Advertisement

Review Group Week 190 - TEEN TITANS #75

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 am

Remember when Teen Titans actually mattered?

OK, me neither, but there were times when I actually enjoyed this book. I wasn't reading anything except GIJoe and Transformers the first time this title was actually "good" and trying to find back issues of the Wolfman/Pérez issues is made more difficult given the fact the title seemed to change names five times during their run. Regardless, I've read Judas Contract and laughed at Nightwing's costume. It was good times.

Since I've actually been collecting super hero comics, I've seen a few tries at relaunching the Titans and I've got at least one comic from each relaunch. There was some fun to be had in each try but nothing really grabbed me until the excitement of Infinite Crisis pulled me into Teen Titans. Man, remember when something called "Crisis" could actually be exciting? Not saying that excitement was justified but it was during the build up to Infinite Crisis where I bought the most DC titles. Johns' run on the book had a plausible reason for bringing the Young Justice team together and even a way to add some former Titans like Cyborg and Starfire to the mix. And it worked.

Seventy-five issues later, someone's forgotten why this title even exists. Why is this team hanging out together? Where's Superboy and Kid Flash? I can understand that Tim's off being crazy after Grant Morrison got to him but this is by far the weakest and most uninteresting lineup I could imagine. Blue Beetle? Cool. Static Shock? Potential. Wonder Girl? Right on. The rest of the team including Beast Boy? zzzzzz. They don't even seem to like each other. Beast Boy and Raven just seem to be passing through to me.

And the story? Bland. Disjointed. There are parts where I really did think I skipped a page. There are other parts that seem to be ripped out of other comics that don't fit in at all except the characters on panel talking about the Titans. The best thing about the comic is the Ravager back-up story. I don't exactly know what's going on but I can figure most of it out and it actually kept me interested. The main story was a bunch of people not getting along, flashbacks over Titans history, nebulous threats, disjointed story elements, and a whole heaping helping of boring.

This title needs to clearly define why it exists, why the members are together, and why it's important to read. Right now? It's giving me little reason to pick up Titans in the future. You'd think teenage super heroes would be a no brainer but this proves otherwise.

Teen Titans gets a 2 even with the Ravager back-up. Get your act together, comic.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 am

still waiting for Punchy's review... :)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Remember when Teen Titans actually mattered?

Teen Titans gets a 2 even with the Ravager back-up. Get your act together, comic.

I add my 2 to your 2. It's not worth wasting much time trashing this book, but I do actually remember when Teen Titans mattered, and one of the reasons they mattered was Marv Wolfman's portrayal of teens as young adults handling some heavy issues in between fighting Trigon and The Terminator. Is it merely bad writing and drawing, or a sign of the neoteny especially endemic in our leisure class culture of the 21st century that these teens are depicted slouching around like sulky ballerinas and arguing like toddlers deprived of nappys--if I were a teen I'd be rather insulted by this book!

Welp, I didn't bother reading the Ravager back-up story because a) Ravager is dumb. b) It's in the middle of a story I couldn't care less about. and c) The guy at the counter was starting to give me the stink-eye.

That's right, I Byrned this book! There's no way I would pay money for that. I thought about a 1, but Haunt looks so bad I figured I'd better leave it a little room at the bottom, just in case.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to calibrate the low end of my scale.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 am

starlord wrote:still waiting for Punchy's review... :)

I'm in too good a mood to really bash it, but since I've already done Haunt and thus don't have to bother with it, I'm sure the bad vibes in that thread will anger me enough to go crazy on Titans.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

Punchy wrote:I'm in too good a mood to really bash it, but since I've already done Haunt and thus don't have to bother with it, I'm sure the bad vibes in that thread will anger me enough to go crazy on Titans.

STFU and post your gorram TT review! :evil:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 am

amlah6 wrote:STFU and post your gorram TT review! :evil:

You ranting is only going to make it later and later.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 am

doombug wrote:I know he was seeing Muse a couple days ago. Lucky prick.

Didn't get to see MUse because Carter Finley parking decided that forty was just as good a parking lot as anything they have. Did get to see all of U2 though... evidently some folks saw nothing. I am actually thinking about a class action lawsuit.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:37 am

thefourthman wrote:Didn't get to see MUse because Carter Finley parking decided that forty was just as good a parking lot as anything they have. Did get to see all of U2 though... evidently some folks saw nothing. I am actually thinking about a class action lawsuit.

Bono's got deep pockets. I hear he buys special pants.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 am

Oh and as for my not being around, Morgan has the FLu, so I have been nursing her for two days...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 am

thefourthman wrote:Oh and as for my not being around, Morgan has the FLu, so I have been nursing her for two days...

Kids these days.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:41 am

House of J wrote:Bono's got deep pockets. I hear he buys special pants.

I don't want to sue U2, it wasn't their fault, it was parking management at Carter Finley. It took me 3 and 3/4 hours to make a twenty minute drive. It was ridiculous. I will never go back to Carter Finley, not even if Paul and Ringo raise John and George from the dead to give a one time only concert that I am given tickets to. It's not worth the stress, I am convinced I lost ten years of my life that night.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:42 am

House of J wrote:Kids these days.

It's cool, I have washed my hands like a million times the last three days though. I don't think there is actually skin left on them any more...

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 am

Punchy wrote:You ranting is only going to make it later and later.

Well, you'll just have to miss the official bashing then because I just turned it in. :P

Score right now: 4.48

7th lowest score ever. :shock:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am

amlah6 wrote:Well, you'll just have to miss the official bashing then because I just turned it in. :P

Score right now: 4.48

7th lowest score ever. :shock:

What's the lowest? that text issue of Batman?

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:58 am

Punchy wrote:What's the lowest? that text issue of Batman?

Yep. At 3.59 which is extra impressive since it had 3 scores over 8.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand