Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:stop reading series books. Those are the only books I see it in... or fuckers like Patterson where it doesn't matter if the book is part of a series, they are all the same.

MMPB do not equal most books. :P

Ok, that's what I thought too.

But even if it was done to ape the MMPB format, I still think it's out of place--La Chanson de Roland is an 11th C book and I would've gone with one sensible recap page done in the style of an illuminated manuscript or something at the front. Unfortunately, seeing all that publicity jazz there did not put me in the mind of reading literature, or even something literature-related, but made the comic feel cheapened upon opening.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Maybe it's because I'm cheap and don't by first print hardbacks, and wait until the books have been around for a while. But I've read novels with like 5 pages of quotes.

When I was your age I would've torn them out and thrown them away unread.

I am much more even-minded now.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:28 pm

House of J wrote:When I was your age I would've torn them out and thrown them away unread.

I am much more even-minded now.

I just wouldn't have bought the damn thing. Your book isn't any good, but you paid all these people to praise it. That's the mindset five pages of that shit puts me in.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 pm

thefourthman wrote:I just wouldn't have bought the damn thing. Your book isn't any good, but you paid all these people to praise it. That's the mindset five pages of that shit puts me in.

That's the problem with those publicity blurbs, they don't even guarantee the person read it these days, much less liked it. In the book-world, it's often a quid pro quo kind of thing. Not always. But enough to make them sort of despicable upon sight.

A well-written introduction by another writer who is a true fan of the author or book in question is infinitely more preferable (and readable, sometimes!).

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:41 pm

House of J wrote:
A well-written introduction by another writer who is a true fan of the author or book in question is infinitely more preferable (and readable, sometimes!).

THIS!!!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Some of you do make 1-5 sound like an ok read--this might be an odd transition issue that was just hard to penetrate without having read them.

Although fourthy's review makes me think it was not the greatest transition issue ever. But it has to be better having read 1-5. Some people won't mind the different faux-websites and the like, but I hope it isn't a trend in upcoming issues.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:46 pm

House of J wrote:Some of you do make 1-5 sound like an ok read--this might be an odd transition issue that was just hard to penetrate without having read them.

Although fourthy's review makes me think it was not the greatest transition issue ever. But it has to be better having read 1-5. Some people won't mind the different faux-websites and the like, but I hope it isn't a trend in upcoming issues.

He has done it periodically, but it has not been an every issue thing. Seems to me it happened a couple times in the first issue and maybe the second.

I really think issue 5 just killed the books momentum. I will probably read the trade to figure it all out.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:okay. I was wearing a pink gingham apron with ruffles.

Oh, I so love gingham.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Old Man wrote:Oh, I so love gingham.

good. I am glad someone appreciates it. I know I don't. It is wool and it makes my belly itch. Some people have suggested this might not be a problem if I wore clothes underneath it. But I am incredulous.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:02 am

I just don't get why you should care so much about promo quotes, rip them out of a book? Why? It's harmless!

I can understand your problems with the book itself... but this is the same as bashing a comic because you don't like how the Editor writes the Letter column.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:54 am

Punchy wrote:I just don't get why you should care so much about promo quotes, rip them out of a book? Why? It's harmless!

I can understand your problems with the book itself... but this is the same as bashing a comic because you don't like how the Editor writes the Letter column.

If the letters column (a rarity these days) had been so ham-handedly placed like the blurb-fest, I would've mentioned it too. To be honest, I would prefer a real letters column with honest reactions to the book over it.

PS When I still bought a number of magazines monthly, I'd tear out all the ads just to see what was left--not much often.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:11 am

House of J wrote:If the letters column (a rarity these days) had been so ham-handedly placed like the blurb-fest, I would've mentioned it too. To be honest, I would prefer a real letters column with honest reactions to the book over it.

PS When I still bought a number of magazines monthly, I'd tear out all the ads just to see what was left--not much often.

How do you know these aren't honest reactions?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:29 am

Punchy wrote:How do you know these aren't honest reactions?

One word: Newsarama.

This is the site that tried to say the new Knight Rider was one of the best shows on tv.

But I have plenty of reason to suspect those sorts of blurbs--although I've never said they were all dishonest.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:30 am

House of J wrote:One word: Newsarama.

This is the site that tried to say the new Knight Rider was one of the best shows on tv.

But I have plenty of reason to suspect those sorts of blurbs--although I've never said they were all dishonest.

I think TV reviews and comics reviews are very different, Vertigo aren't going to pay Newsarama for a positive review, they don't have the money for it.

Maybe Newsarama, like everyone else, just really liked the book?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 am

Punchy wrote:I think TV reviews and comics reviews are very different, Vertigo aren't going to pay Newsarama for a positive review, they don't have the money for it.

Maybe Newsarama, like everyone else, just really liked the book?

Well, I don't read the Newsarama stuff anymore, but I didn't notice any difference myself. NBC or whatever network that was on didn't pay them either, I am certain. It's more about the desire to please rather than critically view a thing--and I was just kidding earlier in the thread when I pegged you as a "pleaser", BTW.

It's a difficult balance for any reviewer sometimes.

In regards to the authenticity of each and every blurb--it'd be hard to say without having more context to go with the quotes, and I don't even have the issue at hand at this moment.

I think you're just trying to sidetrack the original question, though, which was why were they the first page-and-a-half of this issue?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand