Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:53 am

Hey, I actually got this book this week! The shop is finally getting a few new books on the shelf during the week apart from subscriptions.

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 am

My comics should get here with the post. Can't wait!!!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:18 am

Jonah Hex #50

Jonah Hex, both the man and the book, are an enigma. As for the latter, this title is made up almost entirely of "done in one" stories, with the exception of one or two longer arcs. I started reading the current series with issue #1 and loved it. After reading so many comics that attempt to tell a two or three issue story over the course of six months, this felt like a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately, the feeling did not last. After twenty issues or so, the format started to feel a bit tired. The stories certainly did not decline in quality, but the title lacked some of the epic feel of the great westerns when all the stories concluded in the course of 22 pages. I eventually dropped the title, reluctantly, because I did not feel that I was getting anything new.

Now we turn to the complications of Jonah Hex the man, which underlies this story. The story begins with a brutal encounter between a group of bounties, Hex, and his sometimes lover, Tallulah Black. We then get a rare tender moment between Hex and Black. Black flees the next day, and Hex falls right back into old patterns, taking a job to bring in fifty bounties.

Meanwhile, we find out that Black is pregnant with Hex's baby, and has opted to give up the bounty hunting life to raise her child in peace. These scenes are contrasted by scenes of Hex brutally taking down his fifty bounties, including a priest that he drags out in the middle of a church service. Hex's actions eventually catch up to him, as the remaining bounties decide to band together in the very town where Black resides.

This story is an excellent example of the inherent tragedy in Hex's life. Underneath his grim exterior, Hex is ultimately a good man. His sense of honor earned him his disfigurement, and anything good that comes into his life eventually turns sour, usually because of his inherent sense of right and wrong. Here, Hex allows himself to open up to a person, which ultimately leads to betrayal and tragedy. At the same time, it is hard not to think that Black was right not to tell Hex about his daughter. Hex lives and breathes trouble, and even without trying he inadvertently led to his daughter's death. Still, despite the pain of this tragedy, Hex remains a decent person. He gets his revenge on the person who ultimately killed his daughter, and gives some closure to Black despite her betrayal. One wonders if Hex's declaration that it is over between him and Black was less to shield himself and more to protect her from the life he leads.

Darwyn Cooke was, as always, brilliant, although he is far from my favorite artist on this title. His pencils are beautiful, but they lack some of the grittiness that should be inherent to this sort of title. Still, Cooke is hard to beat.

This was a great issue, and may have been enough alone to get me back on the Jonah Hex bandwagon. At the very least, I will pick up one or two trades of the issues I do not already have.

Story: 10
Art: 9.5
Overall: 10

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 am

Amlah what are we tracking at? this is starting to like the highest rated book. Is it because it was that good or just so much better than last weeks shitfest.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 85 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 am

I might get around to this tonight... might not. I have started it three or four times.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 am

thefourthman wrote:I might get around to this tonight... might not. I have started it three or four times.

your review or the issue?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 85 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:47 am

guitarsmashley wrote:your review or the issue?

The issue, I haven't read a comic in like 5 days...

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Amlah what are we tracking at? this is starting to like the highest rated book. Is it because it was that good or just so much better than last weeks shitfest.

Maybe it is because I didn't review it.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Copycat.

I just saw a commercial for that Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin movie and I just want to declare that I would wreck Streep.

If that's the current way of saying you'd do her, I agree. I'd devastate her.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 am

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Amlah what are we tracking at? this is starting to like the highest rated book. Is it because it was that good or just so much better than last weeks shitfest.

There would need to be a few more 10's and nothing else below a 9 for it to catch Four Eyes, but it's pretty close.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Should have used the panel with Jonah pointing a Cannon at the guy in the outhouse as the banner, I mean, it goes with the name of the site.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Punchy wrote:Should have used the panel with Jonah pointing a Cannon at the guy in the outhouse as the banner, I mean, it goes with the name of the site.

Had I gotten the issue in time to do a scan I might have.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Im' sorry, I liked this issue, but... it wasn't as great as people are saying.

The art was incredible, I love Cookes art and would kill for him to do more work in the business. The story though felt to me to move to fast, and I feel it shows the problem with done in one stories.

7 out of 10.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Jubilee wrote:Im' sorry, I liked this issue, but... it wasn't as great as people are saying.

The art was incredible, I love Cookes art and would kill for him to do more work in the business. The story though felt to me to move to fast, and I feel it shows the problem with done in one stories.

7 out of 10.

I apologize it wasn't stretched out to 4 issues for trade like the usual garbage you read.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand