Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 am

House of J wrote:Well, I don't read the Newsarama stuff anymore, but I didn't notice any difference myself. NBC or whatever network that was on didn't pay them either, I am certain. It's more about the desire to please rather than critically view a thing--and I was just kidding earlier in the thread when I pegged you as a "pleaser", BTW.

It's a difficult balance for any reviewer sometimes.

In regards to the authenticity of each and every blurb--it'd be hard to say without having more context to go with the quotes, and I don't even have the issue at hand at this moment.

I think you're just trying to sidetrack the original question, though, which was why were they the first page-and-a-half of this issue?


To do something different? I don't know, it doesn't really matter to me, my thought proces was, 'Hmm, that's different, now let's move on to the story' I didn't give it a second thought until I saw you guys critiquing it. I think Vertigo are just proud of all the good press and wanted to showcase all of it.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:55 am

Punchy wrote:To do something different? I don't know, it doesn't really matter to me, my thought proces was, 'Hmm, that's different, now let's move on to the story' I didn't give it a second thought until I saw you guys critiquing it. I think Vertigo are just proud of all the good press and wanted to showcase all of it.


If it doesn't matter to you, then please accept the fact that it doesn't matter to me that it doesn't matter to you.

We've already covered the ground as to why it bothered some of us yesterday.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:40 am

House of J wrote:If it doesn't matter to you, then please accept the fact that it doesn't matter to me that it doesn't matter to you.

We've already covered the ground as to why it bothered some of us yesterday.


None of those arguments were very convincing, just pedantic really.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 am

Punchy wrote:None of those arguments were very convincing, just pedantic really.

pedantic to you... actually fuck you, this kind of response from you is pedantic, really. :-D

And we all know we are never going to convince you of anything. However, the rest of the world needs guidance. :P

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 am

thefourthman wrote:pedantic to you... actually fuck you, this kind of response from you is pedantic, really.


What's more pedantic than criticising a book based on a Recap page with a bunch of reviews on it?

It's such a negligible part of the whole package, to focus on that is the height of pedantry.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

thefourthman wrote:And we all know we are never going to convince you of anything. However, the rest of the world needs guidance. :P


Nobody else even reads you two's posts! It's just me arguing, no guidance!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am

Punchy wrote:What's more pedantic than criticising a book based on a Recap page with a bunch of reviews on it?

It's such a negligible part of the whole package, to focus on that is the height of pedantry.

a. you focused on it. I didn't even fucking mention it in my review. you zero in on whatever is the easiest thing for you to argue and beat it to death. making any thread cease to be fun, no wonder you run off posters left and right.

b. you have the same argument for everything, I can't think of anything more unimaginative, narrow, or stodgy.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 am

thefourthman wrote:a. you focused on it. I didn't even fucking mention it in my review. you zero in on whatever is the easiest thing for you to argue and beat it to death. making any thread cease to be fun, no wonder you run off posters left and right.

b. you have the same argument for everything, I can't think of anything more unimaginative, narrow, or stodgy.


a. I've never ran any posters off, all of them come back eventually. And who says I was talking about your review?

b. The same argument? That you guys focus too much on unimportant outside details rather than actually review the fucking book? Yeah, because it makes sense.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:01 am

Punchy wrote:a. I've never ran any posters off, all of them come back eventually. And who says I was talking about your review?

b. The same argument? That you guys focus too much on unimportant outside details rather than actually review the fucking book? Yeah, because it makes sense.

a. because posters like me and the adminstrators of the site beg them to come back

b. yet you notice that you never take the whole review into account. This is one time where I just turned the page and to be honest it didn't really bug me until I read Old Man and HOJ's reviews and then I remembered that shit and realized that it definitely had an adverse effect on my view of the book. Also, outside influences are a reality as to one's OPINION about something. You have stated that you think some of us argue things that are unimportant to you. COOL WE FUCKING GET IT PUNCHY. YOU ARE THE WISEST BESTEST REVIEWER HERE SORRY WE OFFENDED YOU. Get the fuck over it already... two pages of you bickering back and forth cause I said hey yeah I agree with you Old Man. You don't see the pointlessness in that. You know you aren't gonna sway us and we know you aren't gonna be swayed so why continue on about it in your smug way? There are three of us who thought it was important, why are OUR opinions less valid than YOURS? :-D

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 am

thefourthman wrote:a. because posters like me and the adminstrators of the site beg them to come back

b. yet you notice that you never take the whole review into account. This is one time where I just turned the page and to be honest it didn't really bug me until I read Old Man and HOJ's reviews and then I remembered that shit and realized that it definitely had an adverse effect on my view of the book. Also, outside influences are a reality as to one's OPINION about something. You have stated that you think some of us argue things that are unimportant to you. COOL WE FUCKING GET IT PUNCHY. YOU ARE THE WISEST BESTEST REVIEWER HERE SORRY WE OFFENDED YOU. Get the fuck over it already... two pages of you bickering back and forth cause I said hey yeah I agree with you Old Man. You don't see the pointlessness in that. You know you aren't gonna sway us and we know you aren't gonna be swayed so why continue on about it in your smug way? There are three of us who thought it was important, why are OUR opinions less valid than YOURS? :-D


a. You begged them? Fuck them, if they quit, let them, if I bother them that much, they don't deserve to be here, I'm pretty harmless.

b. I just like discussing comics (or arguing) and it's bickering like this which keeps the thread interesting, we get more reviews for books that are controversial and cause heated threads. And plus, I really don't think it's relevant, and it's perpetuating a Simpsons Comic Book Guy stereotype of pedantic smart-assery that isn't becoming. I expect better from my fellow posters than such nitpicking. I never said anyone's opinion is lesser than mine, just I'd rather get their opinion on something actually relevant. And Smug? Me? Fuck off! I'm not the one getting on my high horse about a fucking recap page! (Well, technically I'm on my high horse about other people getting on theirs, but who got on a high horse first? Not me!)

I don't even know why I'm arguing about this with you, it's not you I'm annoyed with.
Last edited by Punchy on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 am

can't even note the smiley can you? :-D

I'm just pissy this morning, my first customer was a speculator piece of shit asking me questions about how to tell what comics were gonna be valuable. I wanted to scream "FUCK YOU I AM TRYING TO PUT THE BOOKS ON THE SHELF!!!!!"

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:11 am

thefourthman wrote:can't even note the smiley can you? :-D

I'm just pissy this morning, my first customer was a speculator piece of shit asking me questions about how to tell what comics were gonna be valuable. I wanted to scream "FUCK YOU I AM TRYING TO PUT THE BOOKS ON THE SHELF!!!!!"


You should have given him loads of Tyrese Gibson's Mayhem.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:12 am

Punchy wrote:You should have given him loads of Tyrese Gibson's Mayhem.

we ordered one copy. it sold a long time ago. :-D
and not the first week. :lol:

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34451
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 am

thefourthman wrote:we ordered one copy. it sold a long time ago. :-D
and not the first week. :lol:


Haunt #1 then, even though I liked it, I bet you've got a surplus.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26855
Likes: 182 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 am

Punchy wrote:Haunt #1 then, even though I liked it, I bet you've got a surplus.

yeah, but it was decent and I would rather that fuck not come back.
He bought an obama comic and the new issue of the Stand, because the other customer in the shop asked for it. I took his ten bucks and sent him packing.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 102 guests

Advertisement