Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:42 pm

thefifthman wrote:Sie haben eine Demokratie, Geschäft damit Sie holländische Hure gewollt!

Sprechen Sie englisches motherfucker. Zum babelfish gehen sind müssend Schmerz in der Ass.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:43 pm

House of J wrote:So...(rubs hands together)...anybody read Ares yet?

Going to get my copy right now. 8)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:13 pm

This book read exactly like you would expect a video game nerd trying to write very tough and ballsy would--even though the book wasn't particularly humorous, it made me laugh the way some of the e-tough guys on this board do sometimes. :lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:25 pm

House of J wrote:I really like the sound of this Deadpool Team Up book... :?

Another vote for Deadpool team up.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:27 pm

House of J wrote:This book read exactly like you would expect a video game nerd trying to write very tough and ballsy would--even though the book wasn't particularly humorous, it made me laugh the way some of the e-tough guys on this board do sometimes. :lol:

Fuck you! Come down here and say that shit to my face!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm

McKegan wrote:Fuck you! Come down here and say that shit to my face!

:lol: I need to buy some Top Gun Aviator sunglasses first.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1

I've been going back and forth between excitement and dread for this comic. I'm a big fan of Kieron Gillen's Phonogram, but I hadn't read any of his Marvel work. I really like the character Ares and the original Oeming mini, but post-Ultron Initiative I don't think he's been used in ways that were all that interesting. I was super excited when Cary Nord was announced as the artist on the book, but for whatever reason that ended up not happening. Also there's that 'Dark' word in the title...

All bullshit aside, I ended up enjoying this. I liked Gillen's take on the character and while on the surface the Shades could have very much not worked, but I though it was executed well and I liked the book being from the perspective of one of the soldiers rather than Ares himself. My favorite thing about the book though was that even though it's a 'Dark Avengers' book, I didn't need to have been reading Dark Reign to follow the story.

I was really worried about the art in this after seeing the previews that were floating around. Those things were just all kinds of fugg. Luckily the printed version of the book looked better. Mostly I thought the art was good, but there are some panels in there that are horrid. I couldn't really tell how the inking duties were split up, but Stefano Gaudiano is a badass so I'm thinking maybe the portions of the book that I enjoyed probably had a lot to do with him. Jose Villarrubia always does great work and this was no exception. I'm not sure what Marvel did to frak up his work in those previews.

In a rare turn of events, this will actually be a Review Group pick where I go out and buy the next issue of the series.

Story: 8.5
Art: 6.5
Overall: 7.5
Last edited by ****** on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:35 pm

House of J wrote:This book read exactly like you would expect a video game nerd trying to write very tough and ballsy would--even though the book wasn't particularly humorous, it made me laugh the way some of the e-tough guys on this board do sometimes. :lol:

Fuck you motherfucker I liked it. :x

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Postby prozacman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Review group Dark Avengers: Ares #1

I enjoyed Ares more than I thought I would. Wasn’t expecting a boot camp story, and I like book camp stories. Though my problem with Boot camp stories is that I’m usually lukewarm on what happens after the training is finished. The training portions of the movies like Full Mettle Jacket, Soldier, and Stripes are infinitely better than the rest of their movies. Will this series hold be after the first issue is what I’m pondering.

The premise is that Norman Osborn wants to see what kind of squad Ares God of War can put together. The story is told from the perspective of one of the soldiers in that squad. At times Ares is just as selfish and out of touch as his brother Hercules is usually written, but with a sadistic slant. Though it is revealed that there is a method to his madness. Ares is trying to make these men warriors in mind, body, and spirit.

The problem comes at the end of the book. The reveal for what the real story will be. With out saying to much, it plays off of what happened between Ares and Fury in last months Dark Avengers. That being the case, I have a feeling that the end of the Ares mini will be spoiled by one of the regular books before issue 3 hits the stands. It might end up similar to the Hood Mini Series. It was hard to feel the impact of the Hood mini when Dormamu was already exercised from him in New Avengers before issue 3 of the mini came out. Hell, the ending of this issue of Ares probably spoils some thing to happen in Secret Warriors (not sure since I don‘t get that book).

Ares #1 is a good start, but not sure if the next issues will be as good. I’ll probably get #2 at least.

Art 7.5
Story 7.5
Overall 7.5

(note: I'll probably be a part timer on the review group since I don't have a job at the moment. If a book isn't already on my list to buy, I'll probably have to pass for the moment.)
Last edited by prozacman on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:41 pm

amlah6 wrote:Fuck you motherfucker I liked it. :x

Let's kick his e-ass.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm

McKegan wrote:Let's kick his e-ass.

I'm going to hack his shit, find out where he lives and kick his ass for reals.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:46 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm going to hack his shit, find out where he lives and kick his ass for reals.

Hardcore.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm

McKegan wrote:Hardcore.

This is...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 pm

amlah6 wrote:Fuck you motherfucker I liked it. :x

Ooooh, a tough guy, eh?

It's a good thing McKegan is a pussy protector.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:59 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm going to hack his shit, find out where he lives and kick his ass for reals.

:lol: Amlah6, Wad of Gwar, eh?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand