Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:47 pm

House of J wrote:I know it's the nature of the review group or whatever, but I sort of get where Chris is coming from too. Sometimes it seems like a lot of opportunities to review something really interesting are passed over for personal favorites with little else to make them noteworthy.

BUT, thanks to Amlah6 we can review something possibly interesting (in a bad way) AND one of his personal favorites, I am sure.

Not really one of my favorites per se (hell, I barely read any superhero books at this point), but I am a bit of a process geek and the process of what went into the creation of this along with the finished product I felt made it a rather obvious selection for a Review Group to cover.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Chris wrote:I can't, it's in my nature. :smt102 :twisted:

You wouldn't be allowed to post on internet comic book forums if it wasn't. :P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 178 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:You wouldn't be allowed to post on internet comic book forums if it wasn't. :P

That's what I'm sayin'! :lol:

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:54 pm

While I don't have time to do my review right now, I did just finish reading this and and succeeds at what it's trying to accomplish... which is of course a total 90's wankfest. Obviously mileage will vary. :wink:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 155 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Who are you (or anyone else, this is a general you) to decide what is 'really interesting'? To some people, Image United is an interesting choice, I've mentioned how this is such an art-driven book, compared to the regular stuff. We all have different views on what constitutes a good pick, and that's what makes the RG a good thing. It would get dull if you were just reviewing things you liked every week. It's good to expose yourself to something you would not have bought have otherwise, and maybe surprise yourself. Or maybe you'll hate it as much as you thought you would, and then it's fun to vent.

There's nothing stopping anyone from reviewing Powers #1 for the front page of the site and of course, you could just not review Image United.

I only skimmed that, but you seem to be responding to an amalgamation of me & Chris and using a lot of words to say very little once again.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm

amlah6 wrote:Not really one of my favorites per se (hell, I barely read any superhero books at this point), but I am a bit of a process geek and the process of what went into the creation of this along with the finished product I felt made it a rather obvious selection for a Review Group to cover.

OH YEAH, thanks for reminding me, what is a jam book and what other examples are there? What is the first jam book?

(I was just razzing you about this being a favorite of yours :P )

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:29 pm

House of J wrote:OH YEAH, thanks for reminding me, what is a jam book and what other examples are there? What is the first jam book?

(I was just razzing you about this being a favorite of yours :P )

Multiple artists working on the same comic doing only their characters. Off the top of my head, the only one I remember reading is that Madman/Jam crossover that I mentioned earlier (The Jam is a character created by Bernie Mireault). Eric Stephenson has a short afterward in this issue where he references and old Fantastic Four issue where Kirby drew the FF and Wally Wood drew Daredevil being an influence on Eric Larsen coming up with the idea for Image United and an earlier Savage Dragon crossover in the 90's with some character I've never heard of.

(And I knew you were razzing me, I just liked having a excuse to use 'per se' in a post.)
Last edited by ****** on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:31 pm

amlah6 wrote:Multiple artists working on the same comic doing only their characters. Off the top of my head, the only one I remember reading is that Madman/Jam crossover that I mentioned earlier (The Jam is a character). Eric Stephenson has a short afterward in this issue where he references and old Fantastic Four issue where Kirby drew the FF and Wally Wood drew Daredevil being an influence on Eric Larsen coming up with the idead for Image United and an earlier Savage Dragon crossover in the 90's with some character I've never heard of.

(And I knew you were razzing me, I just liked having a excuse to use 'per se' in a post.)

Whose character is the shark in tight pants?

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:36 pm

House of J wrote:Whose character is the shark in tight pants?

Larsen. Mako is a Savage Dragon villian. You can pretty much tell Larsen's stuff apart from everyone else because the lines on his characters are a bit thicker than the rest.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I am looking forward to this!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:29 pm

I read this during my lunch... I need to read it again because I don't really know what to make of it.
...parts of it were pretty?
...I am gonna read Rulk, then this again... then write my review.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I read this during my lunch... I need to read it again because I don't really know what to make of it.
...parts of it were pretty?
...I am gonna read Rulk, then this again... then write my review.

The Battlegirl page was like an unexpected kick in the nuts.

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:59 pm

House of J wrote:The Battlegirl page was like an unexpected kick in the nuts.

Jailbait underboob FTW. :?

Also, if I'm remembering what I heard on a podcast right, she's been hooking up with her brother in Savage Dragon. :? :?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm

amlah6 wrote:Jailbait underboob FTW. :?

Also, if I'm remembering what I heard on a podcast right, she's been hooking up with her brother in Savage Dragon. :? :?

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Hooking up like fucking her brother in a sex-like manner? :|

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

IMAGE UNITED

I just don't know what to say. I'm back in the 90's. I don't know shit about Liefelds' characters, but they suck and I don't like them and I dislike Liefeld's art. I do like Larsen and the Savage Dragon, but his art seemed off here to me. He does get points for the giant shark guy tho, he was cool, I REALLY don't know Silvestri's characters like at all, cept for Witchblade, his art is ok at best. Shadowhawk will always be a guilty pleasure of mine, some of the first comics young Kerny ever read. But WHY THE FUCK IS SHADOWHAWK NOT A BLACK GUY. This offends me. Obviously some change I was not made aware of. I understand Portacio's character is new for this, he had a retarded look, but Portacio's style is ok to me. Mcfarlane would probably be my favorite out of the bunch and so his art looked the best here to me. The jam pieces work pretty well, its not like they all bring A LARGE VARIETY of styles to the table. The writing seems dumbed down, but cmon, look what he has to write.(it's Liefeld's characters who sound borderline retarded) It also has like a Haunt interlude in the bac that takes place between two issues which I thought was neat because I like Haunt. So overall, I didn't really like it. Its more of like a car crash that I can't stop looking at (cliche, but so is this book) but do I continue on? IDK peeps, I just don't know

Story: Who gives a fuck
Art: how does one rate this?

Liefeld gets a 2
Larsen a 5
Silvesti a 4
Valentino a 5
Portacio a 6
McFarlane a 8

So uh 30 divided by 6 = 5. There we go

Overall a 5

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext