or 10 reviews enjoyed it more than you, why should they be pissed?

Just because you're angry doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Punchy wrote:But since the people giving it 9 or 10 reviews enjoyed it more than you, why should they be pissed?

Just because you're angry doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

But why aren't you mad? It cost two dollars more than a regular comic so that they could print all the covers, which you already have bigger or didn't want to spend extra on, over again. There were no behind the scenes extras and it wasn't bigger than a book DC would charge you the same price for. Plus we waited forever...

Does the health of the industry which relates directly to the health of the medium not matter to you at all?

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26537
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm

amlah6 wrote:Review posted, no score given.

cool. I was hoping that the sod was not a blind follower.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34370
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:But why aren't you mad? It cost two dollars more than a regular comic so that they could print all the covers, which you already have bigger or didn't want to spend extra on, over again. There were no behind the scenes extras and it wasn't bigger than a book DC would charge you the same price for. Plus we waited forever...

Does the health of the industry which relates directly to the health of the medium not matter to you at all?


I'm not mad because the issue was fucking great.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 114 guests

Advertisement