Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:17 am

Jubilee wrote:A mature book aimed at over 6 year olds?

You know for being the youngest member of the group, you sure are a snob concerning the books aimed at kids.

Kids books are important. Good kids books are more important than any fucking Bendis or Avengers books. I for one want to see this medium exist long into the future and the easiest way to do that is to get readers into the habit at a young age, good kids books do that. That is why I love Bone and that scholastic sells some god awful shit ton at schools, because it means parents see their kids reading something that they not only enjoy, but are passionate about (Kids devour that book) and will seek out comics, either through subscription or through a shop. Either way it means a bigger reading pool for the books. Which means that the medium survives and I maybe get to keep my job longer...

So how about instead of being an ass about reading what was once and still holds the record to this very day as the most widely circulated comic book EVER, how about you just try reading the damn thing without any inhibitions or preconceptions? You might fucking enjoy the damn thing.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:19 am

amlah6 wrote:Only if you're living in the Punchyverse.

$2 extra for half a comic book and cover gallery is okay.
$0.96 more for a collection of one of the most highly regarded comics on the market is too much.

Fucking stupid ass Punchyverse, DDP should cancel that shit. :-D

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am

thefourthman wrote:READ MY POSTS ON THE FIRST PAGE!!!!! :wink:

Ok, but you don't have to yell! I'm not punchy! :x :P

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:50 am

thefourthman wrote:You know for being the youngest member of the group, you sure are a snob concerning the books aimed at kids.

Kids books are important. Good kids books are more important than any fucking Bendis or Avengers books. I for one want to see this medium exist long into the future and the easiest way to do that is to get readers into the habit at a young age, good kids books do that. That is why I love Bone and that scholastic sells some god awful shit ton at schools, because it means parents see their kids reading something that they not only enjoy, but are passionate about (Kids devour that book) and will seek out comics, either through subscription or through a shop. Either way it means a bigger reading pool for the books. Which means that the medium survives and I maybe get to keep my job longer...

So how about instead of being an ass about reading what was once and still holds the record to this very day as the most widely circulated comic book EVER, how about you just try reading the damn thing without any inhibitions or preconceptions? You might fucking enjoy the damn thing.

I just like to think I'm above reading stuff that is primarily aimed at preteens if I'm honest. Stuff like this won't have anything for me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:56 am

hey HOJ, if you around, check your email, I just sent you a fucking whooper dude!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:01 am

Jubilee wrote:I just like to think I'm above reading stuff that is primarily aimed at preteens if I'm honest. Stuff like this won't have anything for me.

it is aimed at eight year olds, i am pretty sure that qualifies as PRE-TEEN.

If you go into it with the preconceived notion that it is worthless, then it will either be a self fulfilling prophecy or it has to work extra hard to impress you which will make you over rate it if you do like it.

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 am

thefourthman wrote:it is aimed at eight year olds, i am pretty sure that qualifies as PRE-TEEN.

If you go into it with the preconceived notion that it is worthless, then it will either be a self fulfilling prophecy or it has to work extra hard to impress you which will make you over rate it if you do like it.

Probably yeah.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:37 am

thefourthman wrote:Yeah, it would be a shame if the comic book companies mimiced the practices of all the successful publishers who reign supreme in the venue that trades have come to be sustainable product in. :roll:

Don't roll your eyes at me, fool! :x

Marvel and DC's trade/HC format is a smart business decision, but that doesn't mean that fans have to like it.

It's basically forcing people to overpay for the stories in hardcover format, or wait longer than necessary for the TPB.

Therefore, as a fan with a limited amount of money to spend on comics, I welcome anytime a publisher doesn't pull that crap.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:43 am

Chris wrote:Don't roll your eyes at me, fool! :x

Marvel and DC's trade/HC format is a smart business decision, but that doesn't mean that fans have to like it.

It's basically forcing people to overpay for the stories in hardcover format, or wait longer than necessary for the TPB.

Therefore, as a fan with a limited amount of money to spend on comics, I welcome anytime a publisher doesn't pull that crap.

I will roll my eyes at you. :roll: Just like I will defend DC's decision to keep HC in print for as long as possible. I am on the business side so I have a unique perspective compared to most fans. I realize that, so when people bitch I respond in kind. And if I use a rollyeyes, people pay more attention.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:46 am

thefourthman wrote:I will roll my eyes at you. :roll: Just like I will defend DC's decision to keep HC in print for as long as possible. I am on the business side so I have a unique perspective compared to most fans. I realize that, so when people bitch I respond in kind. And if I use a rollyeyes, people pay more attention.

Why you...! :x

I have no problem with keeping HC in print. What I have a problem with is releasing things in HC before TPB for everything.

I liked Marvel's HC format in the early 2000's, where they had the oversized hardcover collections that they released after a couple arcs.

That worked much better, IMO. You got the trades in a timely manner, and if you were a HC fan, you could hold out for the oversized collections which collected 2-3 trades.

The smaller premiere sized HC's are crap.

But, like I said, it's smart from a business standpoint.. I mean, I find myself falling for them most times because I don't really want to wait another 2 months for the trade. It's just annoying.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:50 am

Chris wrote:Why you...! :x

I have no problem with keeping HC in print. What I have a problem with is releasing things in HC before TPB for everything.

I liked Marvel's HC format in the early 2000's, where they had the oversized hardcover collections that they released after a couple arcs.

That worked much better, IMO. You got the trades in a timely manner, and if you were a HC fan, you could hold out for the oversized collections which collected 2-3 trades.

The smaller premiere sized HC's are crap.

But, like I said, it's smart from a business standpoint.. I mean, I find myself falling for them most times because I don't really want to wait another 2 months for the trade. It's just annoying.

Marvel still has that program and does the premiere program because DC was starting to get them in dollar share. If DC had failed with their hc program, you would have no problem at all. I do wonder why Marvel HC things like Ms. Marvel though and DC loses me on some collections I would by not HCing or waiting too long to decide to hc it. I would own an entire run of DINI Tec HCs if they had started out doing them, but waiting until the third volume to do them... no thanks.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 am

thefourthman wrote:Marvel still has that program

But only for certain books.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am

Chris wrote:But only for certain books.

It was always only for certain books.... the ones that sold :P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 am

thefourthman wrote:It was always only for certain books.... the ones that sold :P

I've only seen them for Ult. Spidey, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers lately. And events like Civil War, the Annihilations, War of Kings, etc.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Chris wrote:I've only seen them for Ult. Spidey, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers lately. And events like Civil War, the Annihilations, War of Kings, etc.

they decided to omni Daredevil and replaced that one I guess, but they still do Spidey as well and Rulk got one recently.

Warren Ellis's Iron Man is in the current Previews in the format.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand