Advertisement

Review Group Week 191 - HAUNT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:I meant that you didn't seem excited and send the thread off into a tangent about it before you read it. :P

I still want to read Destroyer, hopefully I'll forget I read MZ2 at some point.

that book was great

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Daringd wrote:I was quite surprised by this, it didn’t suck. Is it straight out of the 90’s sure...

Straight out of the 90s? Yep, that's why it sucked.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Punchy wrote:So what good choices does GLX have for next week?

Also known as the "What Punchy is already buying next week" list.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Old Man wrote:Also known as the "What Punchy is already buying next week" list.

In his defense, he isn't buying the Boom book.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:In his defense, he isn't buying the Boom book.

Or Deadpool, or Punisher: Frank Castle.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm

House of J wrote:What has McFarlane done to earn animosity from the comics reading community?

He won't let us play with his balls.

Says they're too valuable, and that kids shouldn't be exposed to the steroidal substance on his balls.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:13 pm

MrBlack wrote:I just worry that this won't get a fair shake because of McFarlane's involvement.

I understand what you are saying, but life is what it is. McFarlane tossed away what good will he had by acting like a jackass.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Old Man wrote:I understand what you are saying, but life is what it is. McFarlane tossed away what good will he had by acting like a jackass.

So, what good will did you toss away?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:So, what good will did you toss away?

Well, quite some time ago, I tossed away what little good will I had with my wife. Then she divorced me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Old Man wrote:Well, quite some time ago, I tossed away what little good will I had with my wife. Then she divorced me.

Well that makes sense, why are you a jack ass to everyone else?

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:Well that makes sense, why are you a jack ass to everyone else?

Just doin' what comes naturally!

I worked in a factory for a long time, until they closed. It was like being in a shark tank there. Kill or be killed, figuratively.
___

Where does one learn how to handle a bulldozer?

In Grade School.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Haunt #1
Robert Kirkman is probably my favorite writer and maybe that is the reason why I felt let down after reading this. I don't see this as something I could get into or continue reading. I actually was quite enjoying it up until the last 4 pages where the title character is introduced. I am indifferent on McFarlane, I never read his Spiderman or Spawn stuff and I know he makes toys so me not liking this has nothing to do with my opinion of him... but this felt like sort of a cash grab, 'lets put Kirkman and McFarlane's name on this and see what happens.'
(Trying something different here)
Pros:
- The dynamic between the brothers before and after Kurt's death.
- The torture scene made me chuckle a bit.
- Kirkman's writing keeps things interesting.
Cons:
- The name of this book is just stupid.
- The name of this character is even more stupid.
- The character design may be the worst idea ever.
- Ottley's art is nowhere close to his Invincible stuff but that may be a by-product of McFarlane.
- The death of Kurt was really glossed over, I had to check to see if I was missing pages

So Kirkman writes a solid yet flawed story that is ruined by possibly one of the worst characters ever created, I mean c'mon he throws up his costume? WTF is that? I may have thought that was cool when I was 12 but that is just fucking stupid.

STORY - 7
ART - 7
OVERALL - 6
(Minus 1 point for unoriginal title character)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:33 pm

I see lots of complaints of McFarlane messing up Ottley's work, but to me the whole book looks like a mish mash, some places it is all Capullo, a couple of times it is very much Ottley and a few places it looks like McFarlane, for some reason the art overall reminds me very much of Kick Ass.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:45 pm

thefourthman wrote:I see lots of complaints of McFarlane messing up Ottley's work, but to me the whole book looks like a mish mash, some places it is all Capullo, a couple of times it is very much Ottley and a few places it looks like McFarlane, for some reason the art overall reminds me very much of Kick Ass.

The action sequences are VERY 'Kick-Ass' It is pretty inconsistent all the way through and you are probably right about it being a collective mess and not Mcfarlane.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:The action sequences are VERY 'Kick-Ass' It is pretty inconsistent all the way through and you are probably right about it being a collective mess and not Mcfarlane.

When I score this the art is going to get raked, which is sad cause I like the style, but it is a mess. Three artists with very different styles come together apparantly trying to ape another style all together and create inconsistency.... it's a shame really. I like all three artists.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand