Advertisement

Review Group Week 193 - AZRAEL #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:39 am

Dragavon wrote:See if you can return it.

fuck that noise, then some other poor sucker might buy it. even if it went from the shelf into a quarter bin, he is ruining someone's hobby.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 am

amlah6 wrote:Lies.

you are dutch, therefore your lies are the rest of the world's truthiness.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 am

thefifthman wrote:fuck that noise, then some other poor sucker might buy it. even if it went from the shelf into a quarter bin, he is ruining someone's hobby.

So you'd rather someone you know have to pay for this shit as opposed to some random stranger. Remind me never to be friends with you! :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:43 am

Dragavon wrote:So you'd rather someone you know have to pay for this shit as opposed to some random stranger. Remind me never to be friends with you! :lol:

a. it is Punchy, he deserves it.
b. what if it is some kids first comic? Punchy should just take one for the team.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 am

thefifthman wrote:a. it is Punchy, he deserves it.
b. what if it is some kids first comic? Punchy should just take one for the team.

1) Nobody deserves to have to waste money.
2) You run a comic book store. Has any kid bought Azrael? I would imagine kids would come in asking for Batman, Spider-Man or X-Men.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:49 am

thefifthman wrote:you are dutch, therefore your lies are the rest of the world's truthiness.

More lies.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am

Dragavon wrote:1) Nobody deserves to have to waste money.
2) You run a comic book store. Has any kid bought Azrael? I would imagine kids would come in asking for Batman, Spider-Man or X-Men.

1. He didn't care that GSWOML was overpriced. Karma is getting him back.
2. I just told some fucker not to buy it and he bought it anyhow, might as well be a kid. :p
Kids come in, ask if spidey was a comic before it was a movie and a cartoon and buy Bone. Sometimes you get weird kids that want weird stuff, that is why I keep all the mature themed stuff out of their reach.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am

thefifthman wrote:1. He didn't care that GSWOML was overpriced. Karma is getting him back.
2. I just told some fucker not to buy it and he bought it anyhow, might as well be a kid. :p
Kids come in, ask if spidey was a comic before it was a movie and a cartoon and buy Bone. Sometimes you get weird kids that want weird stuff, that is why I keep all the mature themed stuff out of their reach.

1) He's already wasted enough money on that crap. He should now waste more on this?
2) I've yet to see a kid at my local LCS.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Dragavon wrote:1) He's already wasted enough money on that crap. He should now waste more on this?
2) I've yet to see a kid at my local LCS.

1. exactly
2. is your lcs kid friendly? do they flyer the local schools for free comic day? do they drop off extra FCBD books with stamps or stickers telling them how to get there? Do they order kids books? Do they have a dedicated kids section? Is it in the front of the store, visible from outside?

Yesterday, 10% of my sales were to kids. today, so far, I am at 20% kids purchases. (I have a separate line for kids purchases).

Kids will come, you just need to make it a place that they know about and will want to come. There are too many stories like that shop in Georgia that give the lcs's a bad rap. It is a stereotype that you need to be proactive about as a retailer.

It is one of the many things that I actually campaign about with the publishers. I want pictures of the current MA Spidey issue at the end of the new Spidey Cartoon. I want comic shop locator ads added to cartoons and trailers. I want comics in toy stores. Those will get kids reading comics and will give me a bit more job security.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Postby Dragavon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:16 pm

thefifthman wrote:1. exactly
2. is your lcs kid friendly? do they flyer the local schools for free comic day? do they drop off extra FCBD books with stamps or stickers telling them how to get there? Do they order kids books? Do they have a dedicated kids section? Is it in the front of the store, visible from outside?

Yesterday, 10% of my sales were to kids. today, so far, I am at 20% kids purchases. (I have a separate line for kids purchases).

Kids will come, you just need to make it a place that they know about and will want to come. There are too many stories like that shop in Georgia that give the lcs's a bad rap. It is a stereotype that you need to be proactive about as a retailer.

It is one of the many things that I actually campaign about with the publishers. I want pictures of the current MA Spidey issue at the end of the new Spidey Cartoon. I want comic shop locator ads added to cartoons and trailers. I want comics in toy stores. Those will get kids reading comics and will give me a bit more job security.

1) So you agree with me that he should try to return it?
2) It's better than it used to be. Previously it was pretty dingy now he's gotten it a lot more cleaner and brighter.

But it used to the place to hang out and play Magic. Since a card/game store opened up, he doesn't have that advantage anymore. Though I don't know if it ever was an advantage. I used to work for him on Friday nights, and no kid ever bought comics while I worked there.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Dragavon wrote:1) So you agree with me that he should try to return it?
2) It's better than it used to be. Previously it was pretty dingy now he's gotten it a lot more cleaner and brighter.

But it used to the place to hang out and play Magic. Since a card/game store opened up, he doesn't have that advantage anymore. Though I don't know if it ever was an advantage. I used to work for him on Friday nights, and no kid ever bought comics while I worked there.

1. no, i don't even remember what this one is about anymore.
2. then he's making a start. seriously, print that post out and take it to him. Selling comics to kids is work, but it can happen.

We tried a magic night and a clix night once, it didn't really make any money, so we stopped.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Y'know, this wasn't that bad, just very very generic. I did like the flashforwards... but other than that, I've forgotten most of it already.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Punchy wrote:Y'know, this wasn't that bad, just very very generic. I did like the flashforwards... but other than that, I've forgotten most of it already.
:roll: figures :roll:

:roll:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:40 pm

thefifthman wrote::roll: figures :roll:

:roll:

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good, it's 5/10 if ever I've seen one.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 pm

The confirmed list for next week is up, good possible choices include:

Arkham Reborn #1 - Some Batman mini, but since we did a Bat-book this week...

Batman #692 - Tony Daniel's first issue as writer/artist.

Northlanders #21 - First issue of new storyline.

World's Finest #1 - Batman characters and Superman characters team up.

Dark Avengers: Ares #1 - Kieron Gillen and Ares!

Dark Reign: The List - Punisher - Romita Jnr!

Dark Reign: The List - Wolverine - Fantomex!

Wolverine Weapon X #6 - New story arc, Wolverine in an Insane Asylum

X-Necrosha One-Shot - Kicks off another crossover.

X-Factor #50 - Big milestone for the book.

Invincible Presents Atom Eve and Rex Splode #1 - Everyone loves the Invinciverse!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand