Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Punchy wrote:I would, but they are quite expensive compared to normal trades.

The majority of the Hellboy trades are $17.95. :roll:

If you're talking about the Library Editions, compared to the pricing for DC's Absolutes or Marvel's Omnibus line they're bargain priced.

Dark Horse collected editions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marvel/DC/Image collected editions

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm

amlah6 wrote:The majority of the Hellboy trades are $17.95. :roll:

If you're talking about the Library Editions, compared to the pricing for DC's Absolutes or Marvel's Omnibus line they're bargain priced.

DH also doesn't have the bullshit "Premiere Edition hardcover first, before the TPB" mentality that DC and Marvel have.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jess Nukem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 pm

WALT DISNEY COMICS #701 or SAD ATTEMPT TO RILE TWIGGLET FOR SH*TS AND GIGGLES #305.....

I've read enough of this board to know that one of the more prolific teen Brit posters absolutely HATES talking animals comics. So I'm not surprised at this underhanded lutzing, it's what I expect out of this site. Go big or go home, or whatever.

However, if you were trying to prove the validity of talking animal comics, this was not the best example to showcase. Unfortunately, Boom! Comics are not reprinting Carl Barks stories so we're SOL. However, this comic was not the kiddy colorful trainwreck I'd expected it to be.

The story is just another tired satire of cute, cuddly Disney characters acting as superheroes. Their leader is a non-Disney canon creation who will probably never be seen again after the conclusion of this pastiche. However, he does bear striking similarities to Professor X, showing that X-Men really do go places since the creative team of the comic is European.

The gags are your basic misunderstanding Three's Company style of situations with Donald and Daisy's alter egos fighting like cats and dogs while being each other's squeezes in their civilian lives. The irony is that they keep a secret identity so they don't know that they're really fighting with each other. If this wasn't Disney and that a lot suspension of disbelief was being begged, they might have noticed that their bickering was a little too familiar.

Goofy is just plain goofy and klutzy. Gladstone is too lucky and vain to function. I don't know who the other duck is, I can't remember his name but I never liked him that much. Scrooge is always the asskicker I remember him to be and as he should be. Mickey is just too bland.

And where the heck is Minnie, Pluto, and Clarabelle, the hottest bitch in Disney comics to be found in all of this? Clarabelle would make this comic so much better. Even a simple cameo would be sweet.

Anyway, the writing is a little clunky, but it was translated so you have to give it some leeway to the writer and blame it all on the translator. Because obviously, the artwork is totally capable and dare I say, well paced and with a smooth flow. Writer gets 7/10. Translator 6/10.

The artwork is fantastically cartoony. People poohpooh on cartoony artwork in comics, but in a talking animal comic, this guy is like a Joe Madueria. They still look Disney, but it's nicely modernized without too much deviation. I will post some panels later to show the strengths. However, some details are lacking and we're left with quite a few of panels without a background. I also had to a double take since the lettering and the art didn't mesh too well.

But my belief with all ages comics, especially ones for children is that they should be able to follow a story without the words since a lot of kids really don't know how to read quite yet. Artwork needs to be clear and easy to follow. It's just basic storytelling. Artist gets 7/10.

But I have a soft spot for Disney comics and this beats Archie anyday, especially that marriage trainwreck that's going on right now.

So my overall rating is 7 out of 10. :-D

Last note for Twigglet, I read in a ten year old Wizard magazine that funny animals and Archies are good for a healthy comics reading diet. Read too many Vertigos, you end up becoming a little warped (Nolan'd). So all ages comics provide a really nice balance. :-D :-D
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

Postby ****** » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Chris wrote:DH also doesn't have the bullshit "Premiere Edition hardcover first, before the TPB" mentality that DC and Marvel have.

:smt045

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 am

My shop had issue # 700 but not this one

I do plan on getting to a Iron Man review eventually

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 327 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:34 am

Chris,

GREAT PICK.

Yoni
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:02 am

Oh God Jesse I've just read your review. I am not looking forward to this.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 am

amlah6 wrote:The majority of the Hellboy trades are $17.95. :roll:

$17.95 is more expensive than usual.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 am

Jubilee wrote:Oh God Jesse I've just read your review. I am not looking forward to this.

Now take that feeling and remember it everytime you choose a Bendis book. That's how others feel at that exact same moment.

Not me, of course. I'm a Bendis fanatic. But others...

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 am

starlord wrote:Now take that feeling and remember it everytime you choose a Bendis book. That's how others feel at that exact same moment.

Not me, of course. I'm a Bendis fanatic. But others...

Yeah but Bendis is popular and considered a great writer. This is a kids book!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:58 am

Jubilee wrote:Yeah but Bendis is popular and considered a great writer. This is a kids book!

What is Dark Avengers? The next War and Peace?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 am

starlord wrote:What is Dark Avengers? The next War and Peace?

A mature book aimed at over 6 year olds?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:10 am

Chris wrote:DH also doesn't have the bullshit "Premiere Edition hardcover first, before the TPB" mentality that DC and Marvel have.

Yeah, it would be a shame if the comic book companies mimiced the practices of all the successful publishers who reign supreme in the venue that trades have come to be sustainable product in. :roll:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 am

Kerny wrote:My shop had issue # 700 but not this one

I do plan on getting to a Iron Man review eventually

READ MY POSTS ON THE FIRST PAGE!!!!! :wink:

Postby ****** » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:12 am

Punchy wrote:$17.95 is more expensive than usual.

Only if you're living in the Punchyverse.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand