Advertisement

Vicki's Next PC

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Liked in: 0 post

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Speaking of troubled installs. Did you go Intel and use the stock HSF? Those things are a bear. Definitely a mobo breaker if I've ever seen one.

Advertisement

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:27 pm

toolverine wrote:Well, certainly the sign of not overpaying for under performance.

QFT. I scoff at Dell.

I just built a new system last week. If it was a woman and I wasn't married, I would totally bang it.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:28 pm

milton73 wrote:QFT. I scoff at Dell.

I just built a new system last week. If it was a woman and I wasn't married, I would totally bang it.

Ha, I knew there was a reason I like having you around. I only wish there was a way to build laptops...

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 pm

toolverine wrote:Speaking of troubled installs. Did you go Intel and use the stock HSF? Those things are a bear. Definitely a mobo breaker if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, we went with the stock. I could only get 2 posts locked, Vicki managed to get three and was happy with that. it sits tightly enough, and she's not overclocking her CPU at all, so it should work. Her case also has 2 other fans built in, so heat really shouldn't be an issue for a while.

Although when we wer going through the 9.9 code, we talked about repacling the stock with a better model.

After going through the process of doing a...well, watching a self-build, I can't ever see buying off the shelf again. Even if you try to go through some website builder, you're likely to run across a "name brand or similar" component. That, and some seriously negative reviews, kept us off Cyberpower. We paid maybe a bit more than we would have at Cyberpower, but we know exactly what each component is.

And putting it together was easy. If you can build an advanced Lego Kit...or a MG Gundam model...you can build a PC.

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:45 pm

toolverine wrote:Speaking of troubled installs. Did you go Intel and use the stock HSF? Those things are a bear. Definitely a mobo breaker if I've ever seen one.

I had a few nervous moments when I installed my CPU. I thought those fan clips would break the MB into little pieces. Bad engineering.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm

According to some forums, the Pentium III was about as awful. Personally, I don't like the fact that the board got bend in the install. Next time, I'm going with a cooler that doesn't come in the box.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum