Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Hey how 'bout that, I grabbed the last one of these at my shop! I will read it during the Civil War tonight.

I got to the shop at noon and got the only copy out. I was really glad they had Supergod #2. & Dingo #1.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 pm

House of J wrote:I got to the shop at noon and got the only copy out. I was really glad they had Supergod #2. & Dingo #1.

I was a bit worried that they wouldn't have it... hopefully the rest of the group has the same luck.

Dingo #1? What is that?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:56 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I was a bit worried that they wouldn't have it... hopefully the rest of the group has the same luck.

Dingo #1? What is that?

New BOOM! book--very very Vertigo in tone. (I am getting a little worried Marvel may buy them next year to keep the Disney properties they have done well with when the contracts run out and to match DC's Vertigo line. Or maybe that would be a good thing, I dunno. Right now Mark Waid is doing a great job on his own.)

ANYWAY, Dingo #1 is by people I am not familiar with, written by Michael Alan Nelson and drawn by Francesco Biagini. It's a really good debut issue, moves along nicely and teases a lot of interesting supernatural mystery. Main character (Dingo) finds giant hellhound named Cerberus, is pursued by bitch & witch of an ex-wife over a mysterious box. Better than that sounds broken down--dialogue slightly stilted but definitely will be buying this to see where it goes.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Jonah Hex #50

Well, that's a tidily-written, nicely-illustrated Westerny story. Wikipedia claims Hex's stuffed corpse will someday be owned by Booster Gold and displayed in a Planet Krypton restaurant. :? Karma is a bitch.

It's not something I'd read on a monthly basis, but I'm glad the Western is still represented in the market for fans of the genre. Sometimes Hex stories push the boundaries more than this, this was a solid if sad chapter of the bounty hunter's life.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

I think the DC Christmas special would be really cool! Perfect timing.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:30 pm

starlord wrote:I think the DC Christmas special would be really cool! Perfect timing.

I would respectfully bow out for the week in the event that book is selected for reviewing.

Part of it is the $5.99 price, part is the fact that they are rarely a good read.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 pm

House of J wrote:I would respectfully bow out for the week in the event that book is selected for reviewing.

Part of it is the $5.99 price, part is the fact that they are rarely a good read.

well as long as you did it repectfully and not like Punchy with the Teen Titans fiasco. :P

I do agree with you that the price tag is quite high, though. That's a big deterent.

And Old Man, sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope you get better real soon.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 pm

starlord wrote:well as long as you did it repectfully and not like Punchy with the Teen Titans fiasco. :P

I do agree with you that the price tag is quite high, though. That's a big deterent.

And Old Man, sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope you get better real soon.

Yeah, if I were sick I'd want some damn comics.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:22 pm

starlord wrote:And Old Man, sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope you get better real soon.

I'll be fine. Just not feeling well, and didn't want to take a chance, albeit remote, of infecting young Maxwell Kent.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 pm

House of J wrote:Yeah, if I were sick I'd want some damn comics.

I have enough back issue comics to start my own comics shop. I probably have at least 1000 comics that I haven't read.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 pm

I've missed going to comic shops on a weekly basis so I've decided to join you numbskulls. here's my review:

While Darwyn Cooke's art may give Punchy boners, it gives me feelings that I only experience when I see a half-naked Salma Hayek wet from, what I can presume, showering in slow-mo. I got more than just a boner. I got a boner, orgasm, and premature ejaculation ('cause I read too quickly). Kleenax please.

Seriously, though, a comic book only succeeds when the story is great. The art, while an intregal part of the story, only goes so far when the writer has no skills. Not the case with Jonah Hex #50. In a perfectly crafted story, Palmiotti and Gray cover Jonah Hex and Tallulah Black's lifes over a brief amount of time with much of the focus on Tallulah. While Jonah does his bounty hunter thing, Tallulah retires and lives a fairly normal life until Jonah's problem becomes her's and her problem becomes his.

Palmiotti and Gray tell a complete and satsifying story in less than 50 pages while there are graphic novels and trades out there that cannot even make that claim in 200. Story-wise, it doesn't get better.

As for the art, I'm a big fan of Cooke's and his art has become more detailed and more suited for this story. The panel of Jonah Hex killing a man while the man leaves an outhouse is an instant classic.

this was the best comic book story i've read in awhile and deserves the grade it gets big time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 am

starlord wrote:well as long as you did it repectfully and not like Punchy with the Teen Titans fiasco. :P

HoJ never does anything respectfully! :P

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 am

This was a pleasant surprise. This was my first Jonah Hex book and I must say I am a little curious why I never picked this up before. I love Westerns and comics are my hobby so they'd make a perfect match. The only thing is it seems this Jonah Hex character is almost supernatural in his abilities so i'd probably get bored with him just killing everyone with ease after awhile. If it were slightly more believable this would become a favorite of mine. I was glad the story was a nice done in one issue and darwyn cooke is fucking brilliant. There are those styles that I just love, JRjr, Bachalo, Ramos and Cooke. All different but all equally awesome imo. This was a very touching book at times and the story flowed nicely. I may look up some old trades to see if I like those befor deciding to add this to my pull but there is some potential here to be something I could enjoy monthly.

Story 8

Art 9

Overall 8.5

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

Chubbles wrote:This was my first Jonah Hex book and I must say I am a little curious why I never picked this up before. I love Westerns and comics are my hobby so they'd make a perfect match....I may look up some old trades ...

By old trades, if you mean the stuff before Palmiotti and Gray, that Hex is quite similar to what these guys have done, but I find the quality to be lesser in the older stuff.

I am not a big fan of the writing of Palmiotti and Gray, but I do think this is the best Jonah Hex.

(And I am not saying that P&G are bad writers, just that their stuff doesn't grab me.)

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:47 am

when did palmiotti and gray come onto the book?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand