Advertisement

Review Group Week 195 - DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #899

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 am

Can I join this group?

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 am

Jubilee wrote:Can I join this group?

read the op.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 am

only if you promise to never be like punchy. :lol:

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 am

I'm sorry, but we've reached the maximum allowed number of British teens allowed at this time, please try again later.

Silly me, I almost forgot. Dum Dum fell off the members list last week, your re-entry into the group will be approved upon receipt of one Deadpool Team-Up #899 review.

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 am

doombug wrote:only if you promise to never be like punchy. :lol:

I thought that was Punchy. :?

Darn these British teens! :x

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:48 am

amlah6 wrote:I thought that was Punchy. :?

Darn these British teens! :x

no, he's in Punchy. There's a difference. :wink:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 am

I'll submit a review later.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:53 am

Jubilee wrote:I'll submit a review later.

My bad, obvioiusly Punchy is in him. :-D

Welcome to the group, Twig! :D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:06 pm

thefifthman wrote:you see I did Ares, finally? I still have List: Avengers and TT on my pile, that is all I am short, correct?

Got it. I have you down for a 4.83 for TT, but nothing for List.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:13 pm

amlah6 wrote:Got it. I have you down for a 4.83 for TT, but nothing for List.

I never actually reviewed TT, just scored it.

That is when I went through my latest weirdo depressed thingie. I sort of stopped writing altogether and then I went on my trip and instead of feeling refreshed when I came back, I felt like my life was spinning out of control. I am back to just dealing with it now.

I had also just read a whole bunch of awesome on the trip and was dreading getting back to less than awesome for the group and weekly.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:14 pm

i'll try to do the List tonite. I may do Deadpool later this afternoon.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Deadpool #899

As much as I bitch about the saturation of the market with Deadpool, I actually like the character. Most of my complaints have to do with the harm it does the industry (big picture) and the problems it will present the property (little picture).

The world and I need another Deadpool title like we need another hole in our head. However, this one is better than Merc With a Mouth and makes me want to catch up on the core book which I fell woefully behind on as the titles he appeared in seemingly multiplied geometrically overnight.

There were bits of this comic that I didn't like. There are some dialogue problems through out the book. Some of it is probably supposed to be Wade being crazy, but it also happens with Herc. Does anyone else feel that FVL doesn't spend as much time on his Marvel books as he does on others? I mean Comic Book Comics is pitch perfect, this one is a little well, convoluted is par for the course with a Deadpool comic, but inconsistency will always bug me and there are hiccups here and there with this one.

There are also problems with Wade's inner narration. I never got the sense that the two different colored boxes were both separate voices from his spoken words before, but that may be Way writing the character wrong for all I know. After I figured it out, I enjoyed the idea and its manifestation in the awakening split of Wade's mind is interesting.

The idea is fun. The incredibly anachronistic demi-god and the schizophrenic fourth wall aware mercenary versus Arcade and Nightmare. (Admittedly I am not as familiar with the villains as I probably should be).

I also like the art. I think the colorist should be shot in the head because the lines and the color do not mesh. It is sort of poor man's Perkins. It is consistent and conveys the script well. Stylistically it is a little off, Herc should only look like he is in Captain America or Daredevil if he is in those books.

It's not a perfect book by any means, but for those who want a fun comic, this gets the job done.

Story 6
Art 5
Overall 6.5

[spoiler]The book gets a bonus point for having the main character give himself a labotomy.[/spoiler]
Last edited by thefourthman on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Deadpool #899.

I've let my disliking for the character be known by now, and this issue does nothing to change my opinion.

It worked well for what it is, I normally don't like these stand alone stories, but I understand why this needs to be one. Hercules is a pretty fun character, and I like Arcade.

Unfortunately, Arcade is not used as well as I like here, and I don't think Nightmare would work with him. Deadpool continually makes jokes I don't like, and the plot is wrapped up a little to quick. Cute last page though.

Art is serviceable, nothing special.

4/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 pm

so no one else has read it yet or wants to argue with Punchy and Mini-me Punchy?

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Deadpool Team-Up #899

Not even bothering with credits for this issue. When there's a comic I like, I'll go whole hog on the review. Did you see the size of my Ares review? This was not a comic I liked.
FVL does what he can but I'm just not feeling it. No-one has got me to like Deadpool since Joe Kelly and I don't think anyone else will. I liked the bit about Deadpool fighting his inner monologue, it gets an extra point for that.
Bad art, dirty, messy, bad art.

Story - 4
Art - 3
Overall - 3, and I'm being generous.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand