Advertisement

Review Group Week 197 - PUNISHER #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Punchy wrote:What about Uncanny?

I only got the Collosus arc, and it was only alright. I like The X-Club, it's a very cool idea from the Fraction I like, but I just can't be arsed with it.

I'll stick with New Mutants and X-Factor.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm

King Impulse wrote:I only got the Collosus arc, and it was only alright. I like The X-Club, it's a very cool idea from the Fraction I like, but I just can't be arsed with it.

But you liked those Thor one-shots right? They were metal as fuck.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Punchy wrote:But you liked those Thor one-shots right? They were metal as fuck.

I got one and it was okay. Secret Invasion: Thor was alright as well.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:57 pm

King Impulse wrote:I got one and it was okay. Secret Invasion: Thor was alright as well.

That was the only SI mini I read that wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't go much past calling it alright.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Just picked up my copy of Frankencastle. Haven't read it yet, but just based on the flip through the art is getting a 10.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm

King Impulse wrote:I only got the Collosus arc, and it was only alright. I like The X-Club, it's a very cool idea from the Fraction I like, but I just can't be arsed with it.

Wait, you're saying that that Zeb Well's crappy New Mutants is better than Fraction's Uncanny? That's absurd. I can appreciate that you might not like Fraction's work but then to read shit like that? :smt011

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just picked up my copy of Frankencastle. Haven't read it yet, but just based on the flip through the art is getting a 10.

Tony Moore is all kinds of awesome.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the List special. Hopefully Hastings gets it in. If not, I'll just have to try and find it in Tucson when I go down next week.

I miss having a great Punisher title to read. Aaron's debut was disappointing. It felt exactly like Ennis' MK run, except without any funny bits. From the first issue alone I don't know why it's got the Max label.

I will say that I dig Dillon's take on the Kingpin.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:53 pm

This was retarded

I liked it a lot

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:35 pm

I'll review later but I did read it and have to say this was so funny I nearly fell over laughing. I loved this in the same way I love the 60's Batman show or Big Trouble in Little China. It's so lame it's quality fun!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Punisher #11
I don't like The Punisher. I did like this but it was not the issue itself that made me want to get the next issue, it was the last page... the next issue cover preview. Seeing Frank with all the monsters behind him is pure genius and so full of win how could I not want to read that. This issue was mostly set-up and pretty ridiculous but fun as hell. My only problem is that I am not sure who some of the monsters were, it felt like I should have known who they are but I don't... it didn't ruin the story for me but I kept thinking to myself 'should I know who this is?' The art is fantastic, Tony Moore is awesome. Between the outrageous story concept and Tony Moore's pencils I am pretty sure I will grab the next issue. I was not too stoked to review another Punisher book especially one written by the same guy who wrote the last one we reviewed but I did like this one much more than the last... good pick.

STORY - 8

ART - 10

OVERALL - 8.9

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Punisher #11
I don't like The Punisher. I did like this but it was not the issue itself that made me want to get the next issue, it was the last page... the next issue cover preview. Seeing Frank with all the monsters behind him is pure genius and so full of win how could I not want to read that. This issue was mostly set-up and pretty ridiculous but fun as hell. My only problem is that I am not sure who some of the monsters were, it felt like I should have known who they are but I don't... it didn't ruin the story for me but I kept thinking to myself 'should I know who this is?' The art is fantastic, Tony Moore is awesome. Between the outrageous story concept and Tony Moore's pencils I am pretty sure I will grab the next issue. I was not too stoked to review another Punisher book especially one written by the same guy who wrote the last one we reviewed but I did like this one much more than the last... good pick.

STORY - 8

ART - 10

OVERALL - 8.9

Glad I picked a winner.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:57 am

This was a lot of fun, the art was brilliant, and it's just a goofy, clever idea, it's certainly very different from what you'd expect in a Punisher story, and that's a good thing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:33 pm

I just finished this, My god what a horribly amazing comic it is. I mean you have perhaps one of the worst ideas ever for marvel to attempt to dig itself out of, unless they just let Punisher not be a part of the marvel universe, if that is the idea here then great but otherwise, the only way to come back from this story is a one word answer, Magic. As awful as the idea is the issue itself is pretty good and filled with enough cool moments or little jabs to make it enjoyable. Where the issue really shines is the art. Tony Moore is one of my favorite artists out there and anything he draws is instantly at least a 7. If it weren't for tony this story wouldn't hold water and I don't even think he's drawing the entire arc since the issue just solicited didn't have his name on it. Ultimately I think it's Moore that carries this title and makes the issues even stomachable since he's well...incredible. My only complaint on Moore is Morbeus. He looks like an old jewish doctor unsure of what he's doing but beyond that he's perfect. So now the score, like I said, based on art alone the issue would get at least a 7. So its final score is an 8.

And just to fuck with Punchy, Best line;Your dog's been eatin crap.Stinks.

- Les Paul

HNutz
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey Amlah as far as catching up on this book. [spoiler] Daken beheaded Frank.[/spoiler] in The List, that was the last page, then there is this, should be pretty easy to jump on from that.

Yeah, that sounds pretty horrible.

Wonder how long it'll take for this to get retconned? Unless, of course, by some weird frickin' reason.... people actually LIKE this.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand