Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:48 am

Punchy wrote:It was because it reduced the Spirit to a superhero, It seemed that Cooke used the supervillains more in 12 issues than Eisner did in 30 years. He didn't distill anything to it's essence, just presented something in a form more palatable to superhero nerds.

He wasn't a super hero at all? He was a vigilante sure. He revealed no powers. A 1/4 of the issues were about his relationships. There was the fourth wall breaking. Seriously, what book did you read? The Octopus never showed up ONCE in Cooke's run. I seriously think you read a different book or are confusing it with Sergio's run dude. Because you keep describing a completely different Book.

Cooke's run had Noir stories, spy stories, romance stories, heist stories. It was anything other than a one note hero takes down a villian book.

You are also showing your bias against some preconceived notion of what Batman is.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Punchy wrote:No need to play the race card!

"British" is not a race. It's a medical condition.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Old Man wrote:"British" is not a race. It's a medical condition.

I thought it was a virus like H1N1. I wish they would get a vaccine already. This is a worse problem than the AIDS.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Cooke's Spirit is far better than the Aragones and Evanier Spirit. If Cooke was still doing it, it would not have been cancelled.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Old Man wrote:Cooke's Spirit is far better than the Aragones and Evanier Spirit. If Cooke was still doing it, it would not have been cancelled.

I thought it was getting a relaunch with the doc savage and black hawks stuff. I miss The Shadow. :(

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 pm

Punchy wrote:Aragones and Evanier's run was better than Cooke's writing-wise.

I know The Spirit is not set in stone, but still, Cooke's run wasn't especially interesting enough to merit such a different, superheroey tone. Especially when so many readers were claiming it was faithful to Eisner.

you sir are insane! :lol: The spirit isn't a superhero though by the way, he's a pulp character that fits into detective stories.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Punchy wrote:No, you're wrong, and It seems to me you didn't read the run that closely.

i'm not sure you understand the spirit as a character or his world. :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:45 pm

doombug wrote:i'm not sure you understand the spirit as a character or his world. :?

I'm not sure he knows who Will Eisner, Mark Evanier, Sergio Aragones, or Darwyn Cooke is.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm confused what Punchy was reading myself. I read pulpy noir stories under Cooke. With Silk and the reporter being the two major flames for Colt. Of course his longtime girlfriend, the chief and a certain cab driver were around as well.

the only time we even got close to the super villian stuff was those last 2 issues where a certain person was out to kill Denny and end his career.

I mostly remember spy stories, a chase through the sewer and a few whodunnits. Othr then that...no super hero stuff. :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm not sure he knows who Will Eisner, Mark Evanier, Sergio Aragones, or Darwyn Cooke is.

Obviously not, I read the entire run before it was cancelled (it is getting relaunched but sadly nothing can top what Darwyn did) and it's definitely not Sergio's best work.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:He wasn't a super hero at all? He was a vigilante sure. He revealed no powers. A 1/4 of the issues were about his relationships. There was the fourth wall breaking. Seriously, what book did you read? The Octopus never showed up ONCE in Cooke's run. I seriously think you read a different book or are confusing it with Sergio's run dude. Because you keep describing a completely different Book.

Cooke's run had Noir stories, spy stories, romance stories, heist stories. It was anything other than a one note hero takes down a villian book.

You are also showing your bias against some preconceived notion of what Batman is.

The Octopus was in at leas 3 issues of Cooke's.

And how many times did he use that Vulture dude?

doombug wrote:you sir are insane! :lol: The spirit isn't a superhero though by the way, he's a pulp character that fits into detective stories.

That's exactly what I'm saying, Cooke got it wrong.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 pm

[quote="Punchy"][/quote]
The Octopus is mentioned in the first Silk issue but I don't remember him being in any of the others, at all. Sergio used him extensively.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:The Octopus is mentioned in the first Silk issue but I don't remember him being in any of the others, at all. Sergio used him extensively.

Your memories are wrong.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Punchy wrote:Your memories are wrong.

It could be possible that you read the books backwards too. :roll:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm

In Cooke's run we saw the Octopus twice, the first was in the spirit/batman crossover. the second time he was almost like a ghost that denny colt was trying to chase down and we see him from behind.

This is a personal favorite comic run of mine Punchy, I know things. 8)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand