Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26800
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Punchy wrote:A lack of understanding of the medium?

What the fuck? Calm down.

Stop talking out your ass about things that it is obvious you have no clue about and I will.

Advertisement

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm

thefourthman wrote:Stop talking out your ass about things that it is obvious you have no clue about and I will.


Stop insulting me for no fucking reason man.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, OLD MAN CHOOSE A BOOK FOR NEXT WEEK NOW PLEASE.


Translation: I would really like a subject change right sbout now.

:D

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:00 pm

House of J wrote:Translation: I would really like a subject change right sbout now.

:D


You don't have to be Cypher to work that out!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26800
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Stop insulting me for no fucking reason man.


I have said that you are acting this way and that, I have never said that you are a twit. I generally like you, but you have shown an ignorance in this conversation that is ludicrous in its depth and quite frankly it has me concerned about you. From this discussion, I can only come to one of two conclusions - you are either insane or doing the worst ever performance art.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:I have said that you are acting this way and that, I have never said that you are a twit. I generally like you, but you have shown an ignorance in this conversation that is ludicrous in its depth and quite frankly it has me concerned about you. From this discussion, I can only come to one of two conclusions - you are either insane or doing the worst ever performance art.


I'm not doing performance art, I was just very underwhelmed by this run, I had this very argument with other posters when the book was coming out.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13200
Likes: 410 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Issue #1 - Amos Weinstock is the villian, The Spirit saves a young reporter from possible death at the hands of Amos and his goons. No appearance of a certain villain and no super heroics.

Issue #2 - Madam P'gell and the Spirit meet at a party being held in her honor and soon he saves her from an attack and she double crosses him. Once again no appearance from a certain villain and Denny is played the fool.

Issue #3 - We get a flashback to the past as Denny does his best search for the man responsible for his death. Once again no appearance from a certain villain.

Issue #4 - Silk Satin joins the supporting cast as her and Denny do their best to make it out of the desert in one piece. Octopus finally makes his first appearance in the series for one page.

Issues #5 - The Spirit finds himself appearing on the can of porked beans and finds out it's all a scam that Mister Carrion is a part of. Once again no appearance from the Octopus and all through these first 5 issues nothing that would constitute a super hero. More pulp detective stories.

Issue #6 - A story about a man named Blue who was a musician who lived kind of a sad life. Once again no superheriocs or appearance from the octopus. Palmiotti,

Issues #7 - Kyle Baker and Walt Simonson stop by for a "summer spectacular which has 3 stories all of the pulp set and once again no appearance from the octopus.

Issue # 8 - Satin, the reporter and Denny all apear in this issue which is about a mission that Silk is on to stop the Octopus who is never seen in the actual issue, just referenced, Oh and Ellen gets angry at our resident hero. Once again then no super hero stuff, just a spy story about a bomb.

Issues #9 - Denny is seriously hurt and we get to follow a certain cabdriving young man who is attacked by a very undead looking mortez. No octopus and really no superheroics again. But the first time the story ends on a cliffhanger.

Issue #10 - Another done in one mystery that features our reporter from the first issue and nothing that could constitute a super hero. No appearance from the octopus and just another pulpy mystery story.

Issue #11 - Mortez summons the dead to his aid and attacks the spirit and honestly it feels more like a horror story then anything super hero like. The supporting cast is featured heavily and there's a lot of blood that gives a hopeful ending. No appearance from the octopus.

Issue #12 - More is revealed about Denny and Sand's past as well as plenty of noir storytelling. No appearance from the octopus and it's a satisfying ending to darwyn's run.

So in summation Punchy...reread the book because I just proved you wrong. This is pulp and noir and nowhere near super heroes. it's mobsters, missing girls, damsels in distress, fear of the dead and rebirth. Darwyn Cooke's run on the spirit is exactly the opposite of what you've described. His archnemesis only appears once physically.

Seriously how the hell can you ven think this is a superhero book when most of the stories are crime, mystery and spy based?

I really think you started this argument with Lee just to extend the page count of the thread, :lol:
Image

Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:10 pm

When did I say that the Octopus appearing was what made it a superhero book?

Fighting zombies and that stupid blue dude were superhero concepts. Plus Mister Carrion.

It was not what the Spirit should be.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26800
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm not doing performance art, I was just very underwhelmed by this run, I had this very argument with other posters when the book was coming out.

I have never once argued with you about the quality of the book - that is subjective. However, the lack of villains in the book, the lack of super hero antics, the pulpy feel of the book are pretty much objective qualities that can be proven. If you think that this is not like Eisner's run and everyone else is telling you that it is, it is possible, just possible that you are wrong - not the rest of the world.

