Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:16 pm

As an Image fanboy (more of a fan of the recent output with other creator-owned books like Proof, Mice Templar, Strange Embrace, etc) I felt this was a mess. I WAS a big Spawn fan for the past few years until McFarlane came back into the book and Larsen's Savage Dragon is still a lot of fun to read. Kirkman is a great writer and I can't understand what he was trying to do here. Some of the plot is there and we're introduced to a weird series of events, but I don't feel this issue portrayed enough potential that it had when the idea was first presented. I didn't hate it nor did I like it. It was just there.

Some stuff bugged me like at one point a character was one place and the next continuing panel somewhere else. I'll stay on for the next few issues because I do think that some stuff could improve, mostly the story.

And Powerhouse is actually a great SD villain for all the naysayers.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Advertisement

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:29 pm

wow this was a really bad comic. The art was all filled with 90's muscle poses and big fights. The story was all over the place. I still don't know why all the heroes were brought together in the first place. As much as i love kirkman he has also succeeded in letting me down big time. Invincible 60 was not good and this was 10 times worse. I just didn't care about anything going on and seeing this much Liefeld made me want to vomit. I had a feeling this would suck hard but i still got it for the review group and just to try it out but damn this was so bad i wanna sell my copy as fast as possible.

Art 3 (1 for liefeld and 5's for everyone else)
Story 1 (Made no sense and I just don't care)
Overall 2

Dammit Kirkman stick with walking dead and invincible and leave this crap alone!!!!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Old Man wrote:Just got an email this morning from my comic book guy asking me to make sure I check my copy of the hardcover for off-printed pages and glue damage, as his is all mucked up. (Get it? Swamp Thing...mucked up?) :!:

my pages had some glue issues but nothing damaged, have not noticed any off sets yet, will let you know if I do. Funny last time the cover was sticky, this time the interior. I think Alan Moore is secretly shipping us "gifts" w/ the hcs.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:43 pm

So, besides punching people and having a head-fin what can Savage Dragon do?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:34 pm

My review may be late this week, I was at a Funeral today so obviously couldn't get to a comics shop to buy this, and I don't know when I'll get a chance to go in the next few days. That's if I can find it at all, what with the sellouts.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Just picked up a copy of this. I have to say it looks terrible.

I'll post my review and pick by the start of the weekend :D

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Chubbles wrote: I had a feeling this would suck hard but i still got it for the review group and just to try it out but damn this was so bad i wanna sell my copy as fast as possible.

Me too! What cover did you get? It looks like if I can get my blank version up on eBay pretty quick I may be able to get full cover+shipping for it.

If I could just trade it for another comic out this week, I think I would trade it for Iron Man. That was the book I didn't buy in place of the Review Group book.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:57 pm

What the fuck was this shit? Did I read a comic? This is by far the worst thing we've read since franklin richards except that book had a plot. I think it was about robot turkeys and this was just about...well I think it might have been a thanksgiving induced hallucination. How did any of the creators involved with this look at the finished product and say, "Man, this is one great comic." or even during the creation of it did they hand around the pages and not say, "What the fuck did he just draw? Someone get me a new pencil and hand full of shrooms." Seriously this comic is a mess beyond belief. This series could be Kirkmans "I'm an overexposed shitty writer moment, please don't hold it against me." Hell it happened with Bendis and Avengers Dissembled maybe it's just Kirkmans turn. Anyway this book was a mess, I can't even mess with punchy on a best line because I doesn't feel like there was any dialogue, if I could give this book a 0 I would but seeing as Amlah like me before him likes to keep things 1-10 I give Image United a .5
Last edited by guitarsmashley on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Who will dare give this book the highest score in the group? Whoever it is should be shunned forevermore! Currently, Old Man's bafflingly high score of 6 holds the distinction--but some reviewers often dislike a book but somehow manage to pretend to attempt to justify a score of 7 or even higher! Who will dare to like this book???

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 pm

House of J wrote:Who will dare give this book the highest score in the group? Whoever it is should be shunned forevermore! Currently, Old Man's bafflingly high score of 6 holds the distinction--but some reviewers often dislike a book but somehow manage to pretend to attempt to justify a score of 7 or even higher! Who will dare to like this book???

When I started participating in this group I might have given it a 4-6 but after years I have grown bitter.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm

House of J wrote:Me too! What cover did you get? It looks like if I can get my blank version up on eBay pretty quick I may be able to get full cover+shipping for it.

If I could just trade it for another comic out this week, I think I would trade it for Iron Man. That was the book I didn't buy in place of the Review Group book.

i got the jim lee cover...he's got the most talent of the group when he wants to so i got that...i should have got the blank one now that i think about it, those blank covers keep their value fairly well, especially around con season

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:20 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:When I started participating in this group I might have given it a 4-6 but after years I have grown bitter.

When I read over the past selections, I understand. :wink:

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:21 pm

the more i think about this book the angrier i get, i feel like i got fucking robbed, that was probably the worst comic i've read in the past 5 years

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Chubbles wrote:the more i think about this book the angrier i get, i feel like i got fucking robbed, that was probably the worst comic i've read in the past 5 years

We were both Robbed, then Todded. It was Larseny.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I actually want to get the blank cover for this, so I can draw my own cover.:)

I don't want to spend the money though.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand