Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Punchy wrote:This was better than a 6.75! WTF guys?

That's a passable grade. We should probably discount the statistical outlier scores, but what are you gonna do?

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:26 pm

McKegan wrote:That's a passable grade. We should probably discount the statistical outlier scores, but what are you gonna do?

Try and get people to not be so unnecessarily harsh?

The thing is, it's always the same 3 posters who bring the average scores down, Old Man, Guitarsmashley and House of J almost always grade lower than everyone else, and it's misleading, and annoying that they are so persistently negative.

I mean, I have no problem with them having their opinions, but I think sometimes they do it just for effect, to be different from the herd, and to not like a mainstream book.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Punchy wrote:The thing is, it's always the same 3 posters who bring the average scores down, Old Man, Guitarsmashley and House of J almost always grade lower than everyone else, and it's misleading, and annoying that they are so persistently negative.

I mean, I have no problem with them having their opinions, but I think sometimes they do it just for effect, to be different from the herd, and to not like a mainstream book.

Annoying? Me?

My grades are my opinion. In general:

10 -- if you only read 10 books a month, this should be one of them

9 -- a book I'd recommend that everybody read

8 -- a book I look forward to reading every month

7 -- it's good enough, and I enjoy it, but if cash gets short, it may get dropped.

6 -- it's almost good enough; if I hear enough good comments about it, I may read it again; perhaps a creator change would entice me

5 -- sorry, no reason to buy this one again, it's pedestrian, and with the number of books that come out every week, your money can be better spent elsewhere

4,3,2,1 -- if a book is down here, the creators need to really work on their craft, or need to consider a career change, or need to be shot for stealing my money

0 -- I'm gonna go back in time and kill your momma before she can give birth to you

If my grade brings down the average, so be it.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

I can respect that Old man, really sensible review system.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am

Punchy wrote:Try and get people to not be so unnecessarily harsh?

The thing is, it's always the same 3 posters who bring the average scores down, Old Man, Guitarsmashley and House of J almost always grade lower than everyone else, and it's misleading, and annoying that they are so persistently negative.

You're stupid sometimes. Obviously if I were enjoying the "mainstream" books you're referring to, I'd be BUYING more of them. I don't prejudge ANY book. I do buy a number of Marvel & DC books each month, but these are almost never chosen for reviewing. When a book I enjoy is chosen, I give it a good review.

And shut the fuck up about people's reviews you have personal issues with--it's fucking childish.

And it ain't my fault "the herd" picks crap mostly.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 am

House of J wrote:You're stupid sometimes. Obviously if I were enjoying the "mainstream" books you're referring to, I'd be BUYING more of them. I don't prejudge ANY book. I do buy a number of Marvel & DC books each month, but these are almost never chosen for reviewing. When a book I enjoy is chosen, I give it a good review.

And shut the fuck up about people's reviews you have personal issues with--it's fucking childish.

No it's not, the average is all screwed up and it's not representing the overall opinion of the group.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:10 am

Punchy wrote:No it's not, the average is all screwed up and it's not representing the overall opinion of the group.

Utter bullshit.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 am

House of J wrote:Utter bullshit.

No need to swear, don't be childish!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:14 am

Punchy wrote:No need to swear, don't be childish!

Go climb your thumb, junior. You pull this shit every week we don't like one of your favorite writers.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 am

House of J wrote:Go climb your thumb, junior. You pull this shit every week we don't like one of your favorite writers.

If I'm 'junior', then surely it's OK for me to be childish?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 am

Punchy wrote:If I'm 'junior', then surely it's OK for me to be childish?

I told you earlier in the thread, it's ok for you to like childish books like Dark Avengers: Ares #1--I have no problem with that. Extend those of us who didn't like it the same basic respect. We aren't not liking it to piss you off--that is an ancillary benefit.

For someone who likes to bitch at other posters for whining & moaning, you are doing too much of it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:26 am

House of J wrote:I told you earlier in the thread, it's ok for you to like childish books like Dark Avengers: Ares #1--I have no problem with that. Extend those of us who didn't like it the same basic respect. We aren't not liking it to piss you off--that is an ancillary benefit.

For someone who likes to bitch at other posters for whining & moaning, you are doing too much of it.

This book wasn't childish, and you're implying you have problem with people liking it by the very fact that you call it childish, you are saying they are like children, that's insulting.

And I'm not really whining, just venting, it just annoys me how when a book is generally recieved positively, a minority can drag it down and create a false average.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:27 am

Punchy wrote:This book wasn't childish, and you're implying you have problem with people liking it by the very fact that you call it childish, you are saying they are like children, that's insulting.

And I'm not really whining, just venting, it just annoys me how when a book is generally recieved positively, a minority can drag it down and create a false average.

It's the average, nothing false about it.

And yes, you are whining, and yes, I am insulting you for it.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:28 am

House of J wrote:It's the average, nothing false about it.

It's false!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:33 am

Punchy wrote:It's false!

I'm going to be honest here--no facetiousness:

I get sick of having to buy and review books I don't enjoy in the slightest. We have been on a run of 4 or 5 book in a row (I think) that I wouldn't have pulled from a quarter bin if I needed something to read on the can. But I've tried not to complain, because people's picks are people's picks. That doesn't mean I can give them a falsely positive review, though.

At least I don't just skip the books I don't like, like say...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand