Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:09 am

Old Man wrote:Issue 58 of Y pissed me off. I would have hated to have read that one out of order if I were a trade waiter.

is that when [spoiler]355 dies?[/spoiler]
If so, then yeah and I couldn't think of the issue that is why I did not list 3 of the best single issues ever for the series.

Advertisement

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am

amlah6 wrote:I read it in hardcovers, but it's a shitty week (the day after Thanksgiving) and pickings are going to be slim. At least with Powers it'll be an awesome book and since I listen to the Bendis Tapes anything major that's happened in the book in the last volume has been spoiled for me anyway.

At Baltimore, Bendis said that it might ship early so you're probably safe. :wink:

In the end I would probably do Powers anyhow, because (like Hellboy) the series seem to do a good job of being self containted (much like Criminal) and with the rate the hardcovers come out, I probably won't remember any spoilers anyhow.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:14 am

thefourthman wrote:There is no reason to take issue with it. Within sixty issues BKV wrote two of the best single issues ever, #1 and #60... that is an achievement most writers never even get half of, yes I am looking your way Daniel Way and Brian Miller. :D

There were quite a few issues that only made the grade because of the baggage that went with them.


[spoiler]#60 is one of my favorite issues of anything ever--it made up for the fact that BKV promised a concrete answer to the plague's origin earlier in the run but later decided to leave it to the reader's own interpretation. (Before anyone jumps in here, no I don't think everything has to be answered, I only expected one based on interviews with BKV during the course of the book.)[/spoiler]

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:15 am

House of J wrote:[spoiler]#60 is one of my favorite issues of anything ever--it made up for the fact that BKV promised a concrete answer to the plague's origin earlier in the run but later decided to leave it to the reader's own interpretation. (Before anyone jumps in here, no I don't think everything has to be answered, I only expected one based on interviews with BKV during the course of the book.)[/spoiler]

I thought the answer was fairly concrete... I will reread it when the HC comes out and get back to you on that.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:18 am

thefourthman wrote:I thought the answer was fairly concrete... I will reread it when the HC comes out and get back to you on that.


[spoiler]It all depends on how you read it. I can't be arsed to find BKV's interview directly after the book's conclusion, but he admitted at least 3 possible scenarios and that although he knew which one he favored personally he wouldn't say what that was.[/spoiler]

So if you read it a certain way you probably do believe it was concrete.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 am

House of J wrote:[spoiler]It all depends on how you read it. I can't be arsed to find BKV's interview directly after the book's conclusion, but he admitted at least 3 possible scenarios and that although he knew which one he favored personally he wouldn't say what that was.[/spoiler]

So if you read it a certain way you probably do believe it was concrete.

oh, well if you meant like blah blah blah and bam, I got a reason that was all I needed... :lol:

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 am

I don't think BKV ever promised an answer as to why the Gendercide happened, or maybe he was just lying to hook mystery oriented readers.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

Punchy wrote:I don't think BKV ever promised an answer as to why the Gendercide happened, or maybe he was just lying to hook mystery oriented readers.
\

[spoiler]You don't think :P , but I remember an early interview where when asked if the origin would be definitively answered during the book, he said yes. Like I say, it was even re-addressed after the book was done.
I'm even willing to admit it's better that way, but it wasn't the original plan.
[/spoiler]

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 am

House of J wrote:\

[spoiler]You don't think :P , but I remember an early interview where when asked if the origin would be definitively answered during the book, he said yes. Like I say, it was even re-addressed after the book was done.
I'm even willing to admit it's better that way, but it wasn't the original plan.
[/spoiler]

52 was an example of the original plan being crap. WWIII proved that sometimes the original plan is crap.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 am

thefourthman wrote:52 was an example of the original plan being crap. WWIII proved that sometimes the original plan is crap.


It goes without saying that I have no problem to outlines or stories evolving and changing from the original plan. It'd be crazy otherwise--that's all part of letting the writer follow his own instincts.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Postby ****** » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

thefourthman wrote:In the end I would probably do Powers anyhow, because (like Hellboy) the series seem to do a good job of being self containted (much like Criminal) and with the rate the hardcovers come out, I probably won't remember any spoilers anyhow.


Drats! Foiled again. :x

I just want to pick something that will make you break your streak so that I can break my streak. After doing 122 picks in a row, I'd kind of like to just say 'fuck it' for once. :(

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:34 am

amlah6 wrote:Drats! Foiled again. :x

I just want to pick something that will make you break your streak so that I can break my streak. After doing 122 picks in a row, I'd kind of like to just say 'fuck it' for once. :(

My streak has an asterick at best at this point anyhow. Watchmen late... TT late. List not even read. Haunt late.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Postby ****** » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 am

thefourthman wrote:My streak has an asterick at best at this point anyhow. Watchmen late... TT late. List not even read. Haunt late.


The SoD has no asterisks. There are no late reviews. :wink:

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26812
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 am

amlah6 wrote:The SoD has no asterisks. There are no late reviews. :wink:

Sod and My ego/pride. Two completely different things.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am

thefourthman wrote:is that when [spoiler]355 dies?[/spoiler]
If so, then yeah and I couldn't think of the issue that is why I did not list 3 of the best single issues ever for the series.


Yes, that's the issue. I actually swore out loud, something I do all day long, but not when I read comic books. Had BKV been my neighbor, I would have been knocking on his door, then kicking him in the balls.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Zechs and 69 guests

Advertisement