It's cool, it is alright to be wrong every once in a while. But to talk to some one with stacks of READ pulp books at home, to some one that has read about half of Eisner's Spirit and about three quarters of his entire output, and to tell him that he doesn't understand pulp or Eisner is a losing argument for you my friend, because it is just wrong.

The level you have been wrong about this is absurd. It is like me talking to you about Bendis, you bringing me a fact that refutes whatever I said, and me not backing down (which I do by the way, you can accuse other people of not bowing to facts, but not me, I have and always will). And you had the audacity multiple times to tell me I was wrong and then you wonder why I got upset. Fuck you dude.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:I have never once argued with you about the quality of the book - that is subjective. However, the lack of villains in the book, the lack of super hero antics, the pulpy feel of the book are pretty much objective qualities that can be proven. If you think that this is not like Eisner's run and everyone else is telling you that it is, it is possible, just possible that you are wrong - not the rest of the world.

It's cool, it is alright to be wrong every once in a while. But to talk to some one with stacks of READ pulp books at home, to some one that has read about half of Eisner's Spirit and about three quarters of his entire output, and to tell him that he doesn't understand pulp or Eisner is a losing argument for you my friend, because it is just wrong.

The level you have been wrong about this is absurd. It is like me talking to you about Bendis, you bringing me a fact that refutes whatever I said, and me not backing down (which I do by the way, you can accuse other people of not bowing to facts, but not me, I have and always will). And you had the audacity multiple times to tell me I was wrong and then you wonder why I got upset. Fuck you dude.


No, fuck you.

I just said I didn't like it, and immediately you jump down my throat, forcing me to explain why I didn't like it.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13200
Likes: 410 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Punchy wrote:When did I say that the Octopus appearing was what made it a superhero book?

Fighting zombies and that stupid blue dude were superhero concepts. Plus Mister Carrion.

It was not what the Spirit should be.


The whole fighting zombies thing was caused do to the fact that the man who basically killed Denny in the first place was suddenly back from the dead and feels more like EC comics then any superhero bullshit you could throw into this argument. Plus it actually added suspense and a general nail biting moment into the end of the run.

Mister Carrion is an extremely pulp villian. He doesn't wear any spandex, he doesn't have any powers and basically he follows the bird, not the other way around.

It's exactly what the Spirit should be. Pulpy action with a noir mystery element. Denny Colt is a man who escaped death and got a second chance as the Spirit. Cooke knew exactly how the hell to handle this.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26800
Likes: 156 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Online


Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Punchy wrote:When did I say that the Octopus appearing was what made it a superhero book?

Fighting zombies and that stupid blue dude were superhero concepts. Plus Mister Carrion.

It was not what the Spirit should be.

Read Doc Savage before you discuss what is superhero and what is pulp ever again. Not a fucking comic book Doc Savage, but one of the old pulp novels.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 pm

doombug wrote:The whole fighting zombies thing was caused do to the fact that the man who basically killed Denny in the first place was suddenly back from the dead and feels more like EC comics then any superhero bullshit you could throw into this argument. Plus it actually added suspense and a general nail biting moment into the end of the run.

Mister Carrion is an extremely pulp villian. He doesn't wear any spandex, he doesn't have any powers and basically he follows the bird, not the other way around.

It's exactly what the Spirit should be. Pulpy action with a noir mystery element. Denny Colt is a man who escaped death and got a second chance as the Spirit. Cooke knew exactly how the hell to handle this.


Meh, agree to disagree, but I don't think Zombies have any place in the Spirit, and Cooke's run just felt off.

But whatever, feel free to insult me.

doombug
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13200
Likes: 410 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Holden, Ma


Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Punchy wrote:Meh, agree to disagree, but I don't think Zombies have any place in the Spirit, and Cooke's run just felt off.

But whatever, feel free to insult me.


I didn't insult you, you're mixing me up with Lee who no offense but you basically insulted first. Do you understand pulp, noir, mystery stuff? I'm asking honestly.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34445
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:Read Doc Savage before you discuss what is superhero and what is pulp ever again. Not a fucking comic book Doc Savage, but one of the old pulp novels.


Doc Savage falls into my definition of a superhero, yes he was invented before the term was coined, but he is one. It's like the Angel or Ka-Zar currently appearing as Marvel superheroes, they were in Pulps first.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: admcmei and 76 guests

Advertisement