Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Punchy wrote:Is it to do with my 'lack of understanding of a medium I claim to love'?

Now that's disrespect.

ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:ding ding ding, we have a winner.


You thinking I don't understand comics is completely baseless and wrong, I understand comics, hell, I have a copy of 'Understanding Comics' sitting next to me as I type. I'm writing my dissertation on comics. I understand them just as much as you.

Getting so het up about the pulps or whatever, when I've acknowledged the close relationship they have with comics, and have used them to support my argument... it doesn't make sense.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Punchy wrote:You thinking I don't understand comics is completely baseless and wrong, I understand comics, hell, I have a copy of 'Understanding Comics' sitting next to me as I type. I'm writing my dissertation on comics. I understand them just as much as you.

Getting so het up about the pulps or whatever, when I've acknowledged the close relationship they have with comics, and have used them to support my argument... it doesn't make sense.

you fail to understand the very definitions of the terms, or truly grasp the history. You twisted the information to fit your own viewpoints instead of looking at the history objectively and when facts were presented you dismissed them as the mismemories of an old and obviously inferior mind and furthermore, even admitted to having much the same conversation previously with others.

I'm not saying you can't comprehend what might be happening on a page of a comic book but that you could have such a limited view of what the medium is and its roots as to actually infer that characters who were used as templates for which Superheroes became were actually super heroes and to miss the subtle nuances of the characters and how they are presented.

What was disrespectful was your inability to take any information that was being given to you and digest it, to let it settle and to realize that the people you were discussing things with might be more educated than you on a particular aspect. And that they couldn't possibly be right, because it didn't fit into your preconceived notion of what things were and how they came to be.

And you still can't remove yourself from the argument... it becomes a personal insult instead of a simple statement. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the term pulp means and its relationship to the medium that you say you love. Yes the statement was given in a provocative manner, because to that point and even long after, seemingly and astonishingly to this very moment, you were too stubborn to be swayed by facts and claimed that any interpretation of what they were could only be opinion or supposition, when indeed they could be verifiable and demonstrable.

Sometimes love is changing and yielding, not bullheaded and stubborn. The way you chose to behave in the argument and project your own attitude onto others was shocking and appalling and to be honest, I think less of you now.

To be clear, I certainly joked and kidded before, but you do the same, we all do. But I think I see what others have complained about your techniques and arguments now. Between your inability to allow any one to yield in an argument and your own ability to yield as well, you can be abrasive. Your youthful vigor and passion is commendable, you inability to waiver even in the face of facts is something I truly hope you grow out of.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:you fail to understand the very definitions of the terms, or truly grasp the history. You twisted the information to fit your own viewpoints instead of looking at the history objectively and when facts were presented you dismissed them as the mismemories of an old and obviously inferior mind and furthermore, even admitted to having much the same conversation previously with others.

I'm not saying you can't comprehend what might be happening on a page of a comic book but that you could have such a limited view of what the medium is and its roots as to actually infer that characters who were used as templates for which Superheroes became were actually super heroes and to miss the subtle nuances of the characters and how they are presented.

What was disrespectful was your inability to take any information that was being given to you and digest it, to let it settle and to realize that the people you were discussing things with might be more educated than you on a particular aspect. And that they couldn't possibly be right, because it didn't fit into your preconceived notion of what things were and how they came to be.

And you still can't remove yourself from the argument... it becomes a personal insult instead of a simple statement. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the term pulp means and its relationship to the medium that you say you love. Yes the statement was given in a provocative manner, because to that point and even long after, seemingly and astonishingly to this very moment, you were too stubborn to be swayed by facts and claimed that any interpretation of what they were could only be opinion or supposition, when indeed they could be verifiable and demonstrable.

Sometimes love is changing and yielding, not bullheaded and stubborn. The way you chose to behave in the argument and project your own attitude onto others was shocking and appalling and to be honest, I think less of you now.

To be clear, I certainly joked and kidded before, but you do the same, we all do. But I think I see what others have complained about your techniques and arguments now. Between your inability to allow any one to yield in an argument and your own ability to yield as well, you can be abrasive. Your youthful vigor and passion is commendable, you inability to waiver even in the face of facts is something I truly hope you grow out of.


It seems like we're on the other side of the argument we had over whether Bendis' writing is forced into trade-length stories, even when I proved my argument with facts, you didn't listen. Why should I grow out of something when you yourself haven't?

I never dismissed your age or said you were inferior minded, I just said that Doc Savage is a proto-superhero.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Punchy wrote:It seems like we're on the other side of the argument we had over whether Bendis' writing is forced into trade-length stories, even when I proved my argument with facts, you didn't listen. Why should I grow out of something when you yourself haven't?

I never dismissed your age or said you were inferior minded, I just said that Doc Savage is a proto-superhero.

Go look at that thread, my friend. I conceeded your point about Bendis eventually even though you continued to needle me with it. So what exactly have I not grown out of? You won't let a point die when it is conceded or concede the point, ever.

I believe you said that I misremembered a book I have read several times.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Postby ****** » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Gawd you guys fight boring. :smt011

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:Go look at that thread, my friend. I conceeded your point about Bendis eventually even though you continued to needle me with it. So what exactly have I not grown out of? You won't let a point die when it is conceded or concede the point, ever.

I believe you said that I misremembered a book I have read several times.


I don't think you misremembered, I apologise for that.

I do think your interpretation was wrong.

And I don't remember you admitting you were wrong about Bendis, at least not for a while after, you even made fun of me for using facts.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:25 pm

amlah6 wrote:Gawd you guys fight boring. :smt011


Sorry.

More people should be reviewing Hex #50!

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't think you misremembered, I apologise for that.

I do think your interpretation was wrong.

And I don't remember you admitting you were wrong about Bendis, at least not for a while after, you even made fun of me for using facts.

I was never discussing an intrepretation of Cooke you were and after you did, I said, wow what now? and showed you the error of your ways.

I would never live it down on the interwebz if I didn't make fun of you, but I did stop arguing the point, because you had beat me. I am big enough to admit it. Always have been, when I am wrong, i am wrong. I might make a joke, but I still acknowledge it.

I kept saying He didn't he didn't. You kept saying he did and accused me of remembering incorrectly....
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31782
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Punchy wrote:Sorry.

More people should be reviewing Hex #50!


Jonah Hex is my favorite superhero now.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Gawd you guys fight boring. :smt011

I am trying to teach young grasshopper. You guys just yell at him, he obviously never learns that way. Either you want him broken or don't know how to fix him.


















































































































































































































Oh shit, you guys wanted him to stay broken, didn't you?

Sorry about that.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 27323
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 227 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 pm

House of J wrote:Jonah Hex is my favorite superhero now.
:lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31782
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm all for fixing him if we split the vet bill.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm

House of J wrote:Jonah Hex is my favorite superhero now.


He's as much of a superhero as The Punisher ;-)

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:I was never discussing an intrepretation of Cooke you were and after you did, I said, wow what now? and showed you the error of your ways.

I would never live it down on the interwebz if I didn't make fun of you, but I did stop arguing the point, because you had beat me. I am big enough to admit it. Always have been, when I am wrong, i am wrong. I might make a joke, but I still acknowledge it.

I kept saying He didn't he didn't. You kept saying he did and accused me of remembering incorrectly....


Don't joke, this is serious business.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Advertisement