Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Brought to you by the lowest bidder!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Final Crisis #1 - A Total Mess

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am

thefourthman wrote:well it's like he designed that just for you.


So, my 377 snail mails actually had an effect? Cool! :)
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:36 am

diana_fan wrote:So, my 377 snail mails actually had an effect? Cool! :)

persitance can have rewards...

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:I know that some time in the next month I am sitting down with Seven Soldiers of Victory and giving it a reread, I am positive that there are clues there..


Hey f-man - I started a thread on this just a few minutes ago. I would love to hear your thoughts.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:persitance can have rewards...


See? This is the kind of reassurance that motivates! :)
User avatar

BarryJordan

Paradigm of Fabulousness

Postby BarryJordan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

diana_fan wrote:See, I don't get this.

You've certainly read more DC than I have. Hell, I've only been reading comics for like 4+ years.

But I had absolutely NO trouble following Final Crisis. It wasn't incoherent at all. It flowed nicely, and set up one hell of a ride.


Like fourthman, I'm a huge DC fan, and I'm also an even huger Morrison fan. So, I was biased from the start. But I really enjoyed it. And JG Jones' art was to die for.
let me clarify...it's not so much that I don't follow it..it's that Morrison's M.O. of using obscure characters turns me off the book. I know I'm in the minority but I'm also not real big on the New Gods to begin with. This to me is not the payoff I've hoped for...I think DC has ruined the Monitors,One Year later has had mixed results and Countdown was a clusterfuck...my budget just can't continue to support stuff I'm not enjoying out of brand loyalty...for that reason DC has lost most of my business at least for right now

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:30 pm

BarryJordan wrote:let me clarify...it's not so much that I don't follow it..it's that Morrison's M.O. of using obscure characters turns me off the book. I know I'm in the minority but I'm also not real big on the New Gods to begin with. This to me is not the payoff I've hoped for...I think DC has ruined the Monitors,One Year later has had mixed results and Countdown was a clusterfuck...my budget just can't continue to support stuff I'm not enjoying out of brand loyalty...for that reason DC has lost most of my business at least for right now


OK, that I understand. I disagree. But I understand. :)

ETA: Let me expand on that. I really enjoy when a book/film/comic/whatever makes me rip open an encyclopedia or go on-line, etc., and look things up.

In chat each night, a few real DC gurus show up, and I always have questions for them. Especially when PT was turning me onto the Legion, for example.

I LIVE for this kind of thing. Obscure characters, wild ideas, all of it. I need to look into every panel, look-up characters, divine the occult meanings of things, the whole nine yards.

So, it's just a difference in approach, really. I really understand your feelings, I just disagree.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:31 pm

diana_fan wrote:OK, that I understand. I disagree. But I understand. :)

ETA: Let me expand on that. I really enjoy when a book/film/comic/whatever makes me rip open an encyclopedia or go on-line, etc., and look things up.

In chat each night, a few real DC gurus show up, and I always have questions for them. Especially when PT was turning me onto the Legion, for example.

I LIVE for this kind of thing. Obscure characters, wild ideas, all of it. I need to look into every panel, look-up characters, divine the occult meanings of things, the whole nine yards.

So, it's just a difference in approach, really. I really understand your feelings, I just disagree.

easter eggs make them more fun...
like I said in my review and I say in the shops...
I love this book, but I realize that it plays to my particular sensibilities.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 pm

thefourthman wrote:easter eggs make them more fun...
like I said in my review and I say in the shops...
I love this book, but I realize that it plays to my particular sensibilities.


I think that's absolutely true.

And I think that Morrison writes books for HIMSELF first, and for fans second. I really do. So, after reading multiple interviews with Grant, and reading multiple pieces on the Final Crisis, I was basically prepared for what was coming.

But I completely understand those who are, as the British say, gobsmacked and wonder what the HELL is going on.

There's a way of dealing with the book.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Okay, so putting the pieces together, I'm starting to understand some things about this issue. I've only just read it now (see "I Hate Canada Post pt. 24 thread) but:

I feel like I've got to have read so much more from this. Thankfully, I've spent a night going through wikipedia entries on everything that's happened since Infinite Crisis.

There are way too many threads to follow. I don't think this will be tied up in a 7 issue series. I also feel like there are too many tie-ins that I'm supposed to be reading and I don't want to be. I long for a good 80s-style crossover.

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of J.G. Jones. He doesn't have the flash of a Quitely or the sensibility of a Cassaday, but I think he'll suffice.

(spoilers abound)










I'm guessing there's a 7S connection with the Darkside Club and the little kids, who I'm assuming are Leviathan from the Klarion mini-series.

I'm also going to take a stab-theory and say that the Metron that appears in this issue is the 5th World Metron and that this earth is going to become the fifth world, I think Morrison hinted at this in the 7S and JLA: Mageddon stuff he's done earlier.

(no more spoils of war)

I thought it was good and I don't see why it's a total mess. I think it'll be good. Despite all the crap with Batman going on, I'm going to put my faith in Grant to pull this off.

Jeff

Post Whore

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:42 am

I have mixed feelings about this. Basically I liked it. If you took it on its own merits (and ignored the obvious continuity nightmares with the New Gods in particular) it was a entertaining read. It was, however, mainly set up and since Countdown (shudder) was supposed to be the year long set up for this event that made me a bit frustrated. On the other hand from a story telling point of view it is probably better that Morrison wipe the slate clean and tell the story he wants to tell. Hopefully it will be good.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests