Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Unwritten #6

Another great issue. Some wild stuff goes down including a conversation between the main female character and a mysterious force. Gross brought some solid art. The ending was nice and I'm ready for the next issue.

8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 pm

House of J wrote:Um. Going into this book after reading only #1, I don't have any clue how to review or score this issue.

It's tempting to put $10 into the first trade and try again but there's some other stuff I'd really like to get like Noir instead.

:?I guess I'll read it over later and see what I think then.

The trade is solicited for January (heaven forbid DC coordinate it so that the trade and first issue of the new arc come out the same day :roll:) so you have plenty of time to think about it. :wink:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 pm

amlah6 wrote:The trade is solicited for January (heaven forbid DC coordinate it so that the trade and first issue of the new arc come out the same day :roll:) so you have plenty of time to think about it. :wink:

Crap, I thought it was out already.

Hunh.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 pm

I wasn't too impressed with this. It's alright, but I can still see why I dropped it

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 pm

I did buy this and will read it, but for the record, this is ruining my idea of buying the trades when they come out.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Third shop was the charm and as an added bonus I was able to grab the Fantastic Four: First Family (Joe Casey/Chris Weston) and Skrull Kill Krew (Grant Morrison/Mark Millar) trades out of their $5 bin.

I'll post a review... when I get around to it. 8)

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm

not playing this week as I am waiting for trade on this comic
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 pm

House of J wrote:Um. Going into this book after reading only #1, I don't have any clue how to review or score this issue.

It's tempting to put $10 into the first trade and try again but there's some other stuff I'd really like to get like Noir instead.

:?I guess I'll read it over later and see what I think then.

if you do DCBS, the first trade is only $4.99
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm

starlord wrote:I did buy this and will read it, but for the record, this is ruining my idea of buying the trades when they come out.

What do you mean? That you intended to buy the trade reprinting 1-5 but may not?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm

House of J wrote:What do you mean? That you intended to buy the trade reprinting 1-5 but may not?

I probably will when it comes out. I just hate reading the middle of stories when I'm buying the trades.

But I will. I don't want to be accused of being a "Punchy".

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm

GHERU wrote:if you do DCBS, the first trade is only $4.99

That's a good deal. I am going to be ordering online primarily soon. Unfortunately now I have to review #6 on its own and it isn't that new-reader friendly. :? I don't want to spoil the tpb or why buy it, but I feel like I need more background to understand #6.

C'est la morte.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 pm

starlord wrote:I probably will when it comes out. I just hate reading the middle of stories when I'm buying the trades.

But I will. I don't want to be accused of being a "Punchy".

Ok, that's what I thought you meant, I am with you there. I'm really curious to see how the rest of the folks who read #1 only react here.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 pm

I read number 1 and liked it a lot. I didn't know the first trade was out yet. :?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm

starlord wrote:I read number 1 and liked it a lot. I didn't know the first trade was out yet. :?

its not
comes out 1/12/10
RUviews

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Sometimes you just gotta play the hand you're dealt.

The Unwritten #6

The Unwritten may be a great comic. A lot of people seem to think so. In fact, opening this issue there's a whole page of them. Imagine my surprise when on the next page there are another half a dozen, including the old site which grinds out publicity handjobs with abandon. All that's missing is a quote by GLX, which will probably make a debut next issue, and by then I expect at least three pages of glad-handing. There is so much wasted space on these pages, I couldn't help but wonder why they couldn't just combine them into one publicity page and maybe put it somewhere else. Looking at the first two pages alone, my design-head is already shaking.

(I thought the cover was attractive and eye-catching in contrast, BTW.)

Then there's a fake internet report that gives away some of what's been going prior to now, but from the perspective of someone who admittedly doesn't really know any of the facts. Speaking of just the facts, ma'am, under the headline it says this was posted on 10/21/09 @12 AM but at the end it says it was posted on 10/14/09 @12 AM. Can anyone reading this book monthly tell me if that is alluding to anything at all, or simply a dumb mistake? Because the two conflicting dates are like 6 inches from each other--from the perspective of someone who used to look for stuff like this for a living, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

In addition to the report, there are tons of other expository devices used here--almost too many, from the Inside Man Reports (which oddly switch to a narrator's voice in caption boxes that does seem semi-omniscient--WTF?!) to faux-Facebook, internet searches, poetry, newspaper stories--all of it gives a sort of general idea that a bunch of folks were brutally murdered and Tom is under arrest suspected of the crime. But honestly? I'd have traded all the cramped tiny text for one decent recap page at the beginning that clearly laid out the events of 1-5.

Tom's unfortunate circumstances take us readers on a magical tour of many fantastic locales, from an (Italian?) court-room, to the interior of a high-speed train, inside a French prison--meanwhile the girl I remember from issue 1 incites Bookdealer's Rage in me wandering around damaging the merchandise of my French compeers. Tom's acquired an irritating sidekick since issue 1--nothing very interesting is revealed about him here, and it seems like his narrative utility is to serve as someone for Tom to lecture about literary history in place of the reader. In prison Tom seems to suffer a martyr complex, seeing himself as a lone Crusader beset by pagans (Roland). He wakes up to an open cell door and wanders around until he runs into...Frankenstein! Probably. All of this is rendered competently without a lot of background detail in a lot of the panels.

I'm being a tad facetious with my review because I honestly don't know what else to do--this just isn't a very new reader-friendly issue. I'm sure Invisibles #5 wasn't either. But regrettably Unwritten #6 did not convince me to buy this book monthly, and might actually deter me from buying the first trade in January. (Hint: Take a clue from your old pal Mark Waid here, DC/Vertigo!)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand