Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We Wipe Last. Not Before."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:09 am

Old Man wrote:Issue 58 of Y pissed me off. I would have hated to have read that one out of order if I were a trade waiter.

is that when [spoiler]355 dies?[/spoiler]
If so, then yeah and I couldn't think of the issue that is why I did not list 3 of the best single issues ever for the series.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am

amlah6 wrote:I read it in hardcovers, but it's a shitty week (the day after Thanksgiving) and pickings are going to be slim. At least with Powers it'll be an awesome book and since I listen to the Bendis Tapes anything major that's happened in the book in the last volume has been spoiled for me anyway.

At Baltimore, Bendis said that it might ship early so you're probably safe. :wink:

In the end I would probably do Powers anyhow, because (like Hellboy) the series seem to do a good job of being self containted (much like Criminal) and with the rate the hardcovers come out, I probably won't remember any spoilers anyhow.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:14 am

thefourthman wrote:There is no reason to take issue with it. Within sixty issues BKV wrote two of the best single issues ever, #1 and #60... that is an achievement most writers never even get half of, yes I am looking your way Daniel Way and Brian Miller. :D

There were quite a few issues that only made the grade because of the baggage that went with them.


[spoiler]#60 is one of my favorite issues of anything ever--it made up for the fact that BKV promised a concrete answer to the plague's origin earlier in the run but later decided to leave it to the reader's own interpretation. (Before anyone jumps in here, no I don't think everything has to be answered, I only expected one based on interviews with BKV during the course of the book.)[/spoiler]
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:15 am

House of J wrote:[spoiler]#60 is one of my favorite issues of anything ever--it made up for the fact that BKV promised a concrete answer to the plague's origin earlier in the run but later decided to leave it to the reader's own interpretation. (Before anyone jumps in here, no I don't think everything has to be answered, I only expected one based on interviews with BKV during the course of the book.)[/spoiler]

I thought the answer was fairly concrete... I will reread it when the HC comes out and get back to you on that.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:18 am

thefourthman wrote:I thought the answer was fairly concrete... I will reread it when the HC comes out and get back to you on that.


[spoiler]It all depends on how you read it. I can't be arsed to find BKV's interview directly after the book's conclusion, but he admitted at least 3 possible scenarios and that although he knew which one he favored personally he wouldn't say what that was.[/spoiler]

So if you read it a certain way you probably do believe it was concrete.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 am

House of J wrote:[spoiler]It all depends on how you read it. I can't be arsed to find BKV's interview directly after the book's conclusion, but he admitted at least 3 possible scenarios and that although he knew which one he favored personally he wouldn't say what that was.[/spoiler]

So if you read it a certain way you probably do believe it was concrete.

oh, well if you meant like blah blah blah and bam, I got a reason that was all I needed... :lol:
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 am

I don't think BKV ever promised an answer as to why the Gendercide happened, or maybe he was just lying to hook mystery oriented readers.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

Punchy wrote:I don't think BKV ever promised an answer as to why the Gendercide happened, or maybe he was just lying to hook mystery oriented readers.
\

[spoiler]You don't think :P , but I remember an early interview where when asked if the origin would be definitively answered during the book, he said yes. Like I say, it was even re-addressed after the book was done.
I'm even willing to admit it's better that way, but it wasn't the original plan.
[/spoiler]
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 am

House of J wrote:\

[spoiler]You don't think :P , but I remember an early interview where when asked if the origin would be definitively answered during the book, he said yes. Like I say, it was even re-addressed after the book was done.
I'm even willing to admit it's better that way, but it wasn't the original plan.
[/spoiler]

52 was an example of the original plan being crap. WWIII proved that sometimes the original plan is crap.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 am

thefourthman wrote:52 was an example of the original plan being crap. WWIII proved that sometimes the original plan is crap.


It goes without saying that I have no problem to outlines or stories evolving and changing from the original plan. It'd be crazy otherwise--that's all part of letting the writer follow his own instincts.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

thefourthman wrote:In the end I would probably do Powers anyhow, because (like Hellboy) the series seem to do a good job of being self containted (much like Criminal) and with the rate the hardcovers come out, I probably won't remember any spoilers anyhow.


Drats! Foiled again. :x

I just want to pick something that will make you break your streak so that I can break my streak. After doing 122 picks in a row, I'd kind of like to just say 'fuck it' for once. :(
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:34 am

amlah6 wrote:Drats! Foiled again. :x

I just want to pick something that will make you break your streak so that I can break my streak. After doing 122 picks in a row, I'd kind of like to just say 'fuck it' for once. :(

My streak has an asterick at best at this point anyhow. Watchmen late... TT late. List not even read. Haunt late.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 am

thefourthman wrote:My streak has an asterick at best at this point anyhow. Watchmen late... TT late. List not even read. Haunt late.


The SoD has no asterisks. There are no late reviews. :wink:
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 am

amlah6 wrote:The SoD has no asterisks. There are no late reviews. :wink:

Sod and My ego/pride. Two completely different things.
User avatar

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am

thefourthman wrote:is that when [spoiler]355 dies?[/spoiler]
If so, then yeah and I couldn't think of the issue that is why I did not list 3 of the best single issues ever for the series.


Yes, that's the issue. I actually swore out loud, something I do all day long, but not when I read comic books. Had BKV been my neighbor, I would have been knocking on his door, then kicking him in the balls.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: COBRA Command, Google [Bot], oogy, Pharozonk and 79 guests