Advertisement

Review Group Week 200 - INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #21

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 am

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 am

Chris wrote:I don't get the hate for World's Most Wanted..

It was a very long arc, yes.. but I loved it. Although I imagine it probably does read much better in trade, as I've read it. (well.. the first trade, and then just stockpiling the rest of the issues and reading them at once)

This was the same with the Mr. Fear arc of Brubaker's DD.

I really like my capes and tights books to feel more episodic. The fact that the Most Wanted storyline takes more than one trade to complete is a problem in and of itself.

This issue was a little drawn out but felt 100% less decompressed then that storyline and to be honest I stopped reading it about half way through. There are times I wish floppies would go away, Amlah and I have talked about Locke and Key in the Awards threads, JMS's Thor and Fraction's Iron Man would also fall under working better in a longer format to me. It is just the nature of a style shift, I guess.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 pm

thefourthman wrote:Iron Man's sales have tanked because of World's Most Wanted, the hype behind this storyline picked up the interest in the title, hopefully it remains a decent seller, but when I go from selling ten shelf copies to selling out of twenty the day it goes on sale, the book may be hard to find.

And that's the hard part about ordering comics. Sell 40 copies a month for years, then suddenly sell only 30. Reduce orders by 8, leaving a couple copies for the shelf, and just as suddenly sell out with customers asking for more.

FOC has to have helped immensely in making this easier to handle.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:this has been a good thread with lots of great discussion at the end of the day that is just as important as everyone participating.

The Review Group threads are the most important threads here, because of all that discussion.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Yup FOC is an invaluable tool. That and cycle counts. I don't mind one or two copies of a book for the back issue bins, but the knuckle head who orders and the boss man often conspire to destroy us. I try to keep four or five issues of a book on the new shelf anything older needs to be back issued, so if a book from 6 months ago still has thirty or more copies in bulk packs, I am like what the fuck are you doing? I have to fight to keep some books on the shelves but have CASES of Cap #600 still. It is a never ending battle of fighting cash flow and the secondary mentality of those two buttheads.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:but have CASES of Cap #600 still.

Wow. No profit to be made on those.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Old Man wrote:Wow. No profit to be made on those.

It's a good issue but if I remember correctly the marketing destroyed the buzz completely.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 606 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am

Chris wrote:I don't get the hate for World's Most Wanted..

It was a very long arc, yes.. but I loved it. Although I imagine it probably does read much better in trade, as I've read it. (well.. the first trade, and then just stockpiling the rest of the issues and reading them at once)

This was the same with the Mr. Fear arc of Brubaker's DD.
World's Most Wanted was not slow but the Mr. Fear arc was.

The part that really annoyed me in Bru's Mr. Fear story was the part after Milla, who I've never cared for, pushing Lily into that guy killing him and mr. Fear is shown telling DD thst he knows his wife. That part was just so cliche and lame.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 am

Quick review to show I'm still alive. No really. Still here. Probably not quick, though. I know myself too well.

We discussed this on the podcast on sunday and the only bone I had to pick over this issue was that Cap's shield somehow can carry an electric charge. Yes, even a mystical electric charge doesn't make sense for me (but, apparently, I'm fine with the capes and masks and other crazy stuff I put up with on a weekly basis). You can't tell me Cap hasn't deflected some sort of mystic lightning before. I'm certain someone on here could give you an issue and panel if given enough motivation.

But other than that, this issue is pretty damn awesome. World's Most Wanted was a fun story to play with during the Darkest of Reigns and now that we're getting ready for Marvel's version of Brightest Day (or whatever they call the reunion of the Avengers Trinity), jumpstarting Tony back into the driver's seat of his own title is fun to watch.

Salvador is hitting a stride on this book. I love long term creative teams so I'm digging the fact that the writer and artist have not missed an issue yet. Hell, have they missed a month yet? I seem to recall some issues coming two weeks apart at times. Here's hoping that Larroca at least makes it to issue 25 before they pull him to do other work (I'm guessing an Avengers title is in his future).

Storywise, this issue continues the symbolism from the previous issues. Thor and Cap are both integral in bringing Tony back to the land of the living. Old friends show up looking much less cyborg-like (thanks War Machine #12!). Long standing plot points show up but are explained so that new readers won't have too many question marks over their heads. Pepper loses the glowy ring. Tony gets it. In a surprising twist, Tony doesn't even need it for his four thousandth heart condition, either. This time it's there to help his body heal and do what any other person (who didn't erase his brain) could automatically do.

Oh yeah, there was one last gripe that had little to do with the story itself and is more about timing. As happy as I am about Iron Man coming out regularly (us Iron Man fans suffered the most post Disassembled with the crawling release of Extremis), would it have KILLED them to release this book THIS week and not given yet another spoiler for Cap Reborn? I mean, sure, we could all have guessed this ending but it's the principle of the matter. Maybe I wanted to suspend my belief and think that Red Skull had a chance of keeping Steve's body (if it turns out that that's actually the Red Skull still, I will be... intrigued, actually... they should do that). Third book in two weeks to spoil the ending to Cap Reborn. Bad Marvel, BAD.

But, all in all, The Invincible Iron Man #21, I give you a solid 9. What can I say. I'm an Iron Man fan.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:19 am

This week's pick has 38 pages of new story for only 2.99. Take that Old Man Logan!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:10 am

thefourthman wrote:This week's pick has 38 pages of new story for only 2.99. Take that Old Man Logan!

Doesn't mean shit if the story is bad.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Punchy wrote:Doesn't mean shit if the story is bad.

nice to see everyone is going into this one with no preconceptions. Should be a fun week.

Having a story would make it better than GSWOML.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am

thefourthman wrote:nice to see everyone is going into this one with no preconceptions. Should be a fun week.

Having a story would make it better than GSWOML.

Hey, it doesn't matter to me, since I don't have to buy a copy this week, and I don't think it will be shit, it might be, but the price is, as always irrelevant.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 am

Punchy wrote:Hey, it doesn't matter to me, since I don't have to buy a copy this week, and I don't think it will be shit, it might be, but the price is, as always irrelevant.

price is never irrelevant in a shit economy in a niche market.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 606 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Solid issue.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand