Advertisement

Review Group Week 195 - DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #899

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I wasn't on yesterday, so my review...

Deadpool Team-Up #899

I don't really know if I like Deadpool too much because I don't have much experience with him. I know he's a funny guy, but that X-Men Origins Deadpool was absolutely freakin' terrible. Anyways, this issue was fun. I like the dual thoughts/narration. I felt like too many jokes were attempted, and they were generally hit or miss. I liked the Herc moment where he busted through the wall. The part where his kids came at him reminded me too much of the Fat Cobra. The story overall was simple and such, and could've been more enjoyable. I liked the last page though.

The art was really meh for me. I thought it was ok at first, and it really had its moments; otherwise it was meh. I didn't particularly like it in the end, but what can i do.

Story- 6
Art- 5
Overall- 5.5

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:10 am

I am curious how the reviews for Locke and Key will be. This issue was fairly inaccessible.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:55 am

Deadpool was one of the first comics I read when I was getting hooked on comics way back in the early nineties. I picked up Spider-Man 2099 and Deadpool: The Circle Chase. I also gorged on X-Men comics but I still think those two titles were my first attempts to read comics after reading GIJoe and Transformers (and other random comics-- I remember reading the Spidey anti-drug story back then as well).

Since he's one of those "first characters," he holds a special place in my collection and I feel obligated to get nearly everything Deadpool related when it shows up. Back in the nineties, that was as easy as getting a random Wolverine issue or two.

Nowadays, it's frickin' insane.

There is absolutely no way Deadpool deserves three titles no matter how much people like Ryan Reynolds. I mean, he didn't even wear a DP-like costume! Why is there suddenly hype here? Is this a big joke on Marvel's part that will eventually cost them millions?

I mean, let's look at this logically. Deadpool couldn't even hold down his buddy book with Cable a couple years ago (and this was after his own title had been ended, renamed, and then ended again). Wade Wilson is one of my favorite characters but there is no way people like him enough to buy three titles. It just boggles my mind and I'm seeing an eventual crash for the character that will bury him forever with the likes of chromium covers and shoulderpads.

And for a lot of comic fans, they really can't wait. Me, I'd just settle for one good title. So is Deadpool Team Up that title?

Eh.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of Deadpool Team Up strikes me as awesome. If Deadpool was an easy character to write or a good writer with a singular vision for the character took over the entire line of Deadpool titles (the idea that we have a "line of Deadpool titles" is still hard to believe) then this idea could sing. As it stands, Deadpool is NOT an easy character to write. He just looks easy. He's surprisingly complex but the only title that seems to get that even slightly is Daniel Way's Deadpool book (and even there, DP seems more simplified and forced than he should). Van Lente does an admirable job but there's still a hollow ring to a lot of this.

The saving grace of the book is that it's really a Hercules book disguised as a Deadpool book. Van Lente DOES get Herc and the team up is fun to watch. This book actually shows some fallout from Hercules' Secret Invasion arc with the God Squad. Deadpool seems sort of tacked on just to make it work and to provide a bit more comedy relief (it did make me smile a few times. That's almost like success!).

The art wasn't anything you're gonna write home about. It's passable, looks good on some of the action shots, and is suitably gory. We just don't have that many over-the-top action artists willing to work on books that would really benefit from that sort of thing. Still, the trade off is that this book reads well and is easy to follow from panel to panel. Over-the-top action artists usually have the most trouble with that.

In short, I'm waiting for Deadpool to fall back into obscurity so that he can barely support one book that is actually good instead of riding the popularity gravy train and getting three books that just pass into mediocrity.

Deadpool Team-Up #899, you get a 6. I might be back next month but it's probably because of misplaced nostalgia.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 am

Now that I think about it, I bet I've talked about DP being one of my first comics every time a Deadpool issue comes up in the review group. I wonder if my story is about the same each time or if it's like a big game of telephone where it gets bigger and odder each time around.

When we review Deadpool/Spider-Man in a few weeks (I'm guessing), I'll have to up my story with some sharks with lasers on their heads or something.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 am

thefourthman wrote:I am curious how the reviews for Locke and Key will be. This issue was fairly inaccessible.

It's awesomeness will prevail, no doubt.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Now that I think about it, I bet I've talked about DP being one of my first comics every time a Deadpool issue comes up in the review group. I wonder if my story is about the same each time or if it's like a big game of telephone where it gets bigger and odder each time around.

When we review Deadpool/Spider-Man in a few weeks (I'm guessing), I'll have to up my story with some sharks with lasers on their heads or something.

The Deadpool issue of ASM is this week, we're not reviewing it.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Punchy wrote:The Deadpool issue of ASM is this week, we're not reviewing it.

Things don't actually have to happen when I guess on them. ;)

I'll save the sharks story for Deadpool & Nova #1, then.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:54 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Things don't actually have to happen when I guess on them. ;)

I'll save the sharks story for Deadpool & Nova #1, then.

Don't say it! They'll actually do it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 522 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 am

Ok, finally got around to reading this. Can't always review on time because I don't get my comics weekly, but I want to stay on the list so I can force you all to read something I like when it's my turn, so here goes:

Deadpool Team-Up #899

I liked this book. It featured two heroes I like: Deadpool and Hercules. It featured two villains I like who don't appear very often: Nightmare and Arcade. The characters were written well, or at least non-offensively. It was funny. It referenced 2 Girls 1 Cup. It was better than Merc With a Mouth, which makes up for the fact that there are too many Deadpool ongoings. It even makes reference to the fact that there are too many Deadpool ongoings, which is a point in its favor. The story was a goof, but it was fun and acceptable. I'll give the story a 7.

The art was serviceable. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Just average. At least, however, it was obvious comic book art, and not some wanna-be cinematic movie bullshit. So points for that. I give the art a 6.

So what we would have here is a solid comic, 6.5. However, they had to go and fuck this up. How? By putting liberal fucking propaganda in my fucking comic book. I don't give a shit if you think Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are assholes. A joke comic book is not the place to preach that shit to me. This is why liberals annoy me as much as they do. They gotta preach EVERYWHERE. They are as bad as bible-thumping Jesus-freaks who have to fit Jesus into every conversation. Worse, IMO, because they should be intelligent, so there is no excuse for their behavior. Keep your fucking liberal propaganda out of my entertainment. I don't want to hear it, and I'm offended I paid money to hear it. It ruined an otherwise fine book. Minus 4 points for that shit, one for every dollar I paid to hear some mediocre writer tell me how stupid conservatives are.

Score: 2.5

(And please, I'm sure you can find other threads to argue politics with me. That's not what I want here, and you won't be missing out on waiting to argue with me in another thread tomorrow. I just would like to be able to enjoy something I paid money for without having someone's beliefs shoved down my throat.)
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:18 am

Respectfully Jude putting that down so many points for that alone is beyond idiotic.

But hey whatever, lets drag the score of the book down lower because of one fucking line. :roll:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 am

doombug wrote:Respectfully Jude putting that down so many points for that alone is beyond idiotic.

But hey whatever, lets drag the score of the book down lower because of one fucking line. :roll:

That's exactly how I felt when I read it. I was having a good time, enjoying the book, laughing at the antics of Deadpool and Herc, who work well together, and just generally liking the book. Then I read that line and had to get pissed off, very annoyed that I paid money for something that I would absolutely not have supported if I had known about it. It ruined my reading experience, and as a result, ruins my score. It's no offense - I like Deadpool.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:26 am

:lol:

That was the only thing in that book that was actually funny.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 am

amlah6 wrote::lol:

That was the only thing in that book that was actually funny.

If it had said Hannity and Olberman, or political talk show pundits, it would have been. What annoyed me was that I felt I was being preached to, or worse, that a smug political statement was being made in my funny book, like "oh, everyone will think this is great, because everyone smart enough to read this book must obviously be a raging liberal". Annoying.
Last edited by S.F. Jude Terror on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 am

Jude Terror wrote:That's exactly how I felt when I read it. I was having a good time, enjoying the book, laughing at the antics of Deadpool and Herc, who work well together, and just generally liking the book. Then I read that line and had to get pissed off, very annoyed that I paid money for something that I would absolutely not have supported if I had known about it. It ruined my reading experience, and as a result, ruins my score. It's no offense - I like Deadpool.

But once again....it's one f'ing line. That's a bit stupid that something so minor would have completely destroyed your reading experience. Especially knowing Fred as a writer and talking to him as much as I have he just wrote a joke. That's all that is, it's not his personal beliefs and I doubt they are wade's either as wade doesn't really give two shits about politics.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 am

doombug wrote:But once again....it's one f'ing line. That's a bit stupid that something so minor would have completely destroyed your reading experience. Especially knowing Fred as a writer and talking to him as much as I have he just wrote a joke. That's all that is, it's not his personal beliefs and I doubt they are wade's either as wade doesn't really give two shits about politics.

Then why would you write it if it doesn't fit the character? Like I said, I like Deadpool. I just don't want that shit in my comics. And its worse, IMO, if he did it subconsciously. It is the subconscious belief that obviously liberals = smart conservatives = stupid that permeates pop culture and makes me annoyed. Guess what? Liberals and conservatives are both stupid. I'm tired of hearing about how stupid conservatives are. I can't think of anything would have made me hate a book more.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand