Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 am

House of J wrote:I'm going to be honest here--no facetiousness:

I get sick of having to buy and review books I don't enjoy in the slightest. We have been on a run of 4 or 5 book in a row (I think) that I wouldn't have pulled from a quarter bin if I needed something to read on the can. But I've tried not to complain, because people's picks are people's picks. That doesn't mean I can give them a falsely positive review, though.

At least I don't just skip the books I don't like, like say...

I'm going to review Deadpool Team-Up.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 am

Punchy wrote:I'm going to review Deadpool Team-Up.

But if you've already decided you don't like it, as that implies, aren't you doing the thing you've mistakenly accused several of us of--which is pre-judging a book?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am

House of J wrote:But if you've already decided you don't like it, as that implies, aren't you doing the thing you've mistakenly accused several of us of--which is pre-judging a book?

I dunno, I haven't read it yet, what if I like it? I've said I like Fred Van Lente's Hercules, which this issue features, and I can take Deadpool in small doses, so I might think it's OK.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:50 am

Punchy wrote:I dunno, I haven't read it yet, what if I like it? I've said I like Fred Van Lente's Hercules, which this issue features, and I can take Deadpool in small doses, so I might think it's OK.

I am also trying to keep an open mind about it. I like a lot of FVL's stuff, but some of it not quite enough to buy regularly. I've enjoyed minis he's done, but I dropped Herc after a bit.

Believe me, I enjoy writing positive reviews too--which is why many of my reviews of books I didn't like are very, very brief.

I will say, I wish more group members were willing to take a chance on something rather than just picking something already on their pull list. If it were me, I'd have picked Deathlok #1 this week. What would you have chosen?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 am

House of J wrote:I am also trying to keep an open mind about it. I like a lot of FVL's stuff, but some of it not quite enough to buy regularly. I've enjoyed minis he's done, but I dropped Herc after a bit.

Believe me, I enjoy writing positive reviews too--which is why many of my reviews of books I didn't like are very, very brief.

I will say, I wish more group members were willing to take a chance on something rather than just picking something already on their pull list. If it were me, I'd have picked Deathlok #1 this week. What would you have chosen?

After reading the Review PDF, definitely Stumptown, it was very good, but before, probably Cornell's Black Widow mini, or maybe Deathlok too.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:56 am

House of J wrote:I am also trying to keep an open mind about it. I like a lot of FVL's stuff, but some of it not quite enough to buy regularly. I've enjoyed minis he's done, but I dropped Herc after a bit.

fear not J, i haven't seen the list for next week but i will pick something not so mainstream

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:01 am

Chubbles wrote:fear not J, i haven't seen the list for next week but i will pick something not so mainstream

There's the Batman/Doc Savage Special coming out, that could be good.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 am

Punchy wrote:After reading the Review PDF, definitely Stumptown, it was very good, but before, probably Cornell's Black Widow mini, or maybe Deathlok too.

I'm not sure what Stumptown is, but I'll have to take a look. The Black Widow book has some great art and has been getting surprisingly good early reviews (even the reviews seem surprised). Not that Cornell isn't good writer, I think there is an assumption (by me as well) that the book was all about the upcoming IM2 movie.

I loved Rich Buckler's Deathlok so I may have to give that a try.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 am

Chubbles wrote:fear not J, i haven't seen the list for next week but i will pick something not so mainstream

:-D

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:08 am

House of J wrote:I'm not sure what Stumptown is, but I'll have to take a look. The Black Widow book has some great art and has been getting surprisingly good early reviews (even the reviews seem surprised). Not that Cornell isn't good writer, I think there is an assumption (by me as well) that the book was all about the upcoming IM2 movie.

I loved Rich Buckler's Deathlok so I may have to give that a try.

Stumptown is Greg Rucka's new Oni book, it's about a Private Detective in Portland.

Here's my review and also a preview of the first 5 pages: http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/5124/228/

I think Black Widow is like a history of the character, and probably is only coming out because of the movie, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good book.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 am

Punchy wrote:Stumptown is Greg Rucka's new Oni book, it's about a Private Detective in Portland.

Here's my review and also a preview of the first 5 pages: http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/5124/228/

I think Black Widow is like a history of the character, and probably is only coming out because of the movie, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good book.

Oh yeah, I forgot the title--I hope to find a copy of Stumptown.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 am

I've read the first issue of Stumptown too, HoJ. You should check it out, it's good.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 am

amlah6 wrote:I've read the first issue of Stumptown too, HoJ. You should check it out, it's good.

Yeah, I meant to after reading the solicitation a while back, the title didn't stick with me for some reason.

Good thing you guys reminded me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 90 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:51 am

Shit, I forgot about this, I will get to it tonight.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:22 am

thefifthman wrote:Shit, I forgot about this, I will get to it tonight.

Lies! (probably)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